Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic converter theft

Brendan2

Posting here for general awareness. There’s more mention of this on the other non-Prius forums.

My 2016 Gen 4 went in for its annual routine service & MOT today at a Toyota dealership in North London. The garage has just called me to recommended fitting a catlock because of the number of thefts experienced. Quoted £250.

It was classified as an ‘advisory’ item (not urgent).

Obviously a continuing issue without much solution...

£250 is the set Toyota price, and that is subsidised by Toyota I understand.

Just had a cat loc plate fitted yesterday to my Gen4 Prius, bought off fleabay from a garage in Mitcham and fitted by my local garage. Cost me £55 inc delivery, plus £15 fitting. 3mm plate which is thick compared to some others in the market.

• Like 1

Many thanks!

Probably an old one, but you are truly a catlover!

Can I trouble you to share the details of the order, please? Any particular specifications that are important to look for?

9 hours ago, GreenJuice said:

Many thanks!

Probably an old one, but you are truly a catlover!

Can I trouble you to share the details of the order, please? Any particular specifications that are important to look for?

Actually you the first to relate it to cats on cars, well done, I never thought of it.                                                                                  

Over a few months now I been taking an interest in protecting my two cars. Not heard of any problems in my area, but some may have missed the press, or attacks could come in th future. So I been frequenting eBay. Cat protection plates for Gen4 are different to Gen3, so dont be fooled to get a Gen3, they are more commonly advertised, but they dont fit.   A lot of cat plates are 1.5 or 2mm thick and they look a bit tinny.  I sourced one in London and I live 180 miles away and didnt feel like taking a drive to look, 360 mile return. Ikept looking, but that one always seemed to be the only 3mm plate being advertised. So contacted them by eBay email, they seemed ok (can always be deceived over emails)m so I took a chance.  The garage is in Mitcham (maybe near you), so go on eBay, search for :Toyota Prius Gen4 2017 cat convertor plate"  (I put 2017 cause Gen3 finished during 016 and Gen 4 started in 2016, srtill could end up looking at a Gen 3 style and think it would fit - it wont). You will recognise it (see photo below) its just an oblong sheet with holes. Was doing them for £50 plua £10 delivery (its heavy, solid, and will not bernd under normal andling), but he has done 20% off, and 10% off, and invites offers, so make an offer, especially if he not doing one.  Find a local garage, there are photos of fitted on ebat advert, if you want ask seller to do a video for you showing how fitted (he uses Whatsapp to send it out), show that your garage, but it can be fitted without video.

P1010069.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you very much. This is useful and much appreciated [emoji3]

• 1 month later...

Quote from the link.

They are made up of an array of valuable materials including palladium, rhodium and platinum - and criminal gangs are well aware of this small fortune stored beneath your vehicle. 

Typical sensationalism reporting. What "small fortune" stored beneath a Prius? How much do Toyota pay for the cats?  Definitely not a small fortune!

I'm not saying that this crime isn't abhorrent and someone is making a profit from the crime.

It should be stopped immediately by design at the build stage of a car.  I reckon there should be a recall on cars with cats so the manufacturer sorts it out.  It's their bad design that's letting the criminals run rife.

Mick.

53 minutes ago, Mick F said:

I reckon there should be a recall on cars with cats so the manufacturer sorts it out.  It's their bad design that's letting the criminals run rife.

No different really to cars with keyless entry systems which can easily have their signals captured and the car stolen, Fiestas and Corsas which can have their front panels dismantled and stolen (wings, bonnet, bumper, front valance, lights, etc), and so on. Recalls are for safety issues rather than poor security.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

................... Recalls are for safety issues rather than poor security.

............ and that is morally wrong IMHO.

I wouldn't buy a Prius, not for safety issues, but for being easily robbed of the cat.  People shouldn't buy any Prius cars - be they brand new or secondhand - until Toyota sort it out.

Vote with your wallet.

Mick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Which is your opinion and fine, but not everyone is in agreement. Also the same issue applies to Audi, Mercedes, Honda, etc, etc, which all have models affected by cat theft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mick F said:

............ and that is morally wrong IMHO.

I wouldn't buy a Prius, not for safety issues, but for being easily robbed of the cat.  People shouldn't buy any Prius cars - be they brand new or secondhand - until Toyota sort it out.

Vote with your wallet.

Mick.

Toyota are a major employer in Derbyshire. A few well placed words from Toyota to their local politician might be listened to. Yes there are things which Toyota could do to change the design, but it would be cheaper for them and their end users if they could persuade the law makers to tighten up on existing rules relating to the origins of scrap.

• Sad 1

Think the main issue is that, for stolen cats which are resold in the UK, the Local Authorities, who are supposed to enforce current legislation on scrap metals, aren't managing the scrap dealers and the recording of where they are buying scrap from, effectively.

With reductions in Government grants to Local Authorities and emergency services, they have other, more important priorities.

