Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D-CAT white/blue smoke

Zengine

Hi forum

I have tried other forums without luck, so i will try this one. Long story short my 2007 avensis d-cat (273000 km) is smoking when its reaching its operating temperature in both city driving and motorway. Following has been done to the car within the last 15000 km.
- new headgasket
- 2 new main injectors
- dpf cleaned (removed and send to professional dpf cleaning company
- both temperature sensors inside dpf have been replaced with new ones
- new original 5th injector and cleaning of the injector housing/channel
- egr and intake manifold cleaned

The car is not consuming any oil or coolant.

The only time the car isnt smoking is when im driving on the motorway with 120 km/h with around 2000 rpm.

Ive tried 2-3 mechanics who arent sure what the cause is. Some say turbo some say injectors. Im thinking sensor, connector or wiring issues. Ive collected some data with techstream and I was thinking maybe a friendly soul would have a look at them and maybe tell me if something looks completely wrong. I would be very thankful.

Car Data.xlsx Car Data2.xlsx

Perhaps:

EG-0004T-0110-EN

Subject: White smoke from exhaust, DPNR only (D-CAT)

Models: RAV4, Avensis, Auris, Corolla Verso

Model codes: ALA30, ADT251, AUR10, ADE157

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may explain about white smoke from the exhaust.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The ECU software has been improved.

image.thumb.png.71063675f05d995d1646bf9734fac24a.pngimage.thumb.png.57ff06a283626045c66004e1476319f4.pngimage.thumb.png.540d3a735d69f7581647ee57bddd2b57.png

Looking at your data the feedback volume of your 5th injector is greater than 1.4 which would indicate a new 5th injector

Hi Devon

Thank u for replying

Well the funny thing is that I had the same value with the old injector. Could it be a connector or wiring issue?

Looks like there has been a modification on the car back in 2014. Also today I discovered this fat white wire in the fuse box. Does anyone have a clue of what it could be?

IMG_7002.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Good evening from Greece.
 Try changing the pump valve;

I have smoke during warm up and afterwards when the engine is warm. When I unplug and plug back the “efi main 2” fuse than I have no real smoke for a couple of days. Before I unplug the fuse my Exhaust Fuel Addition FB value is 1,45 and after I plug it in it’s 1. When I get smoke after a couple of days the value is again higher than 1

• 6 months later...

No unfortunately. I ended up selling the car. I guess you have the same problem?

yes, it's intermittent. i'm trying to figure it out

This subject has been discussed many times on Toyota and Lexus forums.  I have yet to read a reply that will give a definite solution.  
If you Google your fault, you will find lots of discussions but none of them seem to have the solution to the problem.

Mine does it too, I’ve learned to live with it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I heard it from another source mentioning that one of the user cleaned their DPF at home after removing it and then mounted it back to the car. Later they did a DPF reset to fool the ECU that it is a new DPF and it worked!  I also wanted to give a try!

On 3/17/2021 at 10:09 PM, Zengine said:

Hi forum

I have tried other forums without luck, so i will try this one. Long story short my 2007 avensis d-cat (273000 km) is smoking when its reaching its operating temperature in both city driving and motorway. Following has been done to the car within the last 15000 km.
- new headgasket
- 2 new main injectors
- dpf cleaned (removed and send to professional dpf cleaning company
- both temperature sensors inside dpf have been replaced with new ones
- new original 5th injector and cleaning of the injector housing/channel
- egr and intake manifold cleaned

The car is not consuming any oil or coolant.

The only time the car isnt smoking is when im driving on the motorway with 120 km/h with around 2000 rpm.

Ive tried 2-3 mechanics who arent sure what the cause is. Some say turbo some say injectors. Im thinking sensor, connector or wiring issues. Ive collected some data with techstream and I was thinking maybe a friendly soul would have a look at them and maybe tell me if something looks completely wrong. I would be very thankful.

