Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel?

Wooster

I'm currently a Gen 3 Prius owner and thinking of changing to a 2015-2018 Auris.  Some models seem to have a (space saver) spare wheel and others have a puncture repair kit.  Do all models have space and the support brackets for a spare wheel?  In other words, if I buy a model with a repair kit, can I buy and fit a spare wheel?

I believe all models has space enough and bracket, some people even install a full size wheel. Let see if someone who owns one of these cars confirm at 100% 👍

4 hours ago, Wooster said:

I'm currently a Gen 3 Prius owner and thinking of changing to a 2015-2018 Auris.  Some models seem to have a (space saver) spare wheel and others have a puncture repair kit.  Do all models have space and the support brackets for a spare wheel?  In other words, if I buy a model with a repair kit, can I buy and fit a spare wheel?

Can't answer your question, but certainly seems roomy under the boot floor cover as big block of polystyrene. Mine has repair kit.

What's your budget. Could you buy a Corolla? Seem to be getting cheaper. From 18k for a 2019 one with 10k miles. Would like Icon Tech minimum in Denim Blue. Or Scarlet Flare.

James👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s what I thought, having a gen 3 Prius and then buy an Auris hybrid is like just buying the same car slightly different shape, ok it’s an estate and will have larger boot but that’s it. Corolla is like Prius gen4   A step forward 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s what I thought, having a gen 3 Prius and then buy an Auris hybrid is like just buying the same car slightly different shape, ok it’s an estate and will have larger boot but that’s it. Corolla is like Prius gen4   A step forward 👍

My thoughts exactly! Prius to Auris, a downgrade apart from estate. Prius to newer Corolla an upgrade. Don't think any Auris has Adaptive Cruise Control.

James.👍

• Like 1

To me, a Corolla hatch is a downgrade from a Gen4 Prius. From comments on this forum the Corolla hatch has a lot less room in the rear for passengers. The Corolla saloon or estate may be a different matter, cause they are the same wheelbase as a Prius. All 3 models do less mpg then a Prius Gen4, so still don’t see a Corolla of any sort being an upgrade over a Gen4 Prius. 
 It this is a long way off topic of the original post about spare wheel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't consider changing from any Toyota model to another as a 'downgrade', they are just 'different' in their own way. Wooster may consider that changing from a 2010 car to a much newer model (2015 - 2018) is an improvement regardless of what model is chosen. 

With regards to the original question of a spare wheel - My Auris has a full size spare and plenty of space for other accessories. I have the 1.2 petrol model so no hybrid Battery taking additional space. 

• Thanks 1

2015 was a model change year, pre facelift models had spares fitted in most conventional engine hatchback and tourer models, hatchback hybrids got repair kits, all models got a dual level deck with the upper level adjusting up - down and the space saver sitting below the lower floor, it is possible to add a space saver spare to the hybrid HB but Toyota say it is not recommended as when fitted it protrudes into the lower level space and leaves an uneven floor.

Post facelift Toyota removed the dual level floor from HB and some tourers then raised the lower floor slightly and fitted space savers to all models excluding those with Panoramic roof, it is possible to add a space saver to these.

As for full sized spare pre facelift conventional HB, tourers and post facelift tourers with dual deck can have a full sized spare but loose space in the lower deck, no other models can fit a full size without loosing boot space and level floors

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Auris James said:

Can't answer your question, but certainly seems roomy under the boot floor cover as big block of polystyrene. Mine has repair kit.

What's your budget. Could you buy a Corolla? Seem to be getting cheaper. From 18k for a 2019 one with 10k miles. Would like Icon Tech minimum in Denim Blue. Or Scarlet Flare.

James👍

James - I can't justify spending £18k on a car. I just don't use a car enough to have £18k depreciating in my garage most of the time.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, HS78 said:

I wouldn't consider changing from any Toyota model to another as a 'downgrade', they are just 'different' in their own way. Wooster may consider that changing from a 2010 car to a much newer model (2015 - 2018) is an improvement regardless of what model is chosen.

