Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid - lead acid battery (non)availabilty

ChrisCPompey

My 2014 Yaris Hybrid needs a new (Lead Acide) Battery which comes as no surprise to me as it has been a pain ever since I bought the car in 2017 from my local dealer (4 miles away) it has never held a proper charge and I've had to resort to using a proper Battery maintainer so I could use the car without having to get the AA to start it (they suggested it actually). I had to go to get some food shopping on the 23rd February and after about 20 - 30 minutes the car wouldn't start. AA arrived got it started and said to take it straight to Toyota to check the Battery fully. This I did and they said to leave it with them so they could replace the battery. Three and a half weeks later I'm still waiting and have been told that the battery is not expected until 31st March. That means I will have been without a vehicle for over 5 weeks! That's if it turns up then! I asked if I would be compensated in any way and they said no, I would be charged full price for the battery, etc. Anyone else had problems like this? Apparently 'normal' batteries won't fit. Suffice to say I am not happy so does anyone have a Head Office email address that I can complain to? I'm not blaming the guys who have to fit the thing; they can't fit what they don't have, although you would expect them to carry a couple of spares in stock. I have paid for extended warranty on this car (which of course, doesn't cover the Lead Acid battery) and I was not even offered a courtesy car! I had to get my brother to pick me up from the dealer's garage and thankfully he said he would take me back to collect it, but is frankly amazed how long it is taking! Sorry to be such a moaner but I'm at my wits end.... 😞

As the Battery isn't covered under the extended warranty, there is no requirement for it to be a Toyota branded Battery. I would ask them to source a Battery from elsewhere as you cannot afford to be without the car.

Under the terms of the extended warranty, a courtesy car can be provided for up to five days if a covered part fails. As the 12v battery isn't a covered part, the provision of a courtesy car is outside the scope of the extended warranty. 

So the provision of a courtesy car is at the discretion of the dealer.

• Thanks 1

I'm in the same boat, but car working. Have a 2015 Auris Hybrid TS.

With lockdown the 12 volt Battery is showing it's weakness as needs regular use to keep it in good shape and charged. Twice mine has failed to start after 4 days of non use, but left for a few hours have then started. Initially Toyota said Battery fine, just needs a good drive. The last few weeks used it more as got my Nan some shopping.

Went into dealer a few weeks ago for a free health check and a new 12 volt Battery to be fitted and told sent the wrong, non hybrid one and no estimated time of arrival! Then marked as battery not holding charge on health report.

Seems with lockdown there is a big demand for 12 volt battery replacements as local dealer has 20 on order! Been waiting now around a month. Quoted £145.00 for new battery inc fitting. I do have an extended warranty until Jan 2023, but this isn't covered.

I have had my Auris for 14 months and it's a good car, but parts you have to wait for. After 6 months of buying the AC failed! Condenser was leaking and as not stone damaged covered under their 12 months used warranty. Typically failed in last Summers heatwave and not fixed for 3 months as condenser on back order.

James👍

• Like 1

It looks  like all Toyota hybrids are actually “plug in hybrids” , if the car not been used daily and long enough needs to be plugged in whether with solar or conventional chargers, otherwise the 12v Battery goes flat. Not funny but Toyota actually has made hybrid X hybrid., we have self charging system once the car has started but to start the car you need to plug in......🤭😉👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

It looks  like all Toyota hybrids are actually “plug in hybrids” , if the car not been used daily and long enough needs to be plugged in whether with solar or conventional chargers, otherwise the 12v battery goes flat. Not funny but Toyota actually has made hybrid X hybrid., we have self charging system once the car has started but to start the car you need to plug in......🤭😉👍

When at my local Inchcape Toyota dealer, noticed they had solar power chargers for £25. Thinking I'll buy one once new Battery is fitted as don't want that to get damaged if it keeps going flat, through lack of car use. These chargers come with crocodile clips and cig lighter plug. Is the cig lighter live when ignition off? Like to stick panel to inside of windscreen and charge by plugging into cig lighter when not using car.

James👍 

Thanks for responding. Looks a fairly common issue; i.e. use daily at length or else have to plug it in to a Battery maintainer. I won't be buying another Toyota - I chose them as I thought they were the best bet given they'd launched the Prius ages ago. I think my next car will be a petrol/diesel Ford like my prior vehicle which never failed to start even if left unused for two WEEKS!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Auris James said:

When at my local Inchcape Toyota dealer, noticed they had solar power chargers for £25. Thinking I'll buy one once new battery is fitted as don't want that to get damaged if it keeps going flat, through lack of car use. These chargers come with crocodile clips and cig lighter plug. Is the cig lighter live when ignition off? Like to stick panel to inside of windscreen and charge by plugging into cig lighter when not using car.

