Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol or hybrid

Belucky22

I am grateful for all the points made which are all valid considerations.  It will come down to constant question of availability and costs.  It will at least be a Toyota. 😊

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Catlover said:

Mooly, I would love to know where you can invest £4700 and get 4%-5% return in investment GUARANTEED.

I like the way you wrote GUARANTEED. Nothing is guaranteed but a balanced investment portfolio will/should/and does deliver those kind of returns over the long term... and more.

Scroll down this page which was pretty much first out of the bag and have a look at the dividend yields.

Which investment trusts pay the best dividends? | This is Money

Yes it was from 2019 but is pretty representative of what is achievable. Last year saw dividends down although still surprisingly high for some funds, plus it was a good time to invest. It all adds up 🙂 

You would also expect some capital growth as well as just receiving income from the investments.

For anyone who worries about the last penny of purchase or running costs, