Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Battery Management

Any good tutorials on how to best manage the Battery on a 13 Reg Yaris Hybrid?

The Toyota manual on this is minimal so asking here to those that will know.

Really after a dummies/how to type of guide, so can get the best out of the car.

2 minutes ago, Hybrid8 said:

Any good tutorials on how to best manage the battery on a 13 Reg Yaris Hybrid?

The Toyota manual on this is minimal so asking here to those that will know.

Really after a dummies/how to type of guide, so can get the best out of the car.

Are you referring to the Hybrid Battery or the 12v Auxiliary Battery Hybrid 8 ?

As the Prius has such a good reputation for long life and hoping the the Yaris hybrid uses the same technology. Do nothing!

Don't think there is any owner management/maintenance that can be done on the hybrid Battery. Toyota servicing every 12 months or 10,000 miles (now called hybrid electric service) checks the condition of the hybrid Battery, and for cars aged 5 year plus, can provide a 1 year/10,000 mile extended warranty on the hybrid Battery - renewable up to the car's 15th birthday.

• Like 1

DO NOTHING, there are no user serviceable parts to the HV Battery, you are in danger of electrocuting yourself, please leave well alone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Simon,

Actually there are some maintenance tips to prevent any eventual damage and to extend the life of the Battery.

1. Cleaning Battery cooling fan, vents and pipes plus change of air filter if the car has one fitted. 

2. Checks and prevent of any water ingress into the boot and Battery compartment , water usually finds its way through the rear lights clusters. , never drive through deep waters, anything deeper than bottom of the car.

3. In winter use heating and set a desired temperature inside the cabin to be comfortable for you and the Battery,  in summer time use AC when outside temperatures are over 20C° or as per personal preferences, but it is important to keep a room temperature interior as your Battery is air cooled. 

4. Use the car from time to time, don’t just leave it without any use for weeks or months 

5. Do not turn off your car when internal combustion engine is running, always wait the ice to turn off itself first, then you can switch off you car, this is especially important when planning to leave the car for long time and your hybrid Battery is drained. If interested about the hybrid technology you can watch videos about Prius as the car has very similar tech and most online info and tips comes from Prius owners and enthusiasts. 👍 That’s pretty much all. 
Enjoy your hybrid car. 

What I was really after was on the screen that shows Battery levels etc?

Should I drive in a particular way to get the best out of the car?

And thanks for all the comments as interesting reading.

This Android app is free and very useful!  It is written by hybrid enthusiasts.

But to use it you'll need a ELM327 OBD2 dongle (about £12 upwards) and an Android phone or tablet.

Its not essential, but it does 'open up' what is going on with the car's unusual drivetrain etc.

Definitely worth a look.

http://hybridassistant.blogspot.com/p/about.html

56 minutes ago, Hybrid8 said:

What I was really after was on the screen that shows battery levels etc?

Should I drive in a particular way to get the best out of the car?

And thanks for all the comments as interesting reading.

Yes, there is a way of getting more from the hybrid system, though leaving to the computer is fine.                
Go on YouTube and look for “driving techniques Toyota hybrid” or something like that and you will get lots of videos of Prius driving, mostly from the US. I just been on YouTube and there now are some videos specifically aimed at the Yaris, follow those for sure but still more info for Toyota hybrids.

Enjoy