Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tilt Sensor?

priusnoob

It’s a cat lock not a Catloc if that’s what you mean.  Not sure how thick a Catloc is but 3mm is thicker then others I seen on eBay.

For £95 total I got two, my Gen4 Prius and wife’s Auris hybrid.

In previous posts you have referred to the device as a Catloc, which could be misleading to others who might assume it is the same device that Toyota recommends.

Might be better to call them an "anti theft plate" then 

This is what I've got:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalytic-Converter-Anti-Theft-Plate-Guard-Cover-For-Toyota-Prius-1-8-2009-2016-/154244201858?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

On Saturday I'm also hopefully getting this installed:

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/blackvue-dr900x-2ch-bundle-4464941220.html

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cam-accessories/blackvue-power-magic-battery-b-124x-283070.html?

It's 0% finance so that's not too bad. I've asked Toyota how much they'd charge for a tilt sensor too 

On 3/23/2021 at 2:24 PM, priusnoob said:

Maybe not right now, given the sheer cost of the cat I've bought and the shield, I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a "tilt sensor" installed, if such a thing exists for my car? 

It's a 2014 Prius Gen III and an import. 

Thank 

Hey, you can buy it here  https://www.autoaibe.lt/toyota-autodalys/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, priusnoob said:

Thanks. Just need to translate that first lol! 

Select 'English' from the drop down menu at the top right of the page.

872929892_SelectEnglish.thumb.png.68f7e44763aeb1235a621c7aefcec251.png 

(Click on image to see full-size image)

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:58 PM, Joseph D said:

Select 'English' from the drop down menu at the top right of the page.

872929892_SelectEnglish.thumb.png.68f7e44763aeb1235a621c7aefcec251.png 

(Click on image to see full-size image)

I contacted Toyota near me. They've quoted me as having it fitted in for the price of:

£178.21 + VAT (£213.85)

So I'll get that installed 

2 hours ago, priusnoob said:

I contacted Toyota near me. They've quoted me as having it fitted in for the price of:

£178.21 + VAT (£213.85)

So I'll get that installed 

I paid I think £286 for my Gen4 Prius, so snatch their hand off & get it done. If it was up to me I’d do what they do in Mecca with thieves. Don’t agree with that religion but I bet you nobody pinches cats there!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

I paid I think £286 for my Gen4 Prius, so snatch their hand off & get it done. If it was up to me I’d do what they do in Mecca with thieves. Don’t agree with that religion but I bet you nobody pinches cats there!

Lol. In that area, I think they're pretty strict with that which is why the shop owners just go to the mosque on Friday and leave their stores unlocked 

I think they've calmed down on the harsher punishments too, even if they're still pretty ISIS lite. 

I'm looking at potentially getting a tracker / immobiliser too. So far I have done the following 

- Added an anti theft plate 
- Added dash cams 
- Getting a tilt sensor 
- Buying Faraday pouches for my keys

Then once I've finished with the mortgage application for a house that I want, once I've got a home network sorted then I'll also hopefully get cameras there and a driveway alarm too. The next door neighbour is unlikely to object (semi detached), as it effectively means they get covered for free. 

WY Police have good advice, but I think it's good to go one further and add cameras

I've now parked my car away from the main road, and outside someone's house who's got a CCTV camera watching their van lol!

I've got this:
BlackVue DR900X-2CH Bundle | Halfords UK

And this:

BlackVue Power Magic Battery B-124X | Halfords UK

Hard wired

Even at this new house, I won't have a garage, so I'd face the car towards the wall. Hopefully I'll be doing a 100% remote job soon too (shift work) which helps against this in a way, as I'd in theory be up at 3am or so

As for what WY Police recommend, here's what I can/can't do:

• Park your car in a locked garage where possible, but if this isn’t an option, then park it in a well-lit and well-populated area. NB: My car WAS in a well lit, well populated area, but obviously that didn't deter the pricks
  • Park close to fences, walls or a kerb with the exhaust being closest to the fence, wall or kerb to make the theft more difficult
  • Avoid parking your vehicle half on the pavement and half on the road, as this may make it easier for thieves to access the catalytic converter
  • If there is a fleet of vehicles, park the low clearance vehicles to block the high clearance vehicles. This will obstruct access underneath
  • If parking in a public car park, consider parking alongside other cars and facing you bonnet towards the wall if possible. With the catalytic converter positioned at the front of your vehicle, this will make it harder for thieves to get close enough to steal it
  • For thefts occurring on driveways, consider the use of a Secured by Design (SBD) approved driveway alarm and sensor. This may assist in alerting you of a potential intruder entering your driveway or garden - Not yet any way
  • If your catalytic converter is bolted on, you can ask for your local garage to weld the bolts to make it more difficult to remove.
  • Alternatively, you can mark your catalytic converter. Please ensure any property marking is Secured by Design (SBD) approved. NB: I have an anti theft plate, and as most of these go abroad, I fail to see what "marking" the cat converter will do
  • You can even purchase a ‘cage clamp’ which is a cage device that locks in around the converter to make it more difficult to remove. Toyota are offering a 'Catloc' for the Prius (3rd generation, 2009-2011 models) and Auris (2nd generation, 2012-2018 models). Please contact your Toyota dealership for more information. NB: I have an anti theft plate instead
  • Speak to your dealership about the possibility of installing a Thatcham approved alarm and tilt sensor that will activate the alarm should any thief try to jack the vehicle up to steal the converter  

In addition, I think cameras/alarms/trackers/immobilisers are a good way to deter them too. Ultimately, security is like an onion. If the cameras in my car fail, then in theory if I have cameras in my new house, that'll also still catch them and vice versa. I also intend on keeping this car until I drive it into the ground too, so I don't "mind" getting the upgrades that I'd ordinarily use to buy another car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links