Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying a celica

Cereals007

Hey everyone, 

I am looking to buy a celica for my 17 year old son as his first car, ive done my research but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look for with the car or if anyone is selling one currently as I thought it might be worth a quick message to the forums. 

Thanks alot, Elliot

I should also note im looking at the post 2000 model, the gen 7 🙂

Hi Elliot

A Celica would be a nice first car. How much is the insurance for a 17 year old? 

Regards

2 minutes ago, HS78 said:

Hi Elliot

A Celica would be a nice first car. How much is the insurance for a 17 year old? 

Regards

Not too bad actually, around 1500 similar to alot of budget cars that are far from a celica.

Yeah the later year the better tbh, the 140hp models the most suitable prolly, first thing to do imo is check the mot history on any prospective purchase and check for previous and advisory issues looking particularly for corrosiony type things to drop up, 2nd get any vendor to send you a pic of underneath at the rear before setting out to see how generally rusty or not it is or alternatively firstly when checking the car over yourselves.

Without going into details about where they rust and remedial costs just try and get one that isn't too rusty.

(No petrol smells as pipes can rust thro)

Obviously look at general bodywork condition and evidence of maintenance and oil changes cos they can burn oil if neglected.

The rads can leak and need changing so check it isn't currently overheating similarly the power steering cooler pipes can leak so just check there aren't any current leaks and the steering s not whiney (+ fluid levels etc).

Brakes aren't the best so check they aren't too rusty and with meat on pads/condition.

alloys can corrode too so a general look at them n tyres too.

Check engines not too noisy and the gearchanges is ok and not impending slipping.

Think there the main things to stand you in good stead.

Tbh there s not that much that goes wrong with em  they're pretty reliable not a lot too worry about but getting a not too rusty one that doesn't burn a lot of oil s the only priority

Hth

40 minutes ago, gezhenry said:

Yeah the later year the better tbh, the 140hp models the most suitable prolly, first thing to do imo is check the mot history on any prospective purchase and check for previous and advisory issues looking particularly for corrosiony type things to drop up, 2nd get any vendor to send you a pic of underneath at the rear before setting out to see how generally rusty or not it is or alternatively firstly when checking the car over yourselves.

Without going into details about where they rust and remedial costs just try and get one that isn't too rusty.

Obviously look at general bodywork condition and evidence of maintenance and oil changes cos they can burn oil if neglected.

The rads can leak and need changing so check it isn't currently overheating similarly the power steering cooler pipes can leak so just check there aren't any current leaks and the steering s not whiney (+ fluid levels etc).

Brakes aren't the best so check they aren't too rusty and with meat on pads/condition.

Alloys can corrode too so a general look at them n tyres too.

Check engines not too noisy and the gearchanges is ok and not impending slipping.

Tbh there s not that much that goes wrong with em  they're pretty reliable not a lot too worry about but getting a not too rusty one that doesn't burn a lot of oil s the only priority

Hth

Cheers gez, top quality advice and super helpful! Will be using this as a checklist when I go to look at listings. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gezhenry said:

Alloys can corrode too so a general look at them n tyres too.

Hth

I actually went to look at one today and read online about rear rust issues, how does this compare to ideal when touching some physical pieces of metal would come of. 

167997206_2366967566781325_3130477247393907034_n.jpg

Yeah good luck they're a good choice/all-rounder/compromise and one a youngster d b proud of tbh I personally wouldn't look for any before 2004 from my analysis and ignore the miles if looked after don't bother to just look for low milers, but take a quick look underneath at the back for rust cos it's not obvious on top.

If you spot any likely contenders you can pm me for my opinion if you want.

Now delete this post before all the good ones get snapped up lol!!!

4 minutes ago, gezhenry said:

Yeah good luck they're a good choice/all-rounder/compromise and one a youngster d b proud of tbh I personally wouldn't look for any before 2004 from my analysis and ignore the miles if looked after don't bother to just look for low milers, but take a quick look underneath at the back for rust cos it's not obvious on top.

If you spot any likely contenders you can pm me for my opinion if you want.

Now delete this post before all the good ones get snapped up lol!!!

Thanks alot, defo will do. What do you think about the picture I linked above how bad is the rust. 

Tbh that look s ok you're not likely to get one without any whatsoever.

If you look at your good pic it's the area of the subframe/rear axle/crossmembe r at the ends at the top that is the really prone spot that doesn't look too bad id take a punt on that one.

but I forgot to say it's more on the drivers side really that goes rusty.

If I saw that pic id be pleasantly surprised myself tbh anymore info on that car what year is it?

2 minutes ago, gezhenry said:

Tbh that look s ok you're not likely to get one without any whatsoever.

