Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent power steering issue

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All,

I understand that I'm beginning to have a few issues with my Aygo 2008 recently, yes she's coming up to 13yrs old, with only 69k on the clock, but I dont want to give up on her just yet, she's costing me but she's too cute to give up on.

I've noticed a recent issue, happens every odd day, whereby the steering suddenly becomes very heavy, only for a few seconds for a few turns say when I'm parking and then it functions again.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what may cause this?

I assume it has electronic power steering? I dint think I see a power steering reservoir? The Battery is fairly new, Bosch s4. 

Please help

Power steering adjusts based on speed. Slower you go, lighter it gets. Maybe just try reseting the car, by disconnecting the Battery for 10 minutes.

I had mine die, and i had to drive the car to the shop, it was so heavy, the wheel so rough and you could feel everything.

I have driven plenty of cars without power steering, which never had it, but this was a whole new thing, felt like driving a tank, so if it actually failed, you would feel it.

The steering is indeed powered by an electric motor and controlled via an ECU. These power steering electric motors can draw high amps under certain conditions and a weak Battery or underperforming alternator could starve the motor of the amps it needs. Might be worth checking the Battery and alternator condition first, before diving into the actual steering unit and ECU.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, ill try the reset, followed by maybe locating the fuse for it and cleaning it, followed by checking the Battery (2 months old) and the alternator! And report back!

Hi

Does any body know where the power steering fuse is located on these aygos? Much appreciated if someone could pin point it out for me.

Cheers

You Tube shows it in the engine compartment, no 23, and it’s 50amp in a square box.  Hope that right, I searched for 2008 Aygo power steering fuse.

Also on YouTube, a video replacing a faulty or intermittant relay and ecu. Expensive parts new, and ecu required dash coming out, 3 fixing screws, 2 accessible but there is always one causing a problem. Take a look, if you need that step to take, then maybe the costs of keeping that Aygo on the road maybe too much.

Also a video on YT how to change a clutch.

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

You Tube shows it in the engine compartment, no 23, and it’s 50amp in a square box.  Hope that right, I searched for 2008 Aygo power steering fuse.

Also on YouTube, a video replacing a faulty or intermittant relay and ecu. Expensive parts new, and ecu required dash coming out, 3 fixing screws, 2 accessible but there is always one causing a problem. Take a look, if you need that step to take, then maybe the costs of keeping that Aygo on the road maybe too much.

Also a video on YT how to change a clutch.

Cheers, much appreciated catlover