Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery problems.

Michael 400

Morning everybody,may i ask if anyone has had Battery problems on their 86.After standing for sometime with the vehicle not being used the Battery would be flat.Surely this should not happen as the alternator should charge the Battery.Any help would be welcome.

Michael, you said it yourself, if it has been standing unused the Battery would be flat. If you can start the engine then the alternator will charge the engine. 

Is there something you have missed out? 

• 2 weeks later...

its a common issue with the GT86. Toyota will replace it under warranty but from some reports i have read is that they only replace it with another of the same and the issue will persist.

I am a mechanic and i replaced my defective Battery with a different brand and is the biggest that will fit in the tray. I left my car standing outdoors in the very cold months for six weeks and it started no problem.

Michael, since when to when has the car been standing. Generally speaking cars don’t like being stood still, and batteries in general do not like cold weather. That applies to any Battery, even little AA torch batteries.

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 2:20 PM, Catlover said:

Michael, since when to when has the car been standing. Generally speaking cars don’t like being stood still, and batteries in general do not like cold weather. That applies to any battery, even little AA torch batteries.

That is correct but mine went flat after being stood for 1 week unused. I am a mechanic for a living so understand these things. We have some of our vehicles stood outside for a month in the cold weather and start without issue. I just replaced my GT86 Battery with a different brand and the biggest i could get to fit in the tray and the problem went away.

• 8 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 2:20 PM, Catlover said:

That applies to any battery, even little AA torch batteries.

Offtopic, but if you place flat AA type batteries in the airing cupboard they are usually rejuvenated, I wouldn’t put them in anything expensive, but ok for a torch.

• Like 1