Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40K Service/service plan

Mobilemule75Saren79

Just had my 2017 Yaris 1.3 auto serviced under a Toyota Service Plan. The invoice shows wiper replacements and MOT which I were not covered under the service plan. The only other item shown is 'Full 40k Service   carried our, with no details as to what has been done. I asked for an itemized list of work carrried out but so far this has not been produced. They told me this includes; isr filter, oil and filter  pollen filter and brake fluid change but they seem reluctant to put this in writing. I am persisting with my request to get an itemized list of work carried out. Am I being unreasonable?

Split into new topic and moved to the Yaris club.

Quite often with service plans, the itemised invoice goes to the service plan company as they manage the servicing for you and effectively are paying for the service, rather than you.

In the past with service plans I've had, I have agreed with the dealer that a copy of the service invoice, service ticklist, etc is provided to me at each service undertaken within the plan. Sometimes the service invoice is anonymised. I've had this confirmed in writing at the start of the plan.

So try asking for copies of the service documentation, rather than asking them to itemise work done.

Thank you for the reply. I will try asking for the service documents and see what they come up with. I think I am wasting my time and the thing is I wish in retrospect that I had not entered into this plan which is an 18 month not a 12 month plan so I am required to continue paying until Oct 2021. I will then have paid for my next service, an Intermediate 50k service in March 2022. I think my problem is that I have difficulty trusting garages to do the work they say they have. To me a full service can mean anything and I am happier receiving an itemised bill. But there we go, lessons learned I will not sign up for a service plan again.

• Like 1

Sam, when you started this “18 month” service plan, what was included and what was not included (you surely got some paperwork), what was the cost, and it sounds like you were on a 18 month payment plan - can you confirm, and how much have you paid over the 18 months.

12 hours ago, Mobilemule75Saren79 said:

Just had my 2017 Yaris 1.3 auto serviced under a Toyota Service Plan. The invoice shows wiper replacements and MOT which I were not covered under the service plan. The only other item shown is 'Full 40k Service   carried our, with no details as to what has been done. I asked for an itemized list of work carrried out but so far this has not been produced. They told me this includes; isr filter, oil and filter  pollen filter and brake fluid change but they seem reluctant to put this in writing. I am persisting with my request to get an itemized list of work carried out. Am I being unreasonable?

Sign up to My T, you will be able to see the history and what was done, there is also a list of what is done in your service book. 

Thank you Parts-King for your advice. By a list of what work was done done you mean a 'Full Service Specification'. I have accessed this in the service book and you are right  it does list what should have been done, but normally on my invoice I get a breakdown of the work done and the parts/fluids added to make clear just what has been done rather than just 'full service' 

I suppose it comes down to how much I trust the main dealer to do what they say they will and I am not too good at this having dealt with main dealers for a number of years. I will go to My Toyota and see if this helps.

Also Catlover thankyou for your response to my question. I took out the service plan in 2020 and i must admit I did it after a long wait for my car to be serviced and I was anxious to get away. I had not realized that I had signed up to a 20month plan rather than a 12 month plan. My plan cover both the 40k and the 50k services and I pay £23 per month. Paperwork for the plan is scarce. It is one and a half sheets long  and it refers to 40k and 50k service plan. No more details are provided. I think I must now live with this and revert to just booking in and paying for a service come the 60k service if I keep the car that long.

14 hours ago, Mobilemule75Saren79 said:

Am I being unreasonable?

I would suggest, no you're not. Writing "full 40k service" is, in my opinion, not acceptable.

A couple of times, when my car was dealer serviced, I caught them out not doing stuff which should have been included in the price! When challenged, "oh sorry" bring the car in and they will be done."

Service plan or not, I would expect every item to be checked/completed which is included without a service plan.

Toyota have "changed the goalposts", re servicing, over the years and it's difficult to determine what is, or not now included.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mobilemule75Saren79 said:

Thank you Parts-King for your advice. By a list of what work was done done you mean a 'Full Service Specification'. I have accessed this in the service book and you are right  it does list what should have been done, but normally on my invoice I get a breakdown of the work done and the parts/fluids added to make clear just what has been done rather than just 'full service' 

It is not unreasonable, and not difficult to supply a copy invoice. The My T app will show the history and parts used. 

Sam, on your plan, from what you saying, you have paid for a full 40k service and an Intermediate 50k service. So your next service will be a full 60k service out of plan.                       
What constitutes a Full or Intermediate service is listed in your car service book you should have and accessible on line as Parts King has said.                
If you will have paid 18 monthly payments of £23 per month then that totals £414.           
I can’t access Toyota standard servicing costs (website down) but if I guess the Full service may be £250 and Intermediate service may be £150, so there is £400 without adding parts ie oil, oil filters, air filters etc, do you know if 2x MOT was in your plan, if not then that’s another £80.               
If all the above is right (or thereabouts) then it seems your plan was a good deal, and payment spread over 18 months instead of payment on the day. Choice is your though if it’s a good deal to you or not.       
Of course you are sceptical about whether the job has been done correctly. It’s a sad thing when trust goes but that’s society these days, and really I don’t think it’s too different to 30 or 40 years ago, always rogues. So whether you get an Invoice that says “Full service”, then list parts used separately, if you wasn’t there to see the service done and parts fitted how do you know it’s right...... you never will. 
We all have to put trust in any type of service we pay for, be it car, central heating, washing machine, computer, whatever.  Main dealers will be very aware they have to install trust in their customers. If they lose that trust, by doing dodgy jobs for example, they probably have lost a customer for life. For sure there will be dodgy deals going on, but until it is glaringly obvious then we have to go along with trust.

I've had service plans for a variety of marques and the plans have all stated which services plus, any additionals, the plans cover. They won't go to detail as to what each service specifically covers - otherwise you would have reams of paperwork to wade through.

As I said originally you can ask for copies of the service invoice and associated list of what has been checked/replaced, which will be similar to what you would have received had you not opted for the service plan.

Provided you still have the car, for your 6 year/60,000 mile service, as your car will be over five years old, and if you decide not to continue with a service plan, you could join Toyota's 5+ Club which gives you 20% off the cost of services and MOTs. This is of course if the 5+ Club is still operating after your current service plan ends. 

The two advantages of a service plan are that you are able to pay for servicing on a monthly basis, and that it fixes the cost of servicing for the duration of the plan, thus avoiding any price rises in that period.

Hi Frostyballs. Thank you for your response to my question. I did persist asking this time for the service documents rather than another copy of the service invoice. They have now sent me a copy of the service documents showing just what has been done and this includes items replaced and fluids replaced etc. I.t was what I was wanting in the first place.

Also Parts-King, I did log in to MY Toyota and I took a look at my Yaris service record. Unfortunately it just showed the the details I already had on my Service Invoice list; that they had carried out a 40k service and no further details.  Anyway its sorted now so thank you all for your assistance