Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remote Starter Install Using NA Kit

ExpatFrank

Hello everyone!

I’ve got a used 2015 Yaris Hybrid with a key ignition that I’m trying to get fitted for a remote starter. I have not found any European solutions and am considering importing a kit from the US. This brings me to the following question for which I can’t seem to find an answer:

Is the immobilizer used on the Euro spec Yaris the same as the H-key system used in North America? These remote starter kits all state “compatible with H-key only” and that the key will have an H stamped on it. However, Euro and NA spec Toyotas have different key designs.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. First Toyota I’ve ever owned. Love it.

i think even in the USA both models were used, so i doubt it's area exclusive.

I think the only difference is <2018 is G, and >2018 is H, indicating a newer model.

Does you key have anything stamped on it?

Thanks for replying! Based on my searches everything after 2013 should be H-key. 

It has this writing that I cannot read. I’ve attached a pic. 

1B12850E-658B-4A08-A76E-8BAAEAA2E651.jpeg

You could always contact the manufacturer of the kit, and ask them.

Since they were able to make the whole thing, they should give you a definitive answer as to what's compatible.

5 minutes ago, furtula said:

You could always contact the manufacturer of the kit, and ask them.

Yes, I’ve done that. They don’t have any information on non -North American models. They can’t help me.

One thought - is the kit you've bought for the Mazda based US Yaris??

The Yaris sedan sold in the US was a version of the Mazda 2, built by Mazda in Mexico, and from 2018 the US Yaris hatchback was also a version of the Mazda 2 hatchback.

The Yaris is now discontinued in the US.

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

One thought - is the kit you've bought for the Mazda based US Yaris??

The Yaris sedan sold in the US is a version of the Mazda 2, built by Mazda in Mexico, and from 2018 the US Yaris hatchback was also a version of the Mazda 2 hatchback.

I haven’t bought the kit yet but the 2015 Yaris is not Mazda based (as you’ve identified). I have the instructions and I think the install would go fine but there’s a point where the device needs to learn the immobilizer. That’s where my doubt lies. 

852642364_EVOoneyarisinstall.pdf

The 2015 hatchback is not Mazda based, but the 2015 sedan is.

Instruction says the only modules made from 2019 and later are compatible, but then again i do see it also states years from 2015 until 2019.

Maybe check the part numbers of the immobilizer modules, see if they are cross compatible

You can fit remote start to any vehicle i suggest you speak to your insurance company as they may want an approved alarm on the car but that depends on your country/region

Kit wise look at kits from Toad, Cobra (now Cobra Vodafone) and Clifford

Just had a look these companies do a transponder bypass add on  eg. Clifford 556UW

http://www.clifford.co.uk/ProductPages/Accessories_556UW.html

I guess I’m just going to have to throw caution to the wind and give it a try! 

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

You can fit remote start to any vehicle i suggest you speak to your insurance company as they may want an approved alarm on the car but that depends on your country/region

Kit wise look at kits from Toad, Cobra (now Cobra Vodafone) and Clifford

Just had a look these companies do a transponder bypass add on  eg. Clifford 556UW

http://www.clifford.co.uk/ProductPages/Accessories_556UW.html

These companies don’t have self-install kits and I’m in Italy where they do not do business. 😞 

Cobra is based in Italy, so that's a bit odd, Gemini and Meta are also Italian based

plenty of listing on eBay.it

23 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Cobra is based in Italy, so that's a bit odd, Gemini and Meta are also Italian based

plenty of listing on eBay.it

Cobra: So when I do a search on eBay (italia) for Cobra or Vodafone Cobra, all of the listings say “Ships from UK.” And they all appear to alarms only.

Gemini: When I search for gemini remote starter there is one kit and it says in the description: NOTA: per veicoli con antifurto immobilizer, verificare prima dell'acquisto la possibilità di estrarre il transponder dall'interno della chiave. Which means verify that your an extract your transponder from the key before buying. What they’re doing will sacrifice a key (assuming you can extract it). The other kits don’t require this because they have the code to bypass the immobilizer. Update: when I looked again, the kit isn’t actually Gemini. 

Meta: Again, all come from UK and none appear to be DIY kits which means lots of wire splicing. Plus none of them advertise an immobilizer bypass.

Thanks for your suggestions, though! 

no alarm/remote start is plug and play it has to be wired in See my above post regarding a transponder bypass module

All joints are either soldered and heat shrunk  or crimped with open barrel crimps and heat shrunk Never use scotch locks

No decent remote start/alarm is DIY, most suppliers can supply a  "Tech Sheet" this gives the wire and colour locations

Metasystems s.l.r HQ is in Milan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links