Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open door warning sound

edinburgh_lad

On 4/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, edinburgh_lad said:

Hi All, is there a way of temporarily switching off the rather annoying open-door warning sound on the Toyota Yaris 1.5 (2018)? Thank you. 

Does it do this even when you turn off the lights and take the key out?

On 4/7/2021 at 8:39 PM, Tigit said:

Does it do this even when you turn off the lights and take the key out?

No, this 'warning' is only to tell you that you have left your keys in the ignition in case you have forgotten.  I have no problem with genuine warnings as long as they are brief and quiet, even if repeated if you don't comply.   I will know by that time that I have left the key in the ignition, or forgotten to put my seat seat belt on, no need to bash me over the head with it!   I'm hoping for sanity that Flash is going to explain the B-pillar trick a bit more.

• Like 1

To put this to bed, when one takes out or renews insurance, you agree with the insurance company that either the car is standard specification or has modifications. Depending on the change, the insurer will either just make note of the change or may charge an additional premium, and the changes should only need to be declared once whilst you're with that insurer.

Unless changes have been noted, in the event of an insurance claim, the insurer will get the car repaired to the standard spec for that trim level (eg Design, Excel, etc). So if there are any undeclared additions made to standard spec of the vehicle, you risk those not being included as part of the insurance repair. An obvious example would be alloys fitted instead of standard steel wheels - if the modification hasn't been declared, and a wheel needs replacing, the replacement may well be a steel wheel.

For example, when we purchased our Hyundai last year, the following were added by the dealer as part of our order: bodyside mouldings, footwell lighting, and rear bumper protector - which were permanent changes. The insurer just made a note of the changes, and we incurred no additional premium.

As regards features that may be turned on or off, such as the seatbelt alarm or the 'keys in the ignition' warning, these aren't strictly speaking a modification, as they are a customisable feature. However, in the case of something that is a legal requirement (eg seatbelt alarm) that has been turned off, some dealers may turn these back on again when servicing the car, and I would suggest when the car goes for resale, the selling dealer will re-enable the feature.

As regards recalls, when doing recall work to a vehicle, if the recalled part has been modified, the recall will just provide the standard part. An example is the recent recall for the rear side windows of the first generation Aygo. Some owners had applied window tinting film to their windows, and when the recall work was done, the replacements were fitted as they came - without window tinting film.

Wiper Blades are a serviceable item so where blades are replaced by a different type or make, that's not a modification.

Can we please move on.

• Like 1

Just in case this thread gets closed, for my part, I want to make it quite clear that I couldn't care less about what insurance companies think.  My particular beef is the same as the original poster, which was a simple question about unnecessary beeps.  

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Is it possible to simply identify the relevant fuse and remove it?

I looked in the fuse assembly but I can't identify the correct fuse.  Any clues, please?

I had a car in USA with the same annoying feature but in that case the chime unit was easily removed. 

JohnG                Sydney

On 4/4/2021 at 10:18 PM, Mikw said:

Guess you could remove the door?

Or, a less extreme remedy, turn off the ignition.

Don’t open the door 🤔

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Mod edit.

Sometimes the rear hatch needs to be properly tied down when the load inside prevents the door from being closed all the way. If this is done securely it isn’t a safety issue however the sensor will beep continuously while you drive in this situation. Mod edit. There should be some sort of way to override the sensor if you know the rear door will not be completely closed in the situation. 

3 hours ago, JMerlitz said:

Mod edit.

Sometimes the rear hatch needs to be properly tied down when the load inside prevents the door from being closed all the way. If this is done securely it isn’t a safety issue however the sensor will beep continuously while you drive in this situation. Mod edit.There should be some sort of way to override the sensor if you know the rear door will not be completely closed in the situation. 

Gee, inferring people are ***** is a bit rude, especially in a user’s first post.

Perhaps I could say the same about people who don’t know an easy work-around to stop a warning beep from an open rear hatch, but instead I’ll offer a handy hint which has worked in every car I’ve owned to date in which I’ve had cause to travel with said rear hatch open - 
Use a screwdriver to close the latch, thus the car thinks the boot is closed and the noise stops.  When returning the boot hatch to it’s normal state, remember to 'open' the hatch to return the lock to it’s normal position.

Hope this helps 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For a number of years having a door open warning system has been a legal requirement on cars sold within the EU, which is presumably why such warnings cannot easily be disabled.

Just to clear something up, all 4 doors on my Corolla have identical door open sensors which comply with the legislation Frosty mentions. 

However the driver's door also has a chime.  The chime is what annoys many of us. There are several instances where it is annoying. 

One in particular is when sitting in the car at the shops I want to open the door wide for ventilation while listening to the radio. 

I can open any door except the driver's. What sort of safety feature is that? 

36 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

However the driver's door also has a chime.  The chime is what annoys many of us. There are several instances where it is annoying. 

One in particular is when sitting in the car at the shops I want to open the door wide for ventilation while listening to the radio. 

I can open any door except the driver's. What sort of safety feature is that? 

The audible warning on the driver's door isn't a safety feature. It is a reminder that the ignition is activated either by the fob being in the car or the key being in the ignition, whilst the door is open and is meant to reduce instances of theft.

For example in 2013 Ford had to recall some models in the US as the audible warning wasn't installed on those with keyless start.

Frosty, thank you.  I can confirm that that feature does not work. 

I contrived to park and leave the car, in Ready mode, having completely ignored the chime 😎

If the door is chiming because it's open, just prod the black rubber mushroom thing on the B-pillar, that will shut it up!

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

If the door is chiming because it's open, just prod the black rubber mushroom thing on the B-pillar, that will shut it up!

I have seen that advice before but as soon as I release it it stops. 

• 4 weeks later...

I do a Dukes Of Hazard on my car it looks cool and zero door chimes 😉 

• Haha 2

On 8/12/2022 at 11:13 PM, Derek.w said:

Just open the windows insted of the door or doors.

Tried that yesterday.  In 30 degrees C heat nothing replaces open doors.  If I ever get my Techstream to work I will try and see if there is a chance that it can be silenced that way.  I believe there is no documented way to do it using Techstream but if it's like the VWs sometimes hidden tricks can be found with patience.  No good trying removing fuses because it is not fused separately so you lose other things.