Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo automatic

petroleum

Hi,

i have 2014 auto second generation which has only done 22,000 miles but already im concerned about the reliability of this drive etc  Ive seen reports that the later newer model has been improved a lot with issues like water leaks, a better gear change sorted. Is this true and anything else you can say about them or should i avoid them!?

The second generation (2014 onwards) have a developed version of the multimode transmission - X-shift. As far as I'm aware, later versions of the second generation didn't have improvements re the transmission. There were modifications to the engine to make it cleaner in terms of emissions. Bear in mind the transmission is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch.

As regards water leaks in the second generation, this area seems much improved, and I've only seen approx two reports of supposed leaks on these forums - in both instances owners haven't returned to the club to report whether these were actually leaks.

Hi, thanks, this is from a site called Autoevolution on the later Aygo but disturbing readings on the  Mmt Gearbox ? but do you know if these are more like isolated incidents and perhaps like i first thought maybe the later AYGOS are mostly okay now?

Improved engine also leads an updated gearbox - the optional x-shift automatic which can be had instead of the manual five-speed one.

The x-shift gearbox is an automated manual transmission, meaning that there is no clutch pedal and all the shifting is done by a computer and some actuators mounted on the transmission’s case and clutch itself. The gear ratios have been revised for better balance of driving pleasure and fuel economy.

Also, the new gearbox comes with extra modes to help the driver tune the car’s behavior. By selecting E (Easy Mode), M (Manual) or R (Reverse) the car will be able to ‘creep’ like a conventional automatic. In E mode the system selects a suitable gear according to the accelerator pedal, speed and driving conditions. There is also a kick-down function which can be by-passed via the steering wheel-mounted paddles.

AFAIK the revised gear ratios came in with the later mark1s both manual and auto.

The 'extra modes' were also available when choosing the MMT option on the mark1s.

The MMT was available from very early on in the mark1s they called it MMT instead of x-shift - but it's the same thing.

Seems to me that article has been very poorly researched as all the things they claim are new or updated are AFAIK nothing of the sort.

I guess the only thing to do is try one down the road as it cant be any worse than the one I've got. But here im am thinking ive just got use to the how this thing drives only to read about problems of actually starting them and other problems were people are not confident if they are going to work properly on the day. Are these just isolated incidents? Also, i saw somewhere that there was a software down load for the Yaris MMT to improve drivability do you know if there is one for the AYGO? thanks. 

Which Aygo do you have? You said in your first post the second generation, which would be mid 2014 to present - so you would already have the X-shift. Or do you have a late first generation 2005-mid 2014.

cars-toyota-aygo-2013-61152.jpg

First generation

2015-toyota-aygo-11.jpg

Second generation.

Hi,

i have the first generation the top one not the x shift. I thought there was a model before mine which was a different shape slightly which was the model that had the smaller clutch. So now it is understood does that make a difference to my first questions?

13 minutes ago, petroleum said:

Hi,

i have the first generation the top one not the x shift. I thought there was a model before mine which was a different shape slightly which was the model that had the smaller clutch. So now it is understood does that make a difference to my first questions?

Yes. As I said previously the X-shift is a development of the MMT.

There have been far fewer queries on this forum re problems with the X-shift compared to the MMT.

As regards water leaks, from memory, there have only been a couple or so of complaints for the second generation - and certainly with the two most recent topics on supposed leaks, it wasn't confirmed by the OPs as to whether they did actually have water leaks.

I've had no issue with water leaks on my 2016 Aygo.

Thanks for that. Just one more question. What is your opinion on the the later shape Avensis from 2015 16 1.8 CVT i think it was. Was that drive reliable? and wasn't the oil burning problems solved with the later models. I believe the older diesel models say 2011 12 had a torque convertor box which i miss, although unless your using it out of town mostly your going to have DPF problems but isn't there a way of adding a fuel cleaner on a frequent basis to the system if you know what your doing do get round this?