However a lot of stolen cats are illegally exported so the above is only a partial answer.

• Like 1

I will never blame Toyota for been at fault, tomorrow thieves will target something else , perhaps batteries on Ev’s or who knows. Authorities obviously can do more to stop these people, proper sentences, border checks on all freight especially the white vans from Eastern Europe. In Bulgaria there are adverts for buying imported catalytic converters on Facebook with pictures of exhaust and good money promised to be paid., this where the chain needs to be cut. Thieves are earning a good money out of that. 

• Like 3

Having been involved with a charity supporting Gambia, we can load a 40ft container with donated stuff ........ wheelchairs, schools desks, toys, furniture, clothing, electrical goods .......... we've even been donated a Transit van. This is all loaded into the container, transported by road and shipped off from Southampton.  I personally have been involved with two such containers.

https://keen4gambia.uk

As far as the shipping company are concerned, there could be anything in there. It would be easy to put a few dozen catalytic converters in.  No-one would know.

Mick.

• Sad 1

The problem should not fall to Toyota, Honda, Audi nor any manufacturer. The thieves will look for any easy pick, if not Cats it will be something else. The problem is humans. The greediness of “I want that and I will have it”. Of course that thought may be fed by virtue they cannot get a job, which then falls on governments to encourage investments. It’s not an easy fix, the solution is not as easy to do as it is to say. I don’t blame Toyota, and I ain’t going to sell my wonderful Prius either. Someone suggested dealers fir catloc and tilt alarms and factor the cost into the selling price. Customer still pays. Whilst I don’t have a tilt alarm I have fitted a catloc plate for a fraction of Toyotas price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if we did have tilt alarms on our cars I doubt any body would heed the alarms.

Folk have viewed CAT thieves in action but are far to afraid to do anything. When the police arrive on the scene if at all; the CAT thieves have gone. If I recall correctly 13 cars in a High Wycombe car park were robbed of CATS. No thieves caught. Any CATLOC would not deter determined thieves.

They should make the sale of second hand cats illegal, full stop. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just came back from a short essential trip to London and what I spotted there: around Wembley area a Prius Gen 2 was driving without catalytic converter, seems like just been targeted as the driver looked very irritated, what a sad times we all live in, unbelievable while pandemic these thieves are not staying home but helping themselves more than ever. 😡🤭😶

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, kithmo said:

They should make the sale of second hand cats illegal, full stop. 

The problem is enforcement. Current legislation requires scrap metal dealers to be registered, details on scrap they buy to be recorded, and for these records to be inspected. Local authorities are supposed to enforce this legislation, and a lot don't due to budget constraints, etc.  If the sale of second hand cats were to be made illegal, guess who would be required to enforce the legislation? Local authorities.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Also legislation doesn’t apply worldwide.  There's nothing to stop stolen cats being shipped overseas.  Marked or otherwise. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Also legislation doesn’t apply worldwide.  There's nothing to stop stolen cats being shipped overseas.  Marked or otherwise. 

Like I was saying above.  No need to even think about scrapping them in this country.

You can put what you want into a 40ft container and ship it anywhere in the world.  Bury your stolen cats in with other stuff and ship it out.

Mick.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Dear all. 

Catalytic Theives struck my car twice last week. 

I disturbed them on both occasions because we heard them on our driveway. 

They did not get the cat but cut the exhaust so replacement was needed. 

I have since fitted a Catloc system costing £300 fitted. 

It occurred to me afterwards that we lock our bikes n sheds up but never our £20,000 car. 

A simple alarm lock placed on the tyre costing approx £12 can be easilyplaced on the tyre of your car and will go off as the car is jacked up. 

The Theives in my case didn't want confrontation they just wanted to be in nick the cat and be gone to claim their £400. 

Therefore a shrill alarm will attract the attention they don't want. 

I bring this lock alarm with me and place it on the tyre everywhere I go now. 

I hope this helps. 

Last point if you have a prius in your drive 

And you suddenly hear the cutting saw go through your exhaust you will have approx 30 seconds to react so therefore you need a plan should this happen to you. 

I now have a tin of paint handy which I will pour over the screen of the Theives car. 

The paint will make the Theives car easy to spot for the police and if poured over the screen difficult to drive 

No car to escape in means no tools for the next job. 

I also have my pick axe handle for self defense if they are angry about you putting paint on their car. 

I really want to stop these little cherubs getting away with this crime which is now at epidemic proportions. 

Good luck everyone

• Like 1

Pleased you stopped them from stealing the cat. I would also use the pick axe handle to defend myself but be prepared to get arrested if you have to use it. Always keep you and your family safe. You never know what the thieves are capable of.

• Like 1

Thank you for this advice. It therefore seems that the Gen4 Prius is also a target as much as the earlier versions. Does anyone know if there are later models which are less at risk?