Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open door warning sound

edinburgh_lad

Hi All, is there a way of temporarily switching off the rather annoying open-door warning sound on the Toyota Yaris 1.5 (2018)? Thank you. 

2 hours ago, edinburgh_lad said:

Hi All, is there a way of temporarily switching off the rather annoying open-door warning sound on the Toyota Yaris 1.5 (2018)? Thank you. 

Wojtek,     Why on Earth would any sensible person wish to disable a safety device  ?

• Like 1

I don’t know why.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinburgh_lad said:

Buy Toyota techstream online, ebays and alike have it for 10-15GBP.  Then install the software on laptop, and use the cable to connect to the car.

There should be an option to disable the alarm there.

Or you can go to Toyota and dish out much more,for the same service (Techstream is the same thing they use).

19 minutes ago, furtula said:

Buy Toyota techstream online, ebays and alike have it for 10-15GBP.  Then install the software on laptop, and use the cable to connect to the car.

Or you can go to Toyota and dish out much more,for the same service (Techstream is the same thing they use).

And don`t forget to inform your insurance company you short sighted individuals.

Guess you could remove the door?

Or, a less extreme remedy, turn off the ignition.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:06 PM, john p williams said:

Wojtek,     Why on Earth would any sensible person wish to disable a safety device  ?

For years/decades there was no beeping when the door was open and while this beeping may well be a *'safety' feature now, I'd hope that anyone getting into a car would make sure that their is properly closed (plus, there's a display showing whether doors are open or closed)

* Hardly a safety feature. In today's society, one has to have a warning for everything. Even my washing machine warns me that it finished a cycle. 

So, while I think having a beeping reminder that your seatbelt is not on is justified, having the damn beeping thing on (non stop!) when I want the door open Is driving my crazy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, john p williams said:

And don`t forget to inform your insurance company you short sighted individuals.

About what? That beeping has been switched off while I keep my door open? Don't be ridiculous - they'll probably think that you've lost your mind or something. 

2 hours ago, Mikw said:

Guess you could remove the door?

Or, a less extreme remedy, turn off the ignition.

Thank you for the very useful advice - never thought about that at all.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, furtula said:

Cheers! 

If it's any help, on the last Toyota I owned (12 plate Avensis) you could reduce the volume of the door open warning sound, but couldn't disable it (using a copy of techstream).

edit... HERE'S a thread with screenshots of techstream's options

Most (all?) of the software configurable features on the car are shown as examples on the 'Carista' phone app website, to show off the abilities of their app.

They don't show any options relating to your requirement, so I think that is fairly unlikely you can do this via Techstream.  It seems that the larger, newer and more expensive the car is, the more it can be adapted.  

This link is from their site:-

https://caristaapp.com/vehicles/toyota/yaris/3rd-gen

Go to 'Customizations', and the 'See Sample Customizations', to see what they show.

(Note: There is a slider bar that is barely visible, on the right hand of the list.)

9 hours ago, edinburgh_lad said:

About what? That beeping has been switched off while I keep my door open? Don't be ridiculous - they'll probably think that you've lost your mind or something. 

You are changing the standard specification of the vehicle my friend. Insurance Company needs to be informed of such changes.

Edinburgh Lad, I can't believe the nonsense your post has generated.  I agree it is a complete PITA. If I want the door open and radio on the noise is intrusive.  Why would I want the door open and radio on? 

Perhaps I want to clean the door surround.  Perhaps I want to have the door open and stretch my legs while sitting down.  Perhaps my wife popped back the the house and left her door open.  Perhaps I want the door open..... 

As for telling the insurance company, the OP said TEMPORARILY. It might be a hidden option. Do you tell your insurance company if you had Android Auto installed?  Now that could be a far more dangerous distraction than not having the door alarm temporarily switched off. 

Rant over

• Like 2

OK simple answer

It's the Key warning sound - Open door - warning sound - Press the door switch (on the B Pillar) and release - Enjoy the silence

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

OK simple answer

It's the Key warning sound - Open door - warning sound - Press the door switch (on the B Pillar) - Enjoy the silence

And when you release the switch? 

It stays off - unless you have the headlights on manual - just flick them to off

I hate that damn thing too.  In my view anyone who thinks having their peace (and anyone else's nearby) disturbed by that racket deserves to be shut in a room with it until they come to understand just how annoying it is!  It's not a 'safety device', it is simply telling you that you may be about to exit the car and leave your keys in the ignition.  It should be a selectable option for people who can't remember that they have left the key in the ignition.  Personally I would get rid of the seat belt alarm too.  How about that for shockingly decadent behaviour eh?  😜 

I'm going to try Flash's great tip, if it works it will be bliss.  I often like to listen to the radio as I clean the inside.

• Like 2

There is another option.....................

Turn the ignition off before opening the door

9 hours ago, john p williams said:

You are changing the standard specification of the vehicle my friend. Insurance Company needs to be informed of such changes.

I recently replaced my Toyota Wiper Blades with Bosch branded items. Should I inform my insurer? 😉

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

OK simple answer

It's the Key warning sound - Open door - warning sound - Press the door switch (on the B Pillar) and release - Enjoy the silence

Just tried on ours and it won't shut up whatever combination of lights and door switch pressing I use.   As soon as I let go, it starts up again. ☹️  Is there a another trick I'm missing?  

Tintaglia, it worked for me - flat Battery 🙂

No, I am with you, if the power is on the sound is there.

23 hours ago, john p williams said:

The wording is 'modified', not the 'standard specification'. In other words, if you've modified your car in any way, then you have to tell them, for example if you've installed two wipers instead of one, and not when you change the standard specification.

When you install a dash cam (hard wire it), do you need to tell the insurance company that you've done so?

The same applies to the alarm sound - if that option is available and can be switched off by Toyota, then it's not a modification,but merely a convenience. 

9 minutes ago, edinburgh_lad said:

The wording is 'modified', not the 'standard specification'. In other words, if you've modified your car in any way, then you have to tell them, for example if you've installed two wipers instead of one, and not when you change the standard specification.

When you install a dash cam (hard wire it), do you need to tell the insurance company that you've done so?

The same applies to the alarm sound - if that option is available and can be switched off by Toyota, then it's not a modification,but merely a convenience. 

You are using words to mean what you want them to mean Mr Humpty Dumpty.

Do as you wish at your own peril. The wording of your insurance contract is for you to observe.

EL, I agree with John about the question of modification versus changing specification.  Regarding switching something off and not telling the insurance company, I am with you.  My car has a space saver wheel.  I do not believe it is in the standard specification but it is a dealer modification, as if the Dashcam.  While I agreed to the Dashcam I did not request the space saver.  Do I tell my insurers (every year) that my dealer modified my car?

If I chipped the engine to improve performance; if I fitted wide wheels; if I changed the steering wheel for a boy racer's yes.

If is changed the wheels down to 16 inch or up to 18 inch - both company spec but for a different variation on the model, maybe.

• Like 1