Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Dipstick

RabButler

Went to check the oil level this morning, because I'm that sort of guy. Car has been stood in the garage for 48hrs. Took a great deal of effort to pull the dipstick out and it came out with a metallic scraping noise. Cleaned it off and put it back to check the level and it didn't want to go back in. The angle appears to be critical, but it is difficult to see which way the tube bends as it goes down below the manifold. Eventually it went in all the way with the last 2 inches making a metallic scraping noise. It is obviously a tight fit and withdrawing the dipstick pulls oil up the tube so putting it back in for a reading is a waste of time as it is way over the full mark. I eventually got a clear reading (normal full) after waiting 10 minutes. Is this a feature of the Toyota 1.8 engine or did the dipstick tube possbly get damaged in the annual service?

• Like 1

Hi, I noticed something similar on previous 1.8 hybrids. However not as bad as you are explaining. You can try to take the dipstick out rotate 180° and put back in, should perhaps goes in easier. I am not sure what actually can be damage , perhaps nothing.  It maybe is just because the dipstick is bend into a shape and after removing if it’s bend other way around might be drugging inside the metal tube that goes in. Btw I am checking my oil at least once a week😂, the bonnet is the most used door after the drivers one on my car🤭
Regards 

• Haha 2

I will go with Tony and agree you try turning the dipstick 180 degree. More then a few of my cars the dipstick goes in easier one way then the other. 
Generally speaking, checking engine oil level is a difficult thing to do, difficult to read the actual level despite how clean you wipe the dipstick.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RabButler said:

Went to check the oil level this morning, because I'm that sort of guy. Car has been stood in the garage for 48hrs. Took a great deal of effort to pull the dipstick out and it came out with a metallic scraping noise. Cleaned it off and put it back to check the level and it didn't want to go back in. The angle appears to be critical, but it is difficult to see which way the tube bends as it goes down below the manifold. Eventually it went in all the way with the last 2 inches making a metallic scraping noise. It is obviously a tight fit and withdrawing the dipstick pulls oil up the tube so putting it back in for a reading is a waste of time as it is way over the full mark. I eventually got a clear reading (normal full) after waiting 10 minutes. Is this a feature of the Toyota 1.8 engine or did the dipstick tube possbly get damaged in the annual service?

Can you be more specific, you say you checked the oil after 48 hours of the car being sat in the garage, when was the last time you checked it and was it the same experience then?  As with most things, if you have to 'force' it you are likely doing something wrong/different.  As TonyHSD and Catlover state, correct alignment is key.  The last couple of inches should see the dipstick clear the block so unlikely a problem at that end, and the handle end should be a tight fit for the last inch or so to give a good seal.

• Like 1

The dipstick tube is not very straight on this engine.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e52d529a7c103005f0a025d97805e98b.jpg

(This isn't my car, by the way - we have an Auris.)

I suspect that the dipstick tube is a soft steel (it's galvanised, but rusts anyway), and the dipstick itself is hard (stainless?) spring steel.  Perhaps this means the dipstick is more able to scratch the dipstick pipe on its way in or out, and cause a drag whilst doing so? 

Not on topic exactly, but interesting to see that the block is still machined to take a starter motor, even though there isn't one in this application.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RabButler said:

I have had the same experience - Reassuring to know it's not just me.

• Like 1

Reply to Rambler - I am normally a very regular oil checker, but the low mileages I am doing at the moment mean that I am not as conscientious as usual. I checked the oil after the service (obviously!) and didn't notice any problem. I have probably checked it monthly since November last. I suspect this is the first time that I have done it with the engine stone cold, so there may be something in that. It definitely only likes to go in one way so maybe it gets set. Echoing Catlover's comment, modern petrol engines are so clean it's often a challenge to find the oil on the stick. Having had diesels for 15 years perhaps I got spoilt!

• Like 1

I have the same experience in the 2003 E Class Estate, so it not just Toyota.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabButler said:

Reply to Rambler - I am normally a very regular oil checker, but the low mileages I am doing at the moment mean that I am not as conscientious as usual. I checked the oil after the service (obviously!) and didn't notice any problem. I have probably checked it monthly since November last. I suspect this is the first time that I have done it with the engine stone cold, so there may be something in that. It definitely only likes to go in one way so maybe it gets set. Echoing Catlover's comment, modern petrol engines are so clean it's often a challenge to find the oil on the stick. Having had diesels for 15 years perhaps I got spoilt!

Checking oil when the engine is cold is more accurate.  The oil takes time to drain back down into the sump after the engine has been running giving potentially bogus readings plus checking hot oil is a potential safety issue.  My car has only 6k on the clock now and the oil still looks as though it has just been poured in fresh.  I check my dipstick against 'reflected' light to spot the tell tale sheen as to where the oil level is up to as looking at it directly can make it difficult to spot (I don't carry my reading glasses in my pocket when I'm doing various levels checks!).