I would never suggest moving from one Toyota to another is a 'downgrade'.  I'm looking for a newer car and one that's a bit smaller.  Auris seemed to be suitable...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

2015 was a model change year, pre facelift models had spares fitted in most conventional engine hatchback and tourer models, hatchback hybrids got repair kits, all models got a dual level deck with the upper level adjusting up - down and the space saver sitting below the lower floor, it is possible to add a space saver spare to the hybrid HB but Toyota say it is not recommended as when fitted it protrudes into the lower level space and leaves an uneven floor.

Post facelift Toyota removed the dual level floor from HB and some tourers then raised the lower floor slightly and fitted space savers to all models excluding those with Panoramic roof, it is possible to add a space saver to these.

As for full sized spare pre facelift conventional HB, tourers and post facelift tourers with dual deck can have a full sized spare but loose space in the lower deck, no other models can fit a full size without loosing boot space and level floors

A fantastically comprehensive answer.  Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wooster said:

James - I can't justify spending £18k on a car. I just don't use a car enough to have £18k depreciating in my garage most of the time.

I know what your saying. If I wanted to trade in my pre facelift 2015 Auris Hybrid with 32k miles I would probably be offered 8-9k for it. Paying another 12 grand on top for basically the same car is something I couldn't afford. Parking option and Lane assist probably not use. Only Adaptive Cruise I would use.

3 hours ago, Wooster said:

I would never suggest moving from one Toyota to another is a 'downgrade'.  I'm looking for a newer car and one that's a bit smaller.  Auris seemed to be suitable...

I have an Icon Plus estate. Basic pre Toyota Safety Sense. (TSS) Good option as reduces insurance costs. Sat Nav. Single zone AC, Reversing Camera, bluetooth, DAB radio, Heated Front seats.

It's a nice car to drive and I do not find it slow like the motoring press say. I generally drive it in Normal Mode. Has plenty of go when booted.

Pre the 1st of April 2017, free road tax. After £135.

Happy hunting. Looking for hatch or estate?

James.👍

Toyota3.jpg

• Like 1

At the end of the day, the OP has said is looking to change for a newer, smaller car so it is irrelevant suggesting it is a downgrade in terms of size or fuel economy. If an Auris suits his needs for his next car, rather than the Prius, so be it.

• Like 1

I had both Prius and Auris a few of each and tbh Prius is the better car IMO. I only drive Auris as my car is fully loaded and equivalent Prius at the time was 30-40% more expensive. The point we made for going from Prius gen 3 to Corolla is highly relevant as Corolla is based on the Prius gen 4 which is an obvious upgrade from Prius gen 3. , where going from Prius gen 3 to Auris hatchback 2013-2018 it is not an upgrade since the car uses the same drive train and technology where Corolla uses next generation Toyota hybrid drive trains from 2016, and here you get much better road handling, better fuel efficiency, safety systems, new design etc. My point is if anyone has already Prius gen3 and the car is in good shape in general and it doesn’t have ultra high mileage then maybe keeping it for another few years is the best option. We live in such an uncertain times, lockdowns may become a seasonal thing, buying a slightly newer car to stay on the driveway might not be the best. At least we all know that space saver spare wheel can be fitted. 👍 Good luck with either decision is taken. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2021 at 4:01 PM, TonyHSD said:

...having a gen 3 Prius and then buy an Auris hybrid is like just buying the same car slightly different shape... 👍

Whilst I (sort of) agree with your comment, at least a 2015 Auris won't have any EGR issues!

Ah, not quite so.  The Auris hybrid of all generations has vitually the same engine and transmission as the Prius gen 3.  There have been revisions to various parts over time, which have increased reliabilty across models (head gaskets, inverters, pistons etc), but the potential EGR problem is still there, lurking in the background.  Unless someone knows different!

On the other hand, the gen 4 Prius has a significantly different EGR circuit, as does the Corolla (and all Yaris hybrids, as it happens).  I've not seen a mention of EGR problems on those engines, but then I'm not spending time looking that much. 

I would be surprised if those cars had related problems - their EGR feed is post-cat., so it gets a good roasting first; the problematic oily crud has probably been burnt off before it gets back to the inlet plumbing etc., so it should stay clean.

Shame they didn't adopt this design in the first place, back in 2009....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wooster said:

Whilst I (sort of) agree with your comment, at least a 2015 Auris won't have any EGR issues!

