Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corrosion on Wheel Arch

Peter P

While cleaning my car (2017 Yaris Hybrid) today I noticed some spots have appeared on the rear wheel arch.

Should this be covered under the warranty ?

wheelarchspots.thumb.jpg.983ef3c40fe4f90bdaa4263a89008d18.jpg

Your car will have had had two corrosion warranties:

1. A three year paintwork and surface rust warranty, and,

2. A twelve year corrosion warranty for rust perforation warranty.

Most other manufacturers offer similar warranty cover. Both cover manufacturing defects rather than wear and tear or impact (ie stone chips).

On a 2017 Yaris the paintwork and surface rust warranty will have expired. Have the car inspected by a Toyota dealer.

That is blistering, has the arch had any paintwork done in the past? Take it to a dealer, they will be able to measure the paint thickness to tell if it has had any previous repairs. 

Do you own the car from brand new, first and only owner? To me looks like been repaired previously and this is not the original paint. 

My thought too as that swage line on the arch does not look crisp 

• Like 1

Thats a poor repair, is not rust its white and bobbly in perfect lumps it looks like filler at best it's a diy rattle can job, you can see the sanding marks in the filler

• Like 1

I'd agree with Bob. They look like "splatter/paint globules" from a poor spray nozzle, poor surface preparation or poor technique when using an aerosol can.

How do I know?!:ph34r:

Black arrow - the body line looks like the sea on a windy day

Brown arrows - looks like a dent that's been badly filled

Yellow arrow - Looks like a sanding scratch

Brown/yellow - look like a feathered edge of filler

purple - formed mounds what looks like filler the odd one has spot

wheelarchspots.thumb.jpg.ae851b99cca0ee191cc3bba3e996ac6a.jpg

• Like 1

So, PeterP, have you had the car from new, or you bought 2nd hand. If the latter, When did you buy it, and was it a private buy or from a car sales of any sort ie main dealer/back street car sales.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Catlover said:

So, PeterP, have you had the car from new, or you bought 2nd hand. If the latter, When did you buy it, and was it a private buy or from a car sales of any sort ie main dealer/back street car sales.

I bought from a Toyota main dealer as a Toyota Approved Vehicle in April 2019

So, can it be assumed since you had the car no repairs have been done?
I don’t know the terms of the Toyota Approved Vehicle scheme to be able to advise, maybe someone else can help.              
At the least you should be going back to the dealer and having words.

• Like 2

Think the car still needs to go to a Toyota dealer for inspection. 

The 2017 car was bought in 2019 - so depending when it was first registered up to 2 years old when purchased as approved used.

The 3 year paintwork and surface rust warranty would have expired in 2020.

As regards the Toyota warranty, whether new car or under the approved used scheme, this would provide cover for manufacturing defects, and, as far as I'm aware, the approved warranty covers mechanical manufacturing defects - the same as any other marque. 

If the car has had a bodywork repair done, who is to say when the repair was done or who did it, and I wouldn't have thought this type of repair would be a manufacturing defect. Could have been during the first owner's care.

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think the car still needs to go to a Toyota dealer for inspection. 

The 2017 car was bought in 2019 - so depending when it was first registered up to 2 years old when purchased as approved used.

The 3 year paintwork and surface rust warranty would have expired in 2020.

As regards the Toyota warranty, whether new car or under the approved used scheme, this would provide cover for manufacturing defects, and, as far as I'm aware, the approved warranty covers mechanical manufacturing defects - the same as any other marque. 

If the car has had a bodywork repair done, who is to say when the repair was done or who did it, and I wouldn't have thought this type of repair would be a manufacturing defect. Could have been during the first owner's care.

When I bought the car
Itook it  round to a finishing business for a quote on paint protection. They immediately identified several scratches and over spray on panels etc.
also quoted around £200 to have the marks rectified and other work, I hadn't even had the car 5 minutes!
The dealer then polished some obvious scratches off the bonnet. I wasn't expert enough to identify the others.