• Like 1

I haven't checked the oil on any car I've owned for over 20 years 😛

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

1. I`ve never owned a car for 20 years Andrue !😊

3 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

2. You might just be a disaster waiting to happen Andrue. Take care.

46 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Does the butler do it for your cars?

49 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Neither has my wife! She also does not know how to top up the windscreen wash either.  Many years ago I asked her to open the bonnet on her car whilst she was sat in it (windscreen wash was empty, winters day, car covered in muck and salt, I'm just heading off to work, in a suit), assuming she could manage to pull the lever, she stuck her hand under the dash and pulled out the indicator servo switch unit! Took 30 minutes upside down, blind under the dash, trying to fit it back in place🙁

• Sad 1

That’s another one of Toyota’s idiosyncrasies 👎

4 hours ago, john p williams said:

2. You might just be a disaster waiting to happen Andrue. Take care.

I highly doubt it. All the cars I've owned over the last 20 years were sold before I'd had them a full four years and didn't even get to 50k miles. I don't rag engines so there is no reason to expect any kind of engine failure.

I'm not going to waste my time checking oil. I keep the windscreen washer fluid topped up and that's all.

Everything else is getting all the attention it needs from an annual service.

And yes, Toyota's bonnet latches are weird. I always have to scrabble about to find it and then I forget that they put the support on the bonnet itself.

• Like 2

All down to personal preferences about the bonnet and checks. I just love to do it, even on company cars, lease cars or rental cars doesn’t matter. First thing to do after I receive the key is to take the car to my drive and get it check thoroughly, wash and interior clean if necessary and then I can called “My Car”, but that’s just me. 🚘😉🇯🇵

• Like 3

In my early years of motoring I owned quite a few elderly bangers and always had the habit of checking the oil levels. It sort of became second nature and the habit has stuck. I just do it even though I know that there is no need 😊

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I highly doubt it. All the cars I've owned over the last 20 years were sold before I'd had them a full four years and didn't even get to 50k miles. I don't rag engines so there is no reason to expect any kind of engine failure.

I'm not going to waste my time checking oil. I keep the windscreen washer fluid topped up and that's all.

Everything else is getting all the attention it needs from an annual service.

And yes, Toyota's bonnet latches are weird. I always have to scrabble about to find it and then I forget that they put the support on the bonnet itself.

Each to their own ,my friend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

All down to personal preferences about the bonnet and checks. I just love to do it, even on company cars, lease cars or rental cars doesn’t matter. First thing to do after I receive the key is to take the car to my drive and get it check thoroughly, wash and interior clean if necessary and then I can called “My Car”, but that’s just me. 🚘😉🇯🇵

Me too !

• Thanks 1

The only car that I won’t do that will be a Tesla, not because there is no engine under bonnet but because you need to open it via the screen , no handle, no cables 😂👍

53 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

In my early years of motoring I owned quite a few elderly bangers and always had the habit of checking the oil levels. It sort of became second nature and the habit has stuck. I just do it even though I know that there is no need 😊

My first car was a BL Mini and I had to top the oil up every week. I used to joke that it got through almost as much oil as petrol. After a long run I had to keep the revs up or it would stall.

Then I had two Austin Metros (the second was a special Jet Black edition that I have fond memories of) that occasionally needed a top-up.

Then I switched to Nissan and no more need to top up oil. By the time I moved onto Honda I'd stopped checking.

I usually check every few weeks. Not had any oil guzzlers in recent years.  However, the Mark 2 Skoda Fabia VRs was notorious for using up it's oil, and engine failures were common from 30,000 miles. So even relatively modern cars can suffer, so i feel it's worth checking.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:03 PM, RabButler said:

...Cleaned it off and put it back to check the level and it didn't want to go back in. The angle appears to be critical, but it is difficult to see which way the tube bends as it goes down below the manifold. Eventually it went in all the way with the last 2 inches making a metallic scraping noise. It is obviously a tight fit and withdrawing the dipstick pulls oil up the tube so putting it back in for a reading is a waste of time as it is way over the full mark.

It's weird, isn't it? I've had this every time I check the oil. That's about once a month which is probably sufficient for current car use 2-3 times a week.

I try to push the dipstick in gently, twist and turn it until I get little resistance, that seems to work, it then goes in completely. It is a bit of a faff though.

• Like 1

I miss not having to top up the 12 volt Battery with distilled water.... My first car, a 17 year old Ford Anglia, needed topping up at least once a month!

51 minutes ago, Timmon said:

I miss not having to top up the 12 volt battery with distilled water.... My first car, a 17 year old Ford Anglia, needed topping up at least once a month!

Funnily enough, I saw an Anglia this morning, it was fairly shifting and didn't sound like it should have sounded so, obviously souped up a bit.

• Thanks 1