Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo 2016 vvti engine tyres size

Tom P

Hello 

Quick question what are the wides tyres which can be fitted on factory rims. Currently 165/60/15 but would like to make them wider ( just a little and be still road legal) 

Thanks 

Don't forget to tell your insurance company, anything apart from the recommended size may invalidate your policy.

Tom, can I ask why you want wider tyres?   Tyre width is normally a compromise between all the factors, from rolling resistance (efficiency), grip, power, aqua planning, weight, etc etc, the list seems endless.   One the engineers tend to get about right.  My Aygo and my older C1 don’t need more grip, in fact I feel adding more grip would actual spoil the playfulness of the chassis.

That said tyre quality, age and life also plays a part.  The C1 I purchased second hand last year had a mix match of cheep tyres (all legal), which where the first thing to replace.  Tyres are one area where running any car on a shoe string just is a big no no in my book.   The C1 has come alive since the boots where replaced with quality brand tyres, it’s gone from scary to fling into a corner, to being a joy.     

Hi was wondering if for example 175 will improve handling grip apart of fuel efficiency offcourse. I'm not looking for massive changes. Also will be looking good too slighlty different than common. I will take Your advice and leave it as it is. 

Thank 

I am keeping standard but will change them for the higher weight rating 85 rather than 77, because I carry a lot of stuff about with me.

Tom do some research and find tyres that fit your style of driving and what your want from your car.   Unfortunately the tyre size reduces your choices, i.e your not going to find a track day tyre in standard Aygo fitment, but you can look at the labelling and read reviews to get an idea.   They don’t publish grip on the EU label, but its almost the inverse of efficiency.   So when I was looking for the C1 tyres I went for the lowest efficiency, highest wet braking I could find from a brand I respected.   I went for Avon ZT7, efficiency was only E and wet braking B, meaning grip was the focus compared to a tyre that was offering higher efficiency (less grip) and lower wet braking performance.   I am a little bias towards Avon because Avon Motorsport make the tyres for my hobby car.