Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 Touring Sports Bike Rack options?

Devine

Hey you super useful bunch !

So has anyone here used a bike rack on the boot of their touring sports. I've had real trouble finding any that say they will fit..... other than a tow bar or roof rack 

Cheers muchly

Hi Devine,

Unfortunately, I don't believe it is possible to fit a boot mounted bike rack on the Corolla (TS or hatch).  This is the page from Roofbox.co.uk:

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/bike_carrier_options_/Qx%40w%2C6M4%2CME}%40nkCu5P5zqBAFEw0kVTgozjqeVfI}7RLNbw{r%40Zq%40`TQOX~tuCxh9bfZTrB2eA9f%40y%40

I have just bought a tow bar mounted bike rack which I'm very pleased with.

There's a thread on tow bar fitting elsewhere on this forum which I started before I bought my car (and got many useful replies).

I've got the car, tow bar and bike rack now and am planning to update that thread with some photos when I find some time.

Sorry not to have better news (and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will step in and say !!).

Cheers,

Phil

• Thanks 2

I have a tow bar bike carrier.  A pet hate of mine is following cars loaded up with bikes that completely obscure their tail and indicator lights.  Very few seem to follow (or know about) the legal requirement to display a tailboard if lights are obscured, and police don't seem bothered to pull anyone anymore

• Thanks 1

Having had to take evasive action on the M25 when a rear door mounted bike rack and 2 bikes parted company with the car in front, I wouldn’t go anywhere near one. Especially when there are so many tow ball/bar mounted ones about. Also I have seen the remnants of at 2 others at the side of the road. I no longer get anywhere near a car with a rack held to back of car with a couple of bits of rubber strap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all. 

Going to go through Thule roof bar route I think.... for the amount we will use it installing a proper tow bar and carrier will not make sense. Scary comments though!!!

I was about to ask the same question as I have a tailgate mounted bike rack. However as I have cleaned mine a few times now and noticed that the tailgate is plastic? Also there isn’t much of a lip on the bumper that the bottom of the carrier sits on. 

Answering some comments on here though, mine is one that hangs on the top half of the tailgate so it doesn’t obscure rear lamps and number plate that I also see a lot out there do.

think I may go roof bar route as I guess would be a cheaper option?

Roof bar option definitely the cheaper option if you haven't already got a tow bar fitted.

Although I thought I'd attach a photo of my tow bar mounted carrier (on a hatch) for interest.  Took it out for a first run into the country on Monday and it was extremely sturdy and secure.

Mine is the Thule EasyFold XT2 - not a cheap option but I can definitely recommend on experience so far.

Cheers,

Phil

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

I have had a Thule 2 bike tow bar rack on a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 Prius, and they are wonderful.

I have done the roof bar rack, and the strapped on rear rack, and the tow bar ball is the way to go.

just maybe a Saris Bones rear rack would fit a Corolla, as the lower part of the tailgate/hatch takes the weight of the rigid design.

Have ordered the new 2.0 with a Toy tow bar

This is the Prius with a couple of 25kg e-bikes on the Thule rack, and travelled twice to Spain with this.....bikes now replaced with a pair of 

9kg lightweights!

613AFB23-CB12-4FB0-B2C4-5C177DEB016A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links