Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Open door warning sound


Recommended Posts

Hi All, is there a way of temporarily switching off the rather annoying open-door warning sound on the Toyota Yaris 1.5 (2018)? Thank you. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, edinburgh_lad said:

Hi All, is there a way of temporarily switching off the rather annoying open-door warning sound on the Toyota Yaris 1.5 (2018)? Thank you. 

 

 

 

 

 

Wojtek,     Why on Earth would any sensible person wish to disable a safety device  ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, edinburgh_lad said:

Hi All, is there a way of temporarily switching off the rather annoying open-door warning sound on the Toyota Yaris 1.5 (2018)? Thank you. 

Buy Toyota techstream online, ebays and alike have it for 10-15GBP.  Then install the software on laptop, and use the cable to connect to the car.

There should be an option to disable the alarm there.

Or you can go to Toyota and dish out much more,for the same service (Techstream is the same thing they use).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, furtula said:

Buy Toyota techstream online, ebays and alike have it for 10-15GBP.  Then install the software on laptop, and use the cable to connect to the car.

There should be an option to disable the alarm there.

Or you can go to Toyota and dish out much more,for the same service (Techstream is the same thing they use).

And don`t forget to inform your insurance company you short sighted individuals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess you could remove the door?

Or, a less extreme remedy, turn off the ignition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, john p williams said:

Wojtek,     Why on Earth would any sensible person wish to disable a safety device  ?

For years/decades there was no beeping when the door was open and while this beeping may well be a *'safety' feature now, I'd hope that anyone getting into a car would make sure that their is properly closed (plus, there's a display showing whether doors are open or closed)

 

* Hardly a safety feature. In today's society, one has to have a warning for everything. Even my washing machine warns me that it finished a cycle. 

So, while I think having a beeping reminder that your seatbelt is not on is justified, having the damn beeping thing on (non stop!) when I want the door open Is driving my crazy.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, john p williams said:

And don`t forget to inform your insurance company you short sighted individuals.

About what? That beeping has been switched off while I keep my door open? Don't be ridiculous - they'll probably think that you've lost your mind or something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikw said:

Guess you could remove the door?

Or, a less extreme remedy, turn off the ignition.

Thank you for the very useful advice - never thought about that at all.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, furtula said:

Buy Toyota techstream online, ebays and alike have it for 10-15GBP.  Then install the software on laptop, and use the cable to connect to the car.

There should be an option to disable the alarm there.

Or you can go to Toyota and dish out much more,for the same service (Techstream is the same thing they use).

Cheers! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's any help, on the last Toyota I owned (12 plate Avensis) you could reduce the volume of the door open warning sound, but couldn't disable it (using a copy of techstream).

edit... HERE'S a thread with screenshots of techstream's options

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most (all?) of the software configurable features on the car are shown as examples on the 'Carista' phone app website, to show off the abilities of their app.

They don't show any options relating to your requirement, so I think that is fairly unlikely you can do this via Techstream.  It seems that the larger, newer and more expensive the car is, the more it can be adapted.  

This link is from their site:-

https://caristaapp.com/vehicles/toyota/yaris/3rd-gen

Go to 'Customizations', and the 'See Sample Customizations', to see what they show.

(Note: There is a slider bar that is barely visible, on the right hand of the list.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, edinburgh_lad said:

About what? That beeping has been switched off while I keep my door open? Don't be ridiculous - they'll probably think that you've lost your mind or something. 

You are changing the standard specification of the vehicle my friend. Insurance Company needs to be informed of such changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edinburgh Lad, I can't believe the nonsense your post has generated.  I agree it is a complete PITA. If I want the door open and radio on the noise is intrusive.  Why would I want the door open and radio on? 

Perhaps I want to clean the door surround.  Perhaps I want to have the door open and stretch my legs while sitting down.  Perhaps my wife popped back the the house and left her door open.  Perhaps I want the door open..... 

As for telling the insurance company, FFS the OP said TEMPORARILY. It might be a hidden option. Do you tell your insurance company if you had Android Auto installed?  Now that could be a far more dangerous distraction than not having the door alarm temporarily switched off. 

Rant over

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK simple answer

It's the Key warning sound - Open door - warning sound - Press the door switch (on the B Pillar) and release - Enjoy the silence

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

OK simple answer

It's the Key warning sound - Open door - warning sound - Press the door switch (on the B Pillar) - Enjoy the silence

And when you release the switch? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It stays off - unless you have the headlights on manual - just flick them to off

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate that damn thing too.  In my view anyone who thinks having their peace (and anyone else's nearby) disturbed by that racket deserves to be shut in a room with it until they come to understand just how annoying it is!  It's not a 'safety device', it is simply telling you that you may be about to exit the car and leave your keys in the ignition.  It should be a selectable option for people who can't remember that they have left the key in the ignition.  Personally I would get rid of the seat belt alarm too.  How about that for shockingly decadent behaviour eh?  😜 

I'm going to try Flash's great tip, if it works it will be bliss.  I often like to listen to the radio as I clean the inside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another option.....................

Turn the ignition off before opening the door

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, john p williams said:

You are changing the standard specification of the vehicle my friend. Insurance Company needs to be informed of such changes.

I recently replaced my Toyota Wiper Blades with Bosch branded items. Should I inform my insurer? 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flash22 said:

OK simple answer

It's the Key warning sound - Open door - warning sound - Press the door switch (on the B Pillar) and release - Enjoy the silence

Just tried on ours and it won't shut up whatever combination of lights and door switch pressing I use.   As soon as I let go, it starts up again. ☹️  Is there a another trick I'm missing?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tintaglia, it worked for me - flat Battery 🙂

No, I am with you, if the power is on the sound is there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, john p williams said:

You are changing the standard specification of the vehicle my friend. Insurance Company needs to be informed of such changes.

The wording is 'modified', not the 'standard specification'. In other words, if you've modified your car in any way, then you have to tell them, for example if you've installed two wipers instead of one, and not when you change the standard specification.

When you install a dash cam (hard wire it), do you need to tell the insurance company that you've done so?

The same applies to the alarm sound - if that option is available and can be switched off by Toyota, then it's not a modification,but merely a convenience. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, edinburgh_lad said:

The wording is 'modified', not the 'standard specification'. In other words, if you've modified your car in any way, then you have to tell them, for example if you've installed two wipers instead of one, and not when you change the standard specification.

When you install a dash cam (hard wire it), do you need to tell the insurance company that you've done so?

The same applies to the alarm sound - if that option is available and can be switched off by Toyota, then it's not a modification,but merely a convenience. 

 

 

 

You are using words to mean what you want them to mean Mr Humpty Dumpty.

Do as you wish at your own peril. The wording of your insurance contract is for you to observe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

EL, I agree with John about the question of modification versus changing specification.  Regarding switching something off and not telling the insurance company, I am with you.  My car has a space saver wheel.  I do not believe it is in the standard specification but it is a dealer modification, as if the Dashcam.  While I agreed to the Dashcam I did not request the space saver.  Do I tell my insurers (every year) that my dealer modified my car?

If I chipped the engine to improve performance; if I fitted wide wheels; if I changed the steering wheel for a boy racer's yes.

If is changed the wheels down to 16 inch or up to 18 inch - both company spec but for a different variation on the model, maybe.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership