Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol or hybrid

Belucky22

I am by nature cautious, with a small c.  I wonder what the benefits,disadvantages are of a hybrid engine.  I would appreciate opinions.

• Like 1

Advantage of a hybrid engine - less pollution to the atmosphere as you travel along, more mpg then a petrol car, about same mpg as a diesel car but without the pollution, less vehicle tax, much quieter when in "electric" mode (up to 45% of the time)

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Petrol vs hybrid is similar to Manual vs Automatic, if you about an automatic car Toyota hybrids are the best on the market., they offer best efficiency, reliability, comfort, and environmentally friendly too, less pollution and noise., and btw Toyota hybrids are the only hybrids that makes sense getting one, the others with small exceptions are not a real hybrid and there is no benefit of been hybrids, just a trade names to get sales, a lot of information on the forum and other social media, YouTube, Facebook etc.  👍

Edited by TonyHSD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hybrid for me for all the above reasons. Greener to the environment. Good MPG, Reliability, auto, which I like. Practical for me as have estate. Only negative of a Toyota Hybrid is catalytic converter thefts on Auris, Prius, Rav 4 and now reports on new Corolla 1.8.

I have a 2015 Auris Hybrid estate with my own eBay cat cover. So far, so good, but try not to leave the car for too long in say a Supermarket car park.

I can't think of any other car I would buy apart from Toyota. Was thinking of an Octavia but worried about DSG gearbox and mostly poor spec in my budget. Hybrid was what really swung it for me. Being pre April 2017 £0 road tax too.

James.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a recent convert to Hybrid motoring.  I have a new style Yaris, they're really refined and quiet, cracking economy (often get an indicated 70 plus mpg).

So that's positives taken care of.

Negatives, none so far, but others report 12v Battery problems, and there's also the question of catalytic convertor thefts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Mikw said:

I'm a recent convert to Hybrid motoring.  I have a new style Yaris, they're really refined and quiet, cracking economy (often get an indicated 70 plus mpg).

So that's positives taken care of.

Negatives, none so far, but others report 12v battery problems, and there's also the question of catalytic convertor thefts.

Hi, I am also a fairly recent convert to hybrid motoring and also have a new style Yaris.  A friend of mine who has a 2015 Auris just had his catalytic converter stolen and now I am beginning to worry that mine may be at risk.  I've searched here, there and just about everywhere on the net but cannot find any stories of Yaris's being targeted by thieves.  I may be wrong but I believe it may be due to the fact that the cat in a Yaris is different - according to a picture I saw on eBay of a seller who has listed a second hand cat for a yaris. It appears to be very close to the exhaust manifold from the engine which I guess makes it harder to remove.  However, I contacted my local Toyota dealership to make enquiries and spoke to a very helpful chap in the parts department who told me that there is a Catlock available for the Yaris at a cost of £240 including fitting.  I don't think I'm going to worry about it just yet though until I've heard of any reports of cat thefts from Yaris's.  If anyone out there knows any different I would be interested to hear.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Currently there are both full hybrids and mild hybrids available, and contrary to what was posted earlier, there are other manufacturers who offer full hybrids as well as Toyota. For example Hyundai and Kia.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks everyone.  I appreciate and value your help.  Beats journalists reviews

• Like 1

Hi Joe

All good points made by the hybrid owners.

I have a petrol 1.2t Auris so my findings for my own car are - Reasonably low emissions (£30 per year road fund licence), My average mpg is 51 used in a mixture of road and traffic conditions, it has a full size spare wheel which isn't always included in a hybrid car due to the large and heavy hybrid Battery taking up vehicle space.

The petrol versions are usually less expensive than the hybrid equivalent. I personally find a manual gearbox better for me than an automatic. The hybrid vehicles require a hybrid Battery check every year to maintain the warranty. 

My own car's 5 year warranty is due to expire this year at which point I will service the car myself. Parts are inexpensive and the petrol variant is relatively easy to work on. 

If I was doing a lot of miles per year I would consider the hybrid or even a diesel engine. For me, the petrol car is perfect for around town, B roads or motorway and gives good performance and economy. 

Regards

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HS78 said:

The petrol versions are usually less expensive than the hybrid equivalent. I personally find a manual gearbox better for me than an automatic. The hybrid vehicles require a hybrid battery check every year to maintain the warranty. 

What the hybrid warranty actually means is:- when the standard warranty on the hybrid Battery expires, an annual hybrid Battery Heath check (included in the annual/10,000 mile vehicle service) extends the hybrid Battery warranty by one year. This continues up to total 15 year from new.  Repeat... that is a 15 year warranty on the hybrid battery. 
What other motor manufacturer has confidence to put a up to 15 year warranty on a major component in their vehicle.???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok. 
hybrid vs petrol

hybrid takes some pressure off for petrol - say 50% of the engine drive

hybrid reduces brake pad wear with electronic braking

put your foot down and electric assist gives a little punch on pull away 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Catlover said:

This continues up to total 15 year from new.  Repeat... that is a 15 year warranty on the hybrid battery. 

Not sure why this statement would need to be repeated but for anyone that missed it first time . . 

A 15 year warranty is great! - Provided you meet all of the terms and conditions as set out in the Toyota extended warranty. Cars used as a taxi do not qualify unfortunately. Neither will any car that misses, or is late being serviced potentially at the discretion of Toyota. 

It also means you are tied into paying a dealership 15 years worth of servicing to be eligible for the warranty. For the majority of Toyota owners, I'm sure they will be happy with this arrangement. 

For myself I feel fortunate that I can service my own cars for less than £100 per year and no hybrid health check.

• Like 2

Many thanks again for further informative posts.  It is invaluable to learn from people with experience.  

The hybrid Battery extended warranty is different to the extended warranty that one can purchase. The extended hybrid Battery warranty is provided as part of Toyota's hybrid electric service which should be every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

As regards taxis, these can still benefit from the hybrid Battery extended warranty, but only for an additional five extensions. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HS78 said:

Not sure why this statement would need to be repeated but for anyone that missed it first time . . 

A 15 year warranty is great! - Provided you meet all of the terms and conditions as set out in the Toyota extended warranty. Cars used as a taxi do not qualify unfortunately. Neither will any car that misses, or is late being serviced potentially at the discretion of Toyota. 

It also means you are tied into paying a dealership 15 years worth of servicing to be eligible for the warranty. For the majority of Toyota owners, I'm sure they will be happy with this arrangement. 

For myself I feel fortunate that I can service my own cars for less than £100 per year and no hybrid health check.

Why would you not like to keep your car in warranty?

1 hour ago, HS78 said:

It also means you are tied into paying a dealership 15 years worth of servicing

Once the car is past five years of age, one can take advantage of Toyota's 5+ Club, which gives,a 20% reduction on service and MOT costs.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

Why would you not like to keep your car in warranty?

My Toyota 5 year warranty expires soon. As mentioned, I have the 1.2T petrol engine so no hybrid Battery fitted. Also I am a qualified technician and in the unlikely event a problem occurs, I am fortunate to be able to remedy myself. 

Good luck with your future car choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards taxis, these can still benefit from the hybrid battery extended warranty, but only for an additional five extensions. 

Thanks for posting this. 

The Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms state something different for taxis - Extended Cover will not be provided for: e) vehicles which are not technically fault free. and f) vehicles which are professionally used as taxis and already have had five Hybrid Battery Health Checks.

The Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover T&C's document can be viewed here if interested - 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HS78 said:

vehicles which are professionally used as taxis and already have had five Hybrid Battery Health Checks.

The hybrid Battery extended warranty can only come into effect once the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty has expired.

The above quote is the same as what I previously stated - ie after the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty has expired, taxis having 5 hybrid electric services (which now incorporate the hybrid health check) will have had the hybrid Battery extended warranty extended 5 times.

I'm quite aware of the terms and conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.  Appreciate your best wishes HS.

The cost of a replacement Battery might be around £1500? It's got a good chance of lasting 15 years but obviously could fail earlier. If the owner prefers to do their own service, they will save a good proportion of the cost of a new Battery over that time and know that the car has been serviced properly. So it's not illogical to stay away from the dealer. I realise that it's not a simple decision and definitely most people don't want to get involved. Myself I might end up having dealer service and do my own extra maintenance in between, but this is a wee bit obsessive I know!

• Like 1

Thanks.  That's a useful bit of extra information.  Hopefully now you can visit showrooms I can go and have test drives.  Wouldn't buy without one.

Good fuel economy and for city driving.

They are too expensive to buy. Battery holds about 15 years and about 250k km in ideal conditions. Probably does not like cold temperatures. Not suitable for someone who makes more km and keeps a vehicle for a longer period. There is also high voltage, so not much DIY stuff you can do if you are not familiar with electricity.

Cheers Tigit.  I do tend to keep cars for a while and mechanically useless.

worth having a Toyota to benefit from this forum 😊

20 hours ago, Tigit said:

Good fuel economy and for city driving.

They are too expensive to buy. Battery holds about 15 years and about 250k km in ideal conditions. Probably does not like cold temperatures. Not suitable for someone who makes more km and keeps a vehicle for a longer period. There is also high voltage, so not much DIY stuff you can do if you are not familiar with electricity.

Hi, I think hybrids usually suits people who does a lots of miles , town or motorway since they are way more efficient and the difference in price pays itself quickly with less money spent on fuel, plus they last longer than only petrol cars, engine no need to work as hard as in petrol cars since electric motors helps a lot, the high voltage system is simple as can be and does not require any specific maintenance, if anything goes wrong there are parts widely available and diy videos on YouTube, there are also garages that knows these cars well, hybrid Battery can lasts a long time, all depends how the car been taken care of, the transmission is very simple and probably the most reliable on the market, better than any other automatic or manual. The hybrids are super easy to drive and manoeuvre, quiet and smart with rear cameras, test drive highly recommended, when you park the car in difficult spots you will be like a pro driver coming from a long wheel base S-class. , just try that and compare with a vag tdi manual, omg tractor experience. 😂👍🚘
Now for the cold you are actually right , no Battery likes cold and perhaps the petrol only car will be more suitable for some remote and very cold areas like Alaska or Siberia where temperatures are really low most of the year and there won’t be any benefit from the hybrid system. , since the petrol engine will need to run non stop to provide heat to the cabin and be ready to propel the car. 😱👌🥶

• Like 1