Hi,

Actually it will and that’s what I originally meant. Same engine, same egr, same trouble. Egr is also a problem on all cars that has one, for example Audi, bmw, Mercedes, Lexus, Honda, all no exceptions, even new Priuses will eventually need cleaning, perhaps after more miles done, which is an improvement no doubt. As Gerg post explains well Auris is the same car as Prius gen 3, only different is shape and interior, my personal opinion is that it’s not better especially if you coming from high spec Prius and going onto mid or low spec Auris , you will find interior design, materials and build quality lower than in a Prius. Now I see people are buying used cars without seen them and test drive first, I can only recommend to try it first and then go ahead, just to make sure you like it. Best to look for highest trim possible and made after late 2015, they kind of look better and has better headlights, as previous models has some troubles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Same engine, same egr, same trouble....

The Workshop Controller at the Toyota Main Dealer I use said there was a major redesign of the EGR cooler when the Prius had it's 2012 facelift.  He said they see virtually zero problems with these modified EGRs.  I'm assuming this modified EGR system was also used in the Auris at the same date.

• Thanks 1

Best to look for highest trim possible...

I recently 'discovered' the panoramic roof.  Looks kinda smart but I wondered if it should be avoided?  Are they more trouble than they are worth?  (Cabin gets too hot, driver dazzled by strong sunlight etc)

Auris roof.jpg

Now I see people are buying used cars without seen them and test drive first, I can only recommend to try it first and then go ahead, just to make sure you like it.

Hi Tony. As I see things.... buying a vehicle this way is “distance selling” and the buyer has protection.  They can, I understand, reject the vehicle if it doesn’t suit them, I think within 2 weeks. There are adverts on telly selling cars at a distance, delivered to the buyer on the back of a vehicle, with 2 weeks to change your mind.  In some ways this seems to have more safeguards then walking into a dealer, having a often short test drive and that’s it, vehicle becomes the buyers.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wooster said:

I recently 'discovered' the panoramic roof.  Looks kinda smart but I wondered if it should be avoided?  Are they more trouble than they are worth?  (Cabin gets too hot, driver dazzled by strong sunlight etc)

Auris roof.jpg

Although they might make the cabin brighter, all it needs is one stone or similar thrown up from the road--- ---------------

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Tony. As I see things.... buying a vehicle this way is “distance selling” and the buyer has protection.  They can, I understand, reject the vehicle if it doesn’t suit them, I think within 2 weeks. There are adverts on telly selling cars at a distance, delivered to the buyer on the back of a vehicle, with 2 weeks to change your mind.  In some ways this seems to have more safeguards then walking into a dealer, having a often short test drive and that’s it, vehicle becomes the buyers.

Good point 👍 Just seen 2 days ago a Peugeot 20 reg delivered to one of my Neighbours. 

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

Although they might make the cabin brighter, all it needs is one stone or similar thrown up from the road--- ---------------

And Tesla all glass roof, I haven’t heard of anyone manage to break it,, insurance should cover it in case happens. Glass makes you feel strange inside, not sure if I like or not, but definitely looks cool on pictures. 👍

There have been a couple of instances on these forums where the panoramic sunroof has developed cracks. If considering getting a car with a panoramic roof, check whether the glass cover on your insurance covers sunroofs. If in doubt contact your insurer.

5 hours ago, Wooster said:

The Workshop Controller at the Toyota Main Dealer I use said there was a major redesign of the EGR cooler when the Prius had it's 2012 facelift.  He said they see virtually zero problems with these modified EGRs.  I'm assuming this modified EGR system was also used in the Auris at the same date.

Well that’s a good news then, all you can do is just replace the egr cooler on your Prius and you have upgraded Toyota 😉, that’s what I will do when I reach 200k miles. Just checked the parts numbers and they are different and inside the design is different so will no need cleaning for much longer time.

Thanks for the info.  Good to see how Toyota learned and improved their products. 👍

Here pictures of the pre 2012  part number 25601-0T020 and post 2012 part number 25601-37010

8BF2168B-7DEB-4979-B834-860C49F74767.jpeg

3D0BB15D-A24D-46F7-A99B-EEC0DCF873D5.png