The car was previously used under the motabilty scheme and serviced by a main dealer in Salford. So I shouldn't think the first owner would have done any repairs himself. Apparently data protection prevents me from contacting the first owner of MF67NTO.

It had done 7000 miles when I purchased it. I was actually on the verge of buying a new Aygo but was persuaded to buy the low mileage Yaris instead.
The only work I've had done was on the rear bumper where paint had peeled after using a jet wash.

I'll get in touch with the Toyota dealer ASAP.

Thanks for your help

Peter Preston

But that's not to say that the previous owner had not had some repair work done by whoever.

As regards data protection, when one part exchanges a car nowadays, dealers refuse to have any service history such as invoices, etc, and they are only interested in a fully stamped service book.

It had had  one service before I purchased it and had to have another, and two tyres 4000 miles later. Here's a video they sent before purchase

and an extracted image from it.

I was under the impression that the car was 'as new' as it had a low mileage and one owner. 

wheelarchyaris.JPG

Toyota servicing should be every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So a 2017 car bought in 2019, would have been up to 2 years old, would have had an Intermediate service at 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurred first, and would have been due a Full service at 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever occurred first.

'As new' means the product is in good condition, which at the time of the video the car appeared to have been. Obviously it may now be up to 2 years since you bought the car.

As previously said, you need to get the dealer to inspect the paintwork issue to determine what the problem is and what the next steps are.

• Like 1

Imho they will not give you the time of day - I would get a few quotes from body shops as you will have prove you didn't cause the damage

Motabilty cars are on a 3 or 5 year contract at 2 years old it was either a take back as the owner lost their DLA/PIP or there was an issue, only Motability operations or RSAM will know if the damage was repaired under their contract - the info is rarely recorded on the insurance database so will not show up on a HPI check either

I'm not going into detail, but this is a common dealer practice they never do the repair work or put the repairs in writing as they want you to purchase the additional paint/wheel package and make you claim on that - You bought it, tough ***** sort of attitude

I found undeclared rear damage on mine, but it was repaired correctly

TBH it just winds me up, that some dealers do this and screw customers over

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I took it to my main dealer on Thursday they agreed to repair it at no cost and supplied  a replacement on loan.

I went to collect it today Saturday 10th April but there were still two pimples

(I couldn't get clear enough photos on my phone today)

I was told that the original fault was due to a poor repair but it was supplied as a Toyota plus approved car

They agreed it wasn't right and say they'll take it to the body shop on Monday

I checked with motability who wouldn't tell me anything neither would the original main dealer.

However I did check with the insurance company RSA (who motability use)  and they told me a rear fog lamp had been repaired in 2019

I purchased it in March 2019 .

Also I couldn't see any metal 'flakes' in the new paint I was told I they were there it was due to the angle of sunlight.

When I get it back should I have it checked over again by an expert from the AA for example ?

• Like 1

After expressing my concerns I was told the  car would be taken to an approved body shop in Southampton 110 miles away!

Hopefully, I'll get it back in a week or so, watch this space !

At least they are doing their best to sort it. I too thought you had no chance. Glad to be proved wrong. Looking forward to the update.

When I bought my Toyota as a Toyota used approved. I did a HPI check on it, before completing the purchase. Came back all good.

James👍

4 hours ago, Peter P said:

I was told the  car would be taken to an approved body shop in Southampton 110 miles away!

Hope they don't use your petrol!

• 3 weeks later...

They have returned the car today April 29th after having it for over two weeks.

It looks to me as more than the rear panel has been resprayed as I can now see a fault on the bumper that wasn't there previously!

I had to sign for it but I made sure  I wrote unexamined on the receipt.

The colour also looks different in that  I can't see any metallic 'flakes' anywhere.

Or is it me?

afterepair.jpg

It must have been a trick of the light the metallic finish is now more visible in todays sunny weather!

I took it to a local body shop today to check the work done. They said the rear quarter banel, door and rear bumper had been resprayed. The mark on the bumper is from this.

I'll let my local dealer know about the mark on the bumper and try to get them to fix it at the next service.