Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key fob battery power

Christie

I leave the Prius parked in the garage with the key fob in the cup holder. Does this action drain the key fob Battery charge?

It could be if key and the car are communicating all the time. Best to keep the key away from the car in metal box, Faraday case or cola can this prevents transmission of any signals from the key fob, good against theft too. 👍

• Like 3

Are you saying you leave your car unlocked in the garage with the key fob in it?

My car is in the garage but its fully locked.  I am sure if my garage was broken into and my car was stolen I would get zero luck with an insurance payout due to it having basically been left unlocked with the key in it 🤨

• Like 2

With my insurer, two of several conditions in the policy state they won't pay out as regards damage, theft or attempted theft:

# If your car is left unlocked or with window or roof open

# If the ignition device (key fob) is left in, on or attached to your car or left in the immediate proximity of the car or in range of where the ignition device is effective.

I would suggest that most UK car insurance policies contain similar conditions. Although your profile shows you are not in the UK, I would check your policy and probably amend how you store your car.

• Like 3

I strongly advise you to always at night, put your key-fob in a Faraday cage. You can usually buy these pouches on eBay quite cheaply & I bought two so that I could keep the spare key-fob in one as well. Even if you have your  key-fob in the house it’s possible for a thief to pick up the signal with some electronic device & use it to open, start & steal your car. Frosty is right about insurance companies not covering you for leaving the car unlocked & you’d have a tough time proving that you had locked it. You’re better safe than sorry!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your most useful response. I will check with the insurers  and get a Faraday box for safety. Your response is appreciated very much. BTW I live in NZ. 😊

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links