Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key fob won’t work after dead 12V battery

Lucy_

Hello, I have a 2015 Yaris Hybrid with start button. The 12V Battery died (I stupidly let it get too low due to lack of use), I’ve managed to jump start the car and taken it on a 40 min run, but now the key fob won’t work to lock or unlock the car. The car still starts. I have tried changing the Battery on the key fob and using the spare key, still no luck.
Does anyone know how to get the key to pair so it will lock the car again? Everything else seems to be working apart from the remote central locking. (I have locked it manually). Hoping someone might have had the same issue. Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, Lucy_ said:

Hello, I have a 2015 Yaris Hybrid with start button. The 12V battery died (I stupidly let it get too low due to lack of use), I’ve managed to jump start the car and taken it on a 40 min run, but now the key fob won’t work to lock or unlock the car. The car still starts. I have tried changing the battery on the key fob and using the spare key, still no luck.
Does anyone know how to get the key to pair so it will lock the car again? Everything else seems to be working apart from the remote central locking. (I have locked it manually). Hoping someone might have had the same issue. Thanks in advance

Hi, 

have you check and replace the key fob battery? This is the first thing to do when accounting similar problems. Sometimes these small batteries even new does not work well, therefore you can buy from Amazon directly with long expired date. Change both batteries in regular and spare key fobs and check your car manual if any information is there, soon someone with more advise will help.👍

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

have you check and replace the key fob battery? This is the first thing to do when accounting similar problems. Sometimes these small batteries even new does not work well, therefore you can buy from Amazon directly with long expired date. Change both batteries in regular and spare key fobs and check your car manual if any information is there, soon someone with more advise will help.👍

Thanks Tony, I have tried that. It is now working with the spare key and new Battery but the main fob with a known working Battery is still not registering. 

1 hour ago, Lucy_ said:

Thanks Tony, I have tried that. It is now working with the spare key and new battery but the main fob with a known working battery is still not registering. 

You are welcome. I never had flat Battery on either car or key fob, therefore not sure about it. One idea to insert a brand new Battery into the main fob and take it inside the car close to the start button even push the start button with it and try to see if it’s going to work. 
Regards 

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

take it inside the car close to the start button even push the start button with it

That might work.

There are two parts to these keys. The unlock the car and keyless start which is radio and uses the fob Battery. And an RFID chip which will allow use of the start button if it is close enough.

Using the fob while close to the button (where the RFID tx/rx is located) to start the car may validate/resync the radio part of the key.

23 hours ago, MikeSh said:

That might work.

There are two parts to these keys. The unlock the car and keyless start which is radio and uses the fob battery. And an RFID chip which will allow use of the start button if it is close enough.

Using the fob while close to the button (where the RFID tx/rx is located) to start the car may validate/resync the radio part of the key.

23 hours ago, MikeSh said:

That might work.

There are two parts to these keys. The unlock the car and keyless start which is radio and uses the fob battery. And an RFID chip which will allow use of the start button if it is close enough.

I’ll give this a try. Thank you Tony and Mike. Fingers crossed

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links