If you look at your good pic it's the area of the subframe/rear axle/crossmembe r at the ends at the top that is the really prone spot that doesn't look too bad id take a punt on that one.

but I forgot to say it's more on the drivers side really that goes rusty.

This is the drivers side, I forgot to include this pic 🙂 the cars condition was absolutely perfect inside, it was the red edition so had some great leather seats only issue was slippage on the clutch which I assume would need to be replaced, spoke to the guy and he said he would negotiate the price to include a replacment only thing that put me off was the rust in the pictures attached, maybe should take it to a local garage with him to check it out and then could be the move. Thanks for your help btw its great to have someone knowledgeable to speak to!

166956773_256887872791613_3446600175746603598_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, gezhenry said:

If I saw that pic id be pleasantly surprised myself tbh anymore info on that car what year is it?

It is a 2004 model, good mot and two previous female drivers, minor missalignment on the front headlight which was replaced but owner said was before he had the car. 72000 miles and listed for 2850 🙂 

I sent you a quick pm for my opinion on it

Looks fine to me, but if you buy clean up the rust, treat and use some stone chip paint to prevent further decay. Good idea to get it up on ramp at friendly garage for second opinion.

James.👍

28 minutes ago, Auris James said:

Looks fine to me, but if you buy clean up the rust, treat and use some stone chip paint to prevent further decay. Good idea to get it up on ramp at friendly garage for second opinion.

James.👍

Thanks James will do, sounds like some good advice 🙂

• Thanks 1

No point in repeating the opinions and good advice already given..simply to say I had my Gen 7 (140) for 2 years and loved every minute of owning and driving it...it was such a briliant fun car to have and utterly reliable.

Although I love my current V6 Estima for it's power, space and comfort (5 years now) I would have kept the Celica had I had somewhere to store it...just to be able to have those days when I could enjoy the spirited drive it gave.

Good luck

3 hours ago, RUToyota said:

No point in repeating the opinions and good advice already given..simply to say I had my Gen 7 (140) for 2 years and loved every minute of owning and driving it...it was such a briliant fun car to have and utterly reliable.

Although I love my current V6 Estima for it's power, space and comfort (5 years now) I would have kept the Celica had I had somewhere to store it...just to be able to have those days when I could enjoy the spirited drive it gave.

Good luck

Can't wait to get my hands on one 🙂

In addition to above checks, check  oil and coolant for any trace of oil/coolant mix, which may be caused by cracks in head and block caused by overheating.

Also do a compression test on all cylinders.  Compression should be high and even within 10-20% from each other.

15 hours ago, CAPTAIN SOLO said:

In addition to above checks, check  oil and coolant for any trace of oil/coolant mix, which may be caused by cracks in head and block caused by overheating.

Also do a compression test on all cylinders.  Compression should be high and even within 10-20% from each other.

typically, look at the oil filler cap... the appearance of something which looks a bit like salad cream is what you are looking to avoid.

On 4/2/2021 at 7:18 PM, Cereals007 said:

Hey everyone, 

if anyone has any tips on what to look for with the car or if anyone is selling one currently as I thought it might be worth a quick message to the forums. 

Thanks alot, Elliot

Hi, Elliot & welcome to T.O.C.

This is what I've learnt, from a daily visitor to the celica-club.co.uk forum since 2004..

Corroded rear subframe

Corroded/leaking radiator

Corroded shock absorbers

Corroded/broken springs

Corroded brake pipes

Corroded/leaking fuel filler pipe

Corroded PAS pipe

Corroded/leaking sunroof

Corroded/seized calipers

Buckled wheels

Tired tailgate struts

Broken fuel flap hinges

Missing remote key

I haven't mentioned the obvious "wear & tear" items, such as clutch/battery/exhaust/tyres, which are applicable on almost any used car.

As can be seen from the list above, these cars were only built to last around 12 years, so you really need to be aware of what you could be letting yourself in for. The best advice I can give is, buy the newest car you can can afford, and proceed with extreme caution.

Don't be tempted by a pre face lift 140, which has an inherent design flaw in the block.

Good luck in your search 🙂

Kev.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments!

On 4/2/2021 at 7:18 PM, Cereals007 said:

Hey everyone, 

I am looking to buy a celica for my 17 year old son as his first car, ive done my research but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look for with the car or if anyone is selling one currently as I thought it might be worth a quick message to the forums. 

Thanks alot, Elliot

Hi my son is selling his if you are interested send him an email thanks

cyprus360@gmail.com

On 4/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, joshcelica said:

Hi my son is selling his if you are interested send him an email thanks

cyprus360@gmail.com

Thank you, email sent 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links