James👍 

Yes, this looks like a real deal, my lighter doesn’t stays life when ignition is off, not sure about your Auris,very likely is the same, but you can connect directly to the Battery which I believe is the best 👍

• Thanks 1

I tried a solar power charger for mine but my drive faces north so possibly not enough direct sunlight hence getting a mains powered maintainer which has been brilliant. Not that it could be used somewhere like an airport carpark. I've never dared to stay away overnight since I've had the Hybrid as I just can't trust it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisCPompey said:

I tried a solar power charger for mine but my drive faces north so possibly not enough direct sunlight hence getting a mains powered maintainer which has been brilliant. Not that it could be used somewhere like an airport carpark. I've never dared to stay away overnight since I've had the Hybrid as I just can't trust it. 

Tbh all new cars are full of electronics and constantly drains their  batteries and if not used regularly they also suffer from the same issue. Toyota hybrids has smaller Battery and that’s the trouble, maybe the engineers got it wrong to think that hybrids mainly be used by people who drives a lot and there we have the results. My car is 10 years old 162k miles still with on original including its batteries. If you drive only occasionally on very short runs maybe best car can be full ev or small petrol engine, diesel does not like short drive either. 👍

• Like 1

Toyota issued some advice on Battery maintenance last April for both hybrids and non hybrids. 

Battery maintenance was a real issue last year for hybrids, petrols, etc.

Of course a move away from Toyota is your choice. However with the Government moving away from petrols and diesels by 2030, and schemes such as Clean Air Zones coming from this year onwards, hybrids and EV's are the way to go within the next decade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisCPompey said:

A new Battery may sort it out. The chap who came out from the dealer to start mine, said they have had lots of complaints, and the new Battery is a slightly higher capacity.  When I was there I was chatting to a customer with a 2013 Avensis 1.6 petrol and he was on his 4th Battery. 60K miles.

Toyota also issued advice to run your Toyota Hybrid for 45 minutes in Ready mode to keep the battery charged. If mine failed to start I'd call Toyota Assistance as under extended warranty.

James.👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisCPompey said:

Knowing the hybrid's Battery is a weak spot, I have a Noco GB40 booster ready just in case.

During the last winter episode and Lockdown, I didn't drive my RAV4 for 10 days, and it still powered-on allbeit after pressing "Start" three times.

However, I used the Noco twice to start a neighbour's Audi and a friend's Golf diesel in -7C. And if it starts a diesel, it can surely power-on a RAV4.

Highly recommended!

• Like 1

The yaris hybrid does not use a lead acid Battery !! It is an AGM Battery that lives under the back seat - dealers keep the batteries on the shelf if not they are available next day or on eBay (about £150 delivered)

The Battery should be a SB34B20R - 28800-21181 or SB34B20L - 28800-YZZRD (both made by Yuasa)

they could have charged it overnight at least, I would have got the car out of their weeks ago

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

maybe best car can be full ev

🤣

Quite a few BEV suffer the same issues. Because there is no massive starter load they seem to think a small Battery will do - but it don't.

Caused some serious grief for people. (A 60kWh, 400v Battery is frick all help when the contactor to power the DC-DC converter needs the 12V battery 😒 )

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChrisCPompey said:

Why can’t you put your car on your drive the other way round, so where you want to place the solar panel is facing south to catch the sun???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeSh said:

🤣

Quite a few BEV suffer the same issues. Because there is no massive starter load they seem to think a small battery will do - but it don't.

Caused some serious grief for people. (A 60kWh, 400v battery is frick all help when the contactor to power the DC-DC converter needs the 12V battery 😒 )

^THIS. Just like our Hybrids that need a small 12v to get the system working, EVs are just the same. My sisters Nissan Leaf 12v Battery went flat in first lockdown. 

• Like 2

There is an entry in the Owners Handbook telling drivers of HYBRIDS how to maintain their Auxiliary Batteries which if followed works perfectly.

Sadly, inexperienced drivers and those new to hybrids seem not to read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2021 at 3:58 PM, ChrisCPompey said:

This is a common misconception about modern solar panels that do not require direct sunlight to provide an effective (low - as in our hybrids' case) charge rate that will keep the Battery healthy between outings. Also, I don't know of a single Toyota that has a lighter socket that remains live when the ignition is off. The best panels to get are the ones that also provide an OBDII connector/adapter because this will always provide direct access to the small 12V Battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1