Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo GR end of line Special

Scarlett’s Driver

Hi All,

AYGO Petrol Swansong Special?

Newbie checking in and wondering what you’re thoughts on a grande farewell before electric comes with a 1.0 100+ bhp or equivalent Aygo GR or GR line with upgraded breaks suspension etc. Not an Aygo Crazy but just something with a bit more oomph and even better handling round corners?

I pray this will happen. My perfect car. Any thoughts peeps? 

We have the VW Up GTi and even a Hyundai i10 N Line. Why not AYGO GR?

Regards,

Scarlett’s Driver

Scarlett at home below

D1BD522B-0F2D-4179-A9A7-990A3EA80810.jpeg

Toyota have already confirmed there will another new generation of Aygo and that it will still be a conventional petrol car, at present they are saying no hybrid nor Electric as economies of scale would price these to high for what is essentially an entry level car. 

Nothing stopping them doing a GR-Sport trim with the looks but unless they really surprise us I suspect it will still still be a 1.0 petrol although the new M15A 3 cylinder 1.5 in new Yaris could fit and that is making 125ps in a Yaris so fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Hello,

When I first drove an Aygo, I thought it would be a fantastic little light sporty car 😍

Simply putting a gearbox with shorter gears would make a huge change in the handling. I drove a Yaris with the Aygo engine and it felt much more responsive and dynamic.

But changing the nature of the Aygo would imply many improvements (larger tyres, better brakes...). The car would be heavier, much more expensive... I am not sure it can be done easily.

The perfect car is the AYGO CRAZY concept 😁

• Like 1

Besides, the Daihatsu 1.0 petrol engine is extremely small. I think it long had a record of lightness and even equipped some planes (to be confirmed).

So the engine bay is very small in the Aygo. Replacing the engine with a bigger one would be difficult, it would take a turbo 😞

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, zuh said:

Simply putting a gearbox with shorter gears would make a huge change in the handling. I drove a Yaris with the Aygo engine and it felt much more responsive and dynamic.

Yeah, the 3rd gear is far too spaced out from 2nd. Accelerates nicely to 60mph in 2nd, then change to 3rd and...... blurgggggh

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fordulike said:

Yeah, the 3rd gear is far too spaced out from 2nd. Accelerates nicely to 60mph in 2nd, then change to 3rd and...... blurgggggh

Fitting a 6 speed gearbox plus a longer final drive ratio would be good, IMHO 5th is too short for motorway cruising and it's even possible to use 5th gear when pottering in town at 30mph!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota have already confirmed there will another new generation of Aygo and that it will still be a conventional petrol car, at present they are saying no hybrid nor Electric as economies of scale would price these to high for what is essentially an entry level car. 

Nothing stopping them doing a GR-Sport trim with the looks but unless they really surprise us I suspect it will still still be a 1.0 petrol although the new M15A 3 cylinder 1.5 in new Yaris could fit and that is making 125ps in a Yaris so fingers crossed.

125ps would be mighty fine 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zuh said:

Hello,

When I first drove an Aygo, I thought it would be a fantastic little light sporty car 😍

But changing the nature of the Aygo would imply many improvements (larger tyres, better brakes...). The car would be heavier, much more expensive... I am not sure it can be done easily.

The perfect car is the AYGO CRAZY concept 😁

I agree the Aygo is fab in current form but I  would pay the extra for this car provided it was relative to others in the range.

5 hours ago, zuh said:

Besides, the Daihatsu 1.0 petrol engine is extremely small. I think it long had a record of lightness and even equipped some planes (to be confirmed).

So the engine bay is very small in the Aygo. Replacing the engine with a bigger one would be difficult, it would take a turbo 😞

It’s to be Hyundai i10 which has a new 1.0 90 bhp engine. I don’t think Daihatsu sell cars anymore. 
Yes I know what you mean though, space maybe an issue but the 3 cylinder engines seem to have more revs and are fun, they are also smaller than a 4 to fit generally I think.

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Fitting a 6 speed gearbox plus a longer final drive ratio would be good, IMHO 5th is too short for motorway cruising and it's even possible to use 5th gear when pottering in town at 30mph!

Such is the flexibility of this amazing Aygo 😊

2 minutes ago, Scarlett’s Driver said:

I don’t think Daihatsu sell cars anymore.

Daihatsu pulled out of Europe due to the then unfavourable currency exchange rates which made their Japanese produced cars expensive. They are still very alive in Asian markets.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlett’s Driver said:

It’s to be Hyundai i10 which has a new 1.0 90 bhp engine.

There is a supercharged version of the 1KR-FE available called the D-1KR-FE, see DEE Ltd D-1KR-FE

DEE-Ltd has also developed a supercharged version for performance applications which develops 120bhp and 150Nm.

Now THAT would be good!!!

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Daihatsu pulled out of Europe due to the then unfavourable currency exchange rates which made their Japanese produced cars expensive. They are still very alive in Asian markets.

Good to know. Love the little 4x4 and the Fourtrak