Car Data.xlsx 304.8 kB · 6 downloads Car Data2.xlsx 169.83 kB · 2 downloads

Hi, I would like to know the DPF unmounting process. I searched the DPF location and could not find it. Can you please tell me how did you take it out ? Is it under the body?

17 hours ago, Savi said:

Hi, I would like to know the DPF unmounting process. I searched the DPF location and could not find it. Can you please tell me how did you take it out ? Is it under the body?

Does your 2009 car definitely have a DPF? Is it the 2.0 or the 2.2? I know that the spec can vary between countries, but in the UK the 2.0 D4D didn't get a DPF until 2011.

On my 2012 2.0 it appears to be down the back of the engine, between the engine and bulkhead.

Yes mine is having a DPF installed. I knew because the Toyota dealer informed me this.  

12 hours ago, Savi said:

Yes mine is having a DPF installed. I knew because the Toyota dealer informed me this.  

It'll be somewhere in the front section of the exhaust, usually just after the turbo. If it isn't then you haven't got one!

Thanks for the reply. I think it is quite a difficult location to remove the DPF.  Do you have any suggestion how to remove the DPF? Does it need to be take it out from  from under the car or some other way?

45 minutes ago, Savi said:

Thanks for the reply. I think it is quite a difficult location to remove the DPF.  Do you have any suggestion how to remove the DPF? Does it need to be take it out from  from under the car or some other way?

I've never removed the DPF, but from looking at mine I think it would help to remove the black plastic scuttle trim at the base of the windscreen. That would give much better access but I don't know if the DPF could be undone and removed completely from the top, or whether you'd also need to work from below. 

I also have this problem and it's really common on these engines. When i had my Avensis T25 removing the DPF was eaiser when the car was on a lift. I'm not sure but I think it's impossible to remove it without the car on a lift. 

This shows how to clean it in the car

On 11/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, ToyotaGang said:

I also have this problem and it's really common on these engines. When i had my Avensis T25 removing the DPF was eaiser when the car was on a lift. I'm not sure but I think it's impossible to remove it without the car on a lift. 

This shows how to clean it in the car

Thanks man for the reply. Unfortunately  I cannot find the temperature sensor on my Toyota Avensis and it is a 2009 D4D engine. 

I talked to a Toyota mechanic about this smoke. There was a update to fix this but it did not work until they found out it's the dpf and not the ECU. He said it's the dpf because when the car smokes there is no more catalyst in the dpf to burn. So when the car regenerates the diesel that gets sprayed in the dpf and the diesel evaporates and thats where the blue smoke is coming from. Also the cars only smoke when they get up to temperature and the ECU is thinking the dpf is ready to regenerate but there is no more catalyst in the dpf so the diesel just everporates. Other automakers said the dpf should be changed every 130000km while Toyota never said that so these D4D go to around 200000km and the dpf is worn out. Many people has tried a aftermarket dpf but it still smoked and it has to be a oem one. He also said if the 5th injector is clogged it's also bad and there is a small chance that it's not the dpf

Great information and it explains why my Toyota dealer said that it cannot be cleaned. But their explanation was not convincing. I think I have to live with this .

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2021 at 3:17 ΜΜ, yossarian247 said:

Δεν έχω αφαιρέσει ποτέ το DPF, αλλά κοιτάζοντας το δικό μου νομίζω ότι θα βοηθούσε να αφαιρέσω τη μαύρη πλαστική επένδυση στο κάτω μέρος του παρμπρίζ. Αυτό θα έδινε πολύ καλύτερη πρόσβαση, αλλά δεν ξέρω αν το DPF θα μπορούσε να αναιρεθεί και να αφαιρεθεί εντελώς από την κορυφή ή αν θα χρειαστεί επίσης να εργαστείτε από κάτω. 

Good morning You must remove the catalytic converter at the same time as the DPF to get the result, otherwise the crazy exhaust will return to the injectors again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links