Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs warning... vsc off... em light

Bxr76

After killing my paintwork a week ago with a jet wash 😞 it seems i may also have upset my back wheel...  it could be complete coincidence but since it was given a good wash I've had warning lights appear on the dash..  quick obd scanner check threw up a p1604 error code so duly booked into a garage who have confirmed there is a fault registering with the rear wheel sensor... question to any more experienced owners... can you damage the wheel sensor (or confuse it) by jet washing the wheels? If it's just confused (as my m4 used to be) will it eventually clear itself or have I done lasting damage and if so does anyone know how easy a fix this is? The garage aren't sure whether the wiring goes into the body of the car or is an external easy fix/bearing replacement without stripping the car down first 🤔 if it's just chucking a wobble because its objecting to my cleaning style I don't want to book it in for major /expensive unnecessary work! Any help/advice greatly appreciated! 🙂

you may have blown some crud into the abs ring and/or sensor

p1604 is that a type-o ? Rear disc or drum ?

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

you may have blown some crud into the abs ring and/or sensor

p1604 is that a type-o ? Rear disc or drum ?

Which is exactly what I used to do with my m4... a quick slam of the brakes always seemed to clear it... no such luck with this car though 😞

the only code showing is the p1604 which is a startability issue but doesn't cover anything to do with the abs/wheels/brakes but the lights are on the dash!

Garage couldn't shed any further light on it but have said it will fail MOT based on ABS light showing 🤦‍♀️ 

Just not sure how I can have warning lights with no code showing? Technology is infuriating!! 

Has the car been in use ?

What is the engine rpm in the freeze-frame data with the engine off and running ?

Can you talk to the abs module ?

not sure what you mean by stripping the car down the loom plugs into the hub/sensor

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Has the car been in use ?

i only bought it  2 weekends ago... used it a handful of times the first week with no issues.. washed it a week last sunday and then it spent all of last week in the garage having a respray... the lights came on afer washing and before going ino the garage (which made me think i was the wash that upset it)  but when i got it back it was also struggling at low revs/when cold which is why i had it checked... i feel like it probably wasn't used much before i bought it (from an elderly couple who said it was the wife's car) so reasoned the P1604 code could relate to an old issue.. it not being used much previously and also not helped by being stood for almost a week in a freezing cold garage being sprayed i guess?!...

the garage just said "it needs to be run" and it seems ok this week with regular use... but the abs lights haven't cleared yet 😞

That being the case i would put a new Battery on it leave the Battery off for 20 mins, and it may clear its self, electronics hate low voltage, the power management module uses a current sense and Battery temp from the battery terminal if it doesn't like what it sees it can cause some odd faults

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

That being the case i would put a new battery on it leave the battery off for 20 mins, and it may clear its self, electronics hate low voltage, the power management module uses a current sense and battery temp from the battery terminal if it doesn't like what it sees it can cause some odd faults

great thankyou.. ill try that! no juddering currently (last week was a nightmare at pull off when cold) incidentally... i bought a bluetooth FM transmitter (as the in car entertainment is obvs old) and it gives a Battery voltage reading... when i first plugged it in it read that the Battery was running something like 12v... (whatever that means)... a week of regular use and whenever i get in now it switches on and reads above 14!

If the car is running, it will show around 14V, it means the alternator is functioning correctly. 

If you plug it in while the car is not running, it should show the Battery voltage, 12.6 or whatever.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links