Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 rav4.won't move

Norman0665

Feels like hand brake is on ,but I can move the wheels around 20 mm can something else be seized as it won't dive

I've had that.  It was the handbrake jammed on.  I freed it with rocking between D and R (easy to do with an auto box), but with a manual box you could damage the clutch.

If it is about a 2002 Rav4, then it could be the infamous problem with the ECM on the 2001-2005 Rav4 models. When the ECM gets damaged the transmission gets stuck in 3rd gear many times. If that is the case, forcing it will burn the A/T clutches and then it will be the ECM + The transmission. Below is an article about it:

https://qcwo.com/technicaldomain/harsh-shifting-problems-on-toyota-rav-automatic-transmission/

I hope this helps.

That was not my problem.  Mine would not move at all - it was exactly like trying to move off, having forgotten to release the handbrake.  As I park on the flat,  I took to leaving it in P with no handbrake, and all was well.  I then resumed parking with the handbrake, and it happened once again.  I think it only happens if left for 2 weeks or more.