Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SR180 run flat tyres

Izz

Does anyone know of a Toyota dealership in the north of England or Scotland which currently has the working machinery necessary to replace RAV4 run flat tyres??

No but I thought many people just cut the metal bands off and fit normal tyres.

The BSR run-flats may have been a good idea in principle and they certainly work it has turned out to be something of a 'mistake' in practice since they require special equipment and that generation of RAV is the only vehicle that uses them.

Toyota fitted them as original equipment - it really is up to Toyota, and more specifically your local Toyota dealer, to provide the service that you require. You'd have every right to complain loudly if they don't ...

And, as Dippy has indicated, any good independent should be able to remove the tyres, cut away the support rings and fit a good, standard, all season tyre of your choice. Not only will the car ride better but you will have done with the problem once and for all (these machines aren't going to become any easier to find). Of course that comes with the expense of four new tyres and a repair kit or spare ...

Many thanks for getting back to me - problem is a screw nail in the middle of the tread of the rear nearside tyre - still more than 6mm of tread on all four tyres so loathe to change them all now even if I can find an independent reasonably locally to do it!!  -  the equipment failed recently at my local dealer and apparently they can't get the parts to repair the machinery this time  -   have e-mailed Toyota UK for information on where in the UK there is functioning equipment/machinery to deal with RAV4 run flats - tried Border (Scottish) Toyota and they don't have the equipment - a very slow puncture at the moment so arguably safe to use and not an MOT failure (Advisory only) - will let you know what, if anything, Toyota UK get back to me with!!! 

I thought a puncture in the middle of the tread was repairable? (Or you need to take it off to repair it...)

11 hours ago, Dippy said:

I thought a puncture in the middle of the tread was repairable? (Or you need to take it off to repair it...)

Yes, no and maybe ... a small puncture in the middle of the tread can be repaired without taking the tyre off the rim; a larger hole needs to be repaired from the inside (which obviously means removing the tyre from the rim); and in the case of a 'nail' or equivalent the repairer may well want to inspect the inside of the tyre to ensure that there is no internal damage to the sidewall (in which case the tyre would be 'toast' regardless).

Just to add insult to injury, if runflats were supplied OE, then changing them out to conventional tyres is technically a modification that should be declared to your insurer. Some will exercise common sense and simply note it, others will want an additional premium. If it wasn’t declared and something serious happened, you don’t want to be in a situation where your insurer can say you knowingly misrepresented the insured risk... that can potentially lead to the kind of outcome that has lifelong legal and financial implications for you.

Technically you may be right but I have a 2008 car that came with RFT in some countries in the EU and without RFT in others. So I think while it might need to be a declared mod, I think an insurer would struggle to show its significance in any accident. 

Unfortunately it’s irrelevant what other markets got, unless you are insuring an import. You are asked when obtaining a quote if the veichle has been modified in any way from the manufacturers original specifications, the answer to that question is always going to be yes if it’s not using RFT. I don’t like it, I don’t think it’s fair, but I also know that if anything ever came if it, then having to answer ‘Yes’ to ‘Have you ever had insurance refused, cancelled or special terms imposed?’ is going to be even less fun, and that’s an answer that lives with you for the rest of your life.

Hi again  -  some useful information has come through from Toyota UK  - they sent out a general e-mail to all Toyota groups and have had, sadly and surprisingly?, only a limited response  -  three Toyota Centres have replied to confirm that they have the equipment necessary to deal with SR180 run flats  -  Sheffield, Colchester and Leicester - it would appear that there is not that much call for it these days, most owners of 'ancient' RAV4s it would appear have opted to replace the run flats with standard tyres - I'll be heading to Sheffield in the not too distant future! - many thanks for your various comments  D.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had mine removed by a tyre dealer and carry a spare so no more worries I also notified my insurance as its a change of specs

Most insurers are unlikely to get excited if notified, it’s when they’re looking at hundreds of thousands of pounds in liability that they are more inclined to look for a reason to dispute cover. Hastings for example have tried to invalidate cover (and gone to court over) three small sunflower stickers previously. I’m not sure many people are aware that an insurer can potentially try to refuse a claim over something as trivial as a small sticker, but it can and occasionally does happen.