Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Draining coolant

Kev1nh

Hi everyone. First post on the forum,hoping you can help. Water pump has packed up on my 2009 Avensis 1.6 TR saloon. Cars only covered 52000 miles so was a bit disappointed it gave up so early but that's life! When I removed the water pump quite a lot of the coolant drained out,I was going to remove the bottom hose to drain the remainder but can't get the plastic cover off underneath the car as a couple of the bolts holding it are rusted in. Anyone know whereabouts on the engine block the coolant drain plug is? At least then I might get a bit more coolant out. Thanks.

Hi, 

you need to check radiator bottom left corner may have a drain plug and do it from there, there should be a special opening in the engine cover so no need to remove the whole thing. Use only original ready mix from Toyota, no need to worry too much if some small amount is left in engine block. Water pumps on this 1.6 engine is the weakest point for some reason, I know few people with that engine and they all had a water pump failure in low miles same as yours, not surprise here. 

I changed the water pump on my Avensis T27 1.8 Valvematic last year. Easy job. There is a drain tap on the left hand side of the radiator. There is a cutout for this very purpose. I put a small hose over the drain pipe, so the coolant drained straight into a bucket for safe disposal. Not under tray was removed. 

Here is my water pump post, but no photos of the drain tap: - 

The hardest thing was getting all the relevant parts together, choosing the pump and coolant. I never use tap water. I use di-ionised water if not using pre-mixed coolant.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies fellas.👍 As my car was built in Europe and not in Japan I had to get a water pump that came supplied with 3 bolts to replace the 3 smaller bolts on the original unit. 

Konrad,I bought a water pump made by Blue Print,didn't go for the original Aisin model as it was in such a poor state when I removed it I reckon an aftermarket model might be better. The water pump I've bought looks the same as the one you fitted to your car. Hopefully it all goes back together ok. Going to torque the water pump bolts to 19ft lbs as in a video i watched on you tube,hope it's correct!

Drained the remaining coolant via the plastic plug as you said,went to start it,flat Battery!! Surprised as I only changed the Battery about 2 years ago never had any issues before i changed the water pump,hope it is just a flat Battery!

I was going to get a newer Avensis than my 08 Tr 1.8 as I fancied some of the better features of the Business Edition Plus however I hate the depreciation on cars and the current situation also make buying and selling potentially hazardous so I am going to keep the car now.

Having done 87k miles now is it necessary, as a preventitive measure to change the water pump, at this mileage?

I know water pumps are supposed to give some warning when they are going so not normally a breakdown but I have had 2 go dramatically with water everywhere and a creating a breakdown situation (Vauxhall Carlton & Vauxhall Omega). Thankfully before the "smart" motorways fiasco and the problems that can create.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links