Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's it for? Big Hook

Roy124

In my Corolla in the boot is a spare wheel and two polystyrene packs that hold jack, Handle, Tow hook and a slot for the wheel nut lock.  Also in there, but no stowage, is a bar, about 15 inches long with a hook at each end.  One hook has a circular profile like the bar, the other has the hook flattened to a blade.  Any ideas what it is for?

This one circled? If so it's the jack handle

corolla-jack.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, that's it, thank you.  Not what I expected.  One car had a handle like the old starter handle where you could turn the crank with two hands.  I am wondering whether I should learn how to do it or just rely on call out.  At my age I think getting someone else to do it would be easier if not quicker.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Yes, that's it, thank you.  Not what I expected.  One car had a handle like the old starter handle where you could turn the crank with two hands.  I am wondering whether I should learn how to do it or just rely on call out.  At my age I think getting someone else to do it would be easier if not quicker.

Definitely, I had used that last year in most unfriendly circumstances and is pain in the..., thankfully not often used. 

FF52A4F0-D064-47CF-877E-FAE2E749FB73.jpeg

If it's like the Honda system, there will be a hole in the handle of the wheel brace and that links to the other bar to make a winding crank handle.

RAB, correct but it is nowhere near as efficient as a bent crank handle" _n_"

• Like 1

I don't think I'd ever attempt to change a wheel these days (assuming the car even had a spare) unless I was absolutely desperate.

I do lots of motorway driving and not only is the hard shoulder incredibly dangerous but it's quite possible for a car to be blown off a small jack by a passing lorry, high winds, etc. 

• Like 1

I did a wheel change 2 years ago on my Merc but it was on my daughter's drive.  I also remove the wheels about once a year for a deep clean but then I use a trolley jack.  I need to find the safe points for a trolley jack on my Corolla.