Do Not Sell My Personal Information

House/Leisure Battery for Estima Camper

Lyal Sutton

Hi all. I have converted my 1995 Estima Lucida to a Camper (removed rear seats and built-in a bed and storage etc) and after the first shakedown trip we want to add a second Battery so as not to flatten the starting Battery. There is a space under the bonnet on Right Hand Side (in front of driver) that was possibly intended for a second Battery, however it seems very small, after checking dimensions of possible batteries.  Would appreciate hearing how others have arranged this, e.g. location of battery, size of battery.

Thanks

Lyal

We have a 2000 model Estima which is converted to a Freedom camper, I built a custom sized plywood box to house a car battery(house battery) into and it fits snuggly between the 2 front seats, the lid is removable to access wiring etc and also makes a !Removed! good shelf for our phones etc.

This may not suit your 1995 model, but is a idea.

20210330_134545a.jpg

• Like 1

Good idea, as space is at a premium. Thanks, Deadheat.

Hi again Geoff. We in New Zealand. Our camper build is 70% done, and would be grateful if you could post more photos of your interior layout, bed - storage - kitchen etc. as we may be able to incorporate more good ideas. If more convenient to email let me know. Cheers

Lyal

Hi Lyal, you could view our camper in Auckland, NZ anytime............. 🙂

Here's a few more photos, anything in particular you want to see, just ask.

20190417_184028_resized_1.jpg

20190421_093331.jpg

20190829_200417_resized.jpg

20190219_134828.jpg

The last photo is before installing the bed 'headboard' which then the kitchen cabinetry was attached to.

20210331_130755.jpg

20210331_131038(1).jpg

20210331_130956.jpg

20190309_105400.jpg

Hi Geoff. Thanks for the pics, our layout much the same but not having a sink. We in Mapua. Re Auckland we were planning on going up there for the Americas Cup, but didn't due the lockdown and associated uncertainty. Had a quick buzz round the upper West Coast instead and now resolving a few things that needed fine tuning, including the house Battery. Will get to Auckland at some stage and may contact you. Will be based in Te Atatu South.  I suppose I can save you as a contact on this website? And may change my display name if I can figure it out.

Cheers

Lyal

No worries at all, I do get notified to interactions on here, so just keep in touch via this post.

Our house Battery is a 530CCA Car Battery, it's only task is to run the Waeco fridge 24/7 whilst we are away travelling, which is does perfectly with no problems.

The Battery is charged purely via the engine Alternator whilst the engine is running, via a VSR relay.

Lucky last photo is French Pass, Oct 2019!

20191007_101514.jpg

Never been to French Pass. What's the road like these days?

Gas cooker - we planned to leave the gas hose connected to the cooker. Noticed that in your your set up, it is disconnected when the cooker put back in its spot. That would make it slightly easier for us - Does it work well for you?   

It's a pretty good condition road in, lots of it is shingle but no problem at all, quite smooth etc, lots of view points along the way.

We only use the cooker 1x time per day normally, so to screw connector on is no problem, as it was much easier to do this than try and leave it fitted 24/7 as it would stick out too far on the right side and cooker would have to of been re positioned much further to the left to be able to slide back in again, which would then interfere with the water tanks etc....... this 2x step process to hook up seemed to be the easiest outcome!

Heres the road into FP.

DSC_0725a.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi again. Have been charging our 70Ah AGM house Battery from engine alternator via a VSR. Main use is  to power a fridge drawing 3 Amps. There's been a problem in that the house Battery became sulphated then wouldn't start the engine. Battery supplier suspicious of our dual battery set-up (VSR). Sulphation happens when a lead acid battery sits at a low voltage. I note that after a run when both batteries are charged the VSR stays on until the engine battery voltage reduces to 12.5V. This means that the electrical load is drawn from both batteries until voltage reduces to 12.5 which is what it is designed to do. However I wondered if 12.5V is too low for the starting battery to sit at?

Comments welcomed.

(I am considering keeping the two batteries separate and having a solar panel charging the house battery 70Ah AGM, and may post this as a separate subject.)  

Cheers