Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic converter theft

Brendan2

19 minutes ago, penguins29 said:

The whole catalytic converter theft issue is something that has me on the fence about purchasing a Prius.

I am OFF the fence and running away from it already! 🤣 

I myself am looking at the Auris 1.2t at the mo...

I noticed there is no reference to TOC on that Toyota blog ref 'cats'

So added a reply with this thread link on it

Let's, see:

01. If the blog mod will moderate my reply

02. If not, then we may see an influx of new TOC members 😉

16 minutes ago, penguins29 said:

Car manufacturers have also taken steps to protect catalytic converters from theft. Honda, for example, has fitted Accord and Jazz models from 2008 onwards with a tray under the car to make it harder for thieves to get at the catalytic converter.

For these models, Honda have done no more than Toyota. The cat protection is a tray under the car to deter thieves, which is essentially what the Catloc is.

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For these models, Honda have done no more than Toyota. The cat protection is a tray under the car to deter thieves, which is essentially what the Catloc is.

I thought Jazz 2008 onwards, the 'cats' are in the engine bay? 🤔 

Update:

Ah, from 2015...

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2019/09/23/huge-rise-in-theft-of-catalytic-converters-from-cars

Was looking forward to get a ct200 or an auris hybrid this year, but will stay off until this situation is no longer an issue. 

I need a car which is fuel efficiency so diesel is the alternative, but the diesel needs to probably be euro 6 emission to be ok and meet many cities from charging extra for going into them. 

9 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

TOC doesn't have any connection with Toyota, so there is no requirement for Toyota to include reference to TOC in published comments.

1 minute ago, snowBALLs said:

Was looking forward to get a ct200 or an auris hybrid this year, but will stay off until this situation is no longer an issue. 

I need a car which is fuel efficiency so diesel is the alternative, but the diesel needs to probably be euro 6 emission to be ok and meet many cities from charging extra for going into them. 

Not viable for me to go electric so have to keep current Yaris hybrid, which is a good car but just need a little bigger for travel around the country when I do trips to Cornwell, Wales, lake District, Dorset etc. 

Smaller petrol turbo engines in bigger car maybe, Frosty?

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

TOC doesn't have any connection with Toyota, so there is no requirement for Toyota to include reference to TOC in published comments.

I meant from owner replies 😉

3 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

Smaller petrol turbo engines in bigger car maybe, Frosty?

Still not efficient like a hybrid or a diesel. 

1 minute ago, snowBALLs said:

Still not efficient like a hybrid or a diesel. 

How efficient you want (figures please)? 🤔 

As you know, I am looking for a new car myself! 😅 

PS: The Yaris Hybrid bi-tone looks really nice! 

52 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

60+mpg, so a turbo petrol auto cannot get that I don't think. 

You want official or real life? 🤣 

The Auris 1.2t CVT is official : 61mpg + £20 tax

Skoda 1.0 Petrol DSG:

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-02-46-27.png

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-03-08-78.png

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-03-46-65.png

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-04-00-70.png

5 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

You want official or real life? 🤣 

The Auris 1.2t CVT is official : 61mpg + £20 tax

Skoda 1.0 Petrol DSG:

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-02-46-27.png

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-03-08-78.png

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-03-46-65.png

Screenshot_2020-02-10-12-04-00-70.png

I think real life will be around 45-50mpg. 

I do like the bmw 1 series coupe 2.0 diesel auto 2009-2014, and don't mind some compromise for power and drive and so a bit less mpg, but they are just euro 5 emissions. 

18 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

I think real life will be around 45-50mpg. 

I do like the bmw 1 series coupe 2.0 diesel auto 2009-2014, and don't mind some compromise for power and drive and so a bit less mpg, but they are just euro 5 emissions. 

Don't think!

Check it out with some websites which give u some real-life figures!

Nothing wrong with Euro5 if pre-sep2015 (unless u venture into London)??? 🤔

But which fun turbo diesel can do 60+mpg in real-life?

1 hour ago, Wayne2015 said:

Nothing wrong with Euro5 if pre-sep2015 (unless u venture into London)???

.. or Birmingham after 1st July, which is when the Clean Air Zone starts. 

Leeds Clean Air Zone to follow.

9 hours ago, penguins29 said:

So Toyota have not even bothered to hide the catalytic converter or conceal/protect it as standard even for newer models.

This is what I thought.

Shame on them.

Mick.

I don't blame Toyota. They seem to have done the right thing in offering to supply/fit a plate at cost price.

Maybe its not that simple/practical to just move the cat converter to some other place.

You could put the blame to the government of the day for all the cuts to policing and local authorities.

Or you could say it society itself where badness is deemed acceptable.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

So added a reply with this thread link on it

Let's, see:

01. If the blog mod will moderate my reply

02. If not, then we may see an influx of new TOC members 😉

Update:

Its on the Toyota Blog now 👍 

Screenshot_20200211-060008.png

• Like 3

Toyota definitely did not do anything with the new Corolla or ch-r moving the cat at different location, this is almost impossible. The cat has a purpose and so has a space in engine bay, it is not a plastic box that can be moved from one place to the other. They have to modify the whole exhaust system, that will cost them millions, taking into account how many cars they produce daily around the globe,  it is not working like that. Tomorrow may be shortage of thin metal and thieves will start removing the doors, bonnet or fenders, once they been stimulated to do so by the metal traders. Change in law, not car design is needed. Dealer sales people are talking non sense just to get a car sold to you, they have targets to reach, understand that but they are not making a favour either to buyer or themselves. Just wonder what would have happened to the seller when a brand new Toyota hybrid gets its cat stolen few days after delivery, lol not good for everyone is it ? They better offer a cat plate before The car is sold and delivered as an extra precaution. 

• Like 3

I agree with much of what Tony said in previous post.              
“Change in law, not car design is needed”.  I say a change in attitude to taking what is not yours is needed.              
Agree Toyota better off fitting a protective device before being sold, better fitted at production point. A cost involved though. Would the buyer chose to pay extra for a protection against stealing device or prefer to pay extra for a few shiny accessories option? 
It’s governments, or departments of, that legislated for catalytic converters must be fitted, and it’s for governments job to put into being laws to protect law abiding citizens possessions and to punish those citizens that do not want to respect the laws.

• Like 4

So, out of 4 cars in the report mentioned by Wayne, one was an unnamed Honda model, one from a Volvo, and two from Honda CR-V.  As far is I know non of those are Hybrid.

• Like 1