Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-Sport Steering Wheel Controls with aftermarket head unit?

Kenno

Really hoping somebody can help me!...

I've installed a Sony head unit in my 2005 T-Sport and would like to use the factory steering wheel controls.

I've spent hours googling and messing with wires, but can't figure it out. There seem to be lots of adapter units advertised as fitting the 2005 yaris, but they don't - at least not mine anyway.

I've bought a Connects2 harness but the plug for the steering wheel controls is a 20 pin connector with 3 wires (black, blue, pink). I know the steering wheel control wires plug into the back of the display unit above the stereo, and mine is an 8 pin (I think) with a black, red and a pinkish wire).

I've tried manually connecting the wires in different configurations but the closest I've got is that the steering wheel controls will make the stereo beep and the mode button will toggle something on the radio, but I'm not getting close to what it's supposed to do.

I've seen a couple of promising posts from people who've successfully done this, but the wiring colours either in their yaris or the adapter harness are different to what I have. There was also a post suggesting that the wiring is totally different in the T-Sport, but offered no further info.

So, if there's anybody out there who's managed to do this, or knows anything about the wiring etc. please give me a shout! I have lots of questions and any help or advice will be very gratefully received!..

Ia this possible? Am I on the right lines with manually connecting the wires? Do I need a 150ohm resistor wired in (mentioned in one post with a different adapter)? Should I stick with the connects2 adapter? Is the wiring in the T-Sport really different?

Sorry for the long post and obscene amount of questions!!

Do you have a Multimeter ? the 3 wires are Remote A, Remote B and Ground the controls are resistance based eg. each button has its own value

I take it you have the patch lead for the connects2 adapter, what adapter did you purchase ?

Edit. HIT64 is the serial bus for the sat nav supposedly

332744724_xp10TSph2audiodisplay.thumb.jpg.8e7b4ba28a620242f9208accbe413034.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you!! This is really helpful. 

I do have a multimeter. Never sure how to use it but I'll try to figure it out as I go along.

So, the plug with the hit64 wires might not actually be for the steering wheel controls after all?

Edit - I bought the connects2 ctsty001.2 adapter

Ah i worked it out it is on the display

Pins 14 and 15 on the 18 pin connector 2 wire remote, They may well be the AVC-Lan type controls if so the controls need adapting

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Pins 14 and 15 on the 18 pin connector 2 wire remote

Thanks, the TAU and TAUB injector ones? So I need to connect them to the connects2 wires?

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Pins 14 and 15 on the 18 pin connector 2 wire remote, They may well be the AVC-Lan type controls if so the controls need adapting

Thanks, I read on the corolla forum about somebody modifying the swc pcb's to get it working so i might have to venture down that route. Or possibly give up and buy an aftermarket remote.

Remove the controls, across 2 of the pins read the resistance value with a button pressed with a multimeter set to Ohms - Ω each button should have its own resistance

I do not have a source for the XP10 wiring manual ............................ yet

You could use a multimeter on the continuity setting and go from the plug of the audio controls to find the wire on the 18 pin

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll give this a go later today.

Its not pins 14 and 15 it looks like they are AVC looking at the early diagrams

This is mighty confusing

I have found information stating it's the 8 pin, the plug has to be disconnected from the display pins 4 and 5 and a pull down on pin 8 (yet to confirm)

• Thanks 1

Official information found

2002 onwards NCP10 and 13

They are resistive base controls NOT AVC-Lan

The correct pinout (8 pin plug) is 6 (Black), 7 (Red) and 8 (white) (factory colours) the wires go to the clock spring  in comes out of the clock spring in a blue 6 pin plug and then into a 4 pin plug on the back of the switch

Its not documented very well but colours may change

The display is a 86110-52140, audio controls are 84247-0D010 and the clock spring is 84306-52050

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of this!

So the black is ground and the 2 others are the output from the steering wheel?

Is a pull down where you wire a resistor into the circuit? So I'd need to do that on the white wire? I'd read somewhere that they had to use a 150ohm resistor on one wire then connect both outputs to one wire on their adapter but it wasn't a connects2 one (might have been a PAC one).

That may be the PAC interface that requires the resistor but i need to compare the resistance values of the  controls to what the control output and what the connects 2 interface wants to see

see my edit above.

Display          Clock Spring          Switch

6                            4                         3                        Ground

7                            6                          1 or 4

8                            5                          1 or 4

P13 Ts swrc.pdf

• Thanks 1

I'll take a look after work. I've asked the connects2 support team for more information about their 3 swc input wires but it seems as soon as they realised I'd already wasted money on one of their adapters and they didn't have an alternative to sell me there's not much point in them helping out any further! 

The connect2 adapter will work i have now compared the P13 with the later cars and the buttons are in the same resistance range for each button

As for the pinouts the 20 pin is a Toyota standard again its pins 6 (GND), 7 (SW1) and 8 (SW2)

iirc connects2 use black (GND) Pink (SW1) And Blue (SW2)

• Thanks 1

I have resistance values and they're all bang on!

Vol+ 997 (on 2000 setting)

Vol- 3.1 (on 20k setting)

Seek+ 2 (on 2000)

Seek- 328 (on 2000)

All of these were from pin 7 (red wire)

On pin 8 (white, or pinkish on mine)...

Mode 2 (on 2000 setting)

So, to get it working, do I just need to connect my black (pin 6) to the connects2 black, my red (pin 7) to the connects2 pink (sw1) and my white/pinkish (pin 8 to the connects2 blue (sw2)?

I feel like I've tried this but may have missed something. 

We're making progress! I've connected them up black (pin 6) to the connects2 black, my red (pin 7) to the connects2 pink (sw1) and my white/pinkish (pin 8 to the connects2 blue (sw2) and its partially working. The volume controls both work, and so does the seek down, however seek up doesn't seem to do anything and Mode just seems to switch the stereo off (but not back on).

It's working! I raised another support ticket with Connects2 to explain the current issue and this time they got back to me really quickly to say that the module may be set to Pioneer instead of Sony. I just had to unclip the module and change the dip switch settings inside (all to the off position for Sony in case anybody needs to know). Everything's working now, and I'd pretty much given up hope a couple of days ago!

Many thanks Flash22 for all your help. I needed the confidence in the wiring to trace the problem back to the adapter itself. I'd never have figured this out myself! 

Hopefully there's enough info in this thread if anybody else has a similar issue!

I'm off out now to drive round aimlessly for a bit skipping tracks and changing volume just because I can!

Glad you got it sorted - Sw1 is usually Mode, SW2 does the rest

Not had issues with connect2 adapters for a long while (usually being supplied the wrong patch lead) at one point there were 3 types for Kenwood and 2 for Sony

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Good thread - one step ahead of me though i have a Ph1 T sport without the controls and am looking to upgrade to it..

Its 3 wires from the switches to the audio controls adapter (aftermarket radio), you will just need to confirm if you have the correct clockspring

Audio controls buttons - 84247-0D010

Be aware the Yaris verso controls are different as they use avc-lan

Clockspring aka spiral cable

The basic one has 1 small connector (for the airbag) and a larger connector with only 2 pins (horn)

The one for audio controls, the large connector has 4 or 6 pins

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links