Do Not Sell My Personal Information

where can I buy 12v battery for hybrid yaris

jayla

Hello

I am after 12v Battery for my 2015 yaris hybrid due the car not starting first time but start after 10mins wait.

where can I buy it from due to the fact Toyota have them on back order?

Also I am guessing I can change them my self  as a electronic engineer I am aware of the hybrid high voltage.

Can one give brand and make of batter or even item number 

Thanks 

Hi, you can search eBay and Amazon, or car parts websites like Eurocarparts carparts4less any of them have . Just get measure of your Toyota Battery and make sure same capacity. Bosch, Varta, Yuassa plenty on offer and much cheaper. 
Good luck 

You should be able to get one from euro car parts enter your reg number and it will come up with suitable replacements.

Halfords are another possibility or your local Battery shop if you have one near you.

you won’t need to touch the high voltage side at all, don’t forget disconnect negative first re connect last. Varta batteries are generally reliable and I think a lot of Toyota hybrids have  them as does mine.

eBay for about £100-150 - 12v has no direct connection to the HV other than the contactor

The 12v Hybrid Battery is an AGM type as far as I'm aware only Yuasa make them

Toyota Part number

28800-21181 (Yuasa S34B20R)

I'm not sure if there is another toyota part No. for it like 28800-YZZRD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosgoe said:

You should be able to get one from euro car parts enter your reg number and it will come up with suitable replacements.

halfords are another possibility or your local battery shop if you have one near you.

Sadly not, Not many places keep these on the shelf as they are a specific size and terminal type

@jayla you may be able to get a charge in it, it needs a slow, low current charge between 2-4 amps a really flat AGM can take 48 hours to charge off the car, Due to the way the DC to DC convertor charging works in the car it can take 100's of miles to get it fully charged

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Sadly not, Not many places keep these on the shelf as they are a specific size and terminal type

This is correct already tried eurocar parts said no to me already. Toyota dont even know when them back in stock they been waiting a while and the price was 98 plus vat 

2 hours ago, jay_1 said:

This is wrong battery as terminals wrong ways. So people are aware

Thats strange considering it says it is genuine Toyota Battery for Yaris auris  2013-2018 did you order it and found out when it arrived or phoned the company they ought to be notified 

Toyota Part number

28800-21181 (Yuasa S34B20R)

Just double-checked this in the EPC 04/2012 - 07/2020

Edit. Alternate Part Number 28800-YZZPC,

As above TonyHSD links to the Yuasa S34B20R what is the same Battery without the Toyota sticker

Seems like there is a lot of mis-information - unless there is enough slack in the cables to put the Battery in 180º as the Battery is the same physical dimensions

I have been out to my car and had a look - you can fit the other Battery as the Negative comes from the front left across to the right with a loop of cable taped back and the Positive  comes from the rear right to the top left - clearance is such you can fit it either

ps. while you have the seat up, clean out the hybrid fan

as you see on this pic from another member the Negative has a taped up loop

battery2.jpg.eb56506903594297e031c36c909

• Like 1

Do you need to remove all these metal tubes to change the Battery? It looks like a painful job to do. 👍

No, iirc you pop the trim off, this is for the Yaris

The Battery is in a compact place.  i think side panel might need to be moved to get to negative nut.  

so people know Yuasa sell 2 type of battery which are the same apart from the terminal swapped around and Yes  @TonyHSD that one is the correct one for my Battery.

Can someone please let me know if they have installed solar panels or Battery charger where they connecting it in the car. Reason i ask is some of these car cannot be connected directly to the battery as they have a voltage monitor. 

So i just want to know where i can hooke the 13w solar if anyones has done it. i so annoying that its not easy to take the battery out to do charge it up.

Also keep in mind this is a AGM battery please use correct charger not the old ones.  

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

I have been out to my car and had a look - you can fit the other battery as the Negative comes from the front left across to the right with a loop of cable taped back and the Positive  comes from the rear right to the top left - clearance is such you can fit it either

ps. while you have the seat up, clean out the hybrid fan

as you see on this pic from another member the Negative has a taped up loop

battery2.jpg.eb56506903594297e031c36c909

the person i bought it of somehow damage the clip on the seat that connects to the car so i only have one side clipping. Cannot even find the  clip no where. also  lost all the trim clips. just hope he did not to jump start if from there before i bought the car. as it was flat.

The seat clips are not expensive and are easily broken, the push pins are a common part as well

90467-08226

72693-0D040 - Seat hook lock (retail is £7 each from toyota)

You can jump start a car just don't do it repeatedly - to remove the Battery - remove the drivers side and middle covers from the back seat - disconnect the Battery - remove the hold down

3 hours ago, jay_1 said:

so people know Yuasa sell 2 type of battery which are the same apart from the terminal swapped around

Over the years I've noticed a lot of car batteries come in 'handed' versions with the dimensions and capacities the same but different 3-digit code number with opposite polarities - eg. 054 and 055.

The AGM Batteries don't conform to the 3-4 digit DIN/ETN code as they are classed as Auxiliary battery's  they use the manufacturers code eg. S34B20R - the 34 is the AH rating - 20 is the Hour rating - R is the negative location

these batteries use the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) sized Battery terminals

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/understanding-the-specifications

my car went in  for a hybrid heath check today and i told them to also do 12v Battery check. They told me nothing wrong with the Battery see attachment.

The sale advisor told me something interesting that no one has told me before. He said leave the A/C on in the car when i am charging the car on my driveway. This will keep the engine on and charge the Battery. I am doubting his advise. First this car has no alternator so why would you even need the engine on and it will drain more power in my eye. Not only that i thought it the hybrid battery charges the 12v not the engine. 

Let me know your throughs. it only took him 20mins to do hybrid and battery checked. Surprised they charge so much to do this.

20210412_165819.jpg

Jay, you correct in saying Toyota hybrids do not have an alternator.                 
However, the 12v Battery is charged via the big hybrid Battery, but if the hybrid Battery gets to a certain depletion level then the petrol engine will kick in to charge the hybrid battery which can then continue to charge the 12v battery. The computer does all the thinking fortunately for us.                
The sales guy is correct in saying leaving the air con on, or other electrical items, will drain the battery quicker and thus mean the petrol engine will run more...... but this is not needed.   As already said, if enough power in the hybrid battery it will continue to charge 12v, when it depletes the engine kicks in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jay_1 said:

The sale advisor told me something interesting that no one has told me before.

Salesmen get their information from strange places. I've never believed one yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jay_1 said:

First this car has no alternator

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Toyota hybrids do not have an alternator

They have 2 in fact - MG1 and MG2.

They don't have a 12V alternator. (Or a 12V starter motor.)

2 hours ago, jay_1 said:

Surprised they charge so much to do this.

How much is "so much"?

It doesn't charge from the HV Pack its has its own DC to DC convertor within the Inverter

any heavy electrical load will start the engine inc the heater/AC set to hot or cold

MG1 is used for starting and charging the low side

MG2 is used as the main traction motor and HV charging

• MG1, an AC motor-generator having a permanent magnet rotor,[7] used as a motor when starting the ICE and as a generator (alternator) when charging the high voltage battery
  • MG2, an AC motor-generator, also having a permanent magnet rotor, used as the primary drive motor and as a generator (alternator), which regeneration power is directed to the high voltage battery. MG2 is generally the more powerful of the two motor-generators
  • Power electronics, including three DC-AC inverters and two DC-DC converters
  • Computerized control system and sensors
  • HVB, a high voltage battery sources electrical energy during acceleration and sinks electrical energy during regeneration braking

guess what the Battery is flat again when toyota checked it all over 2 das ago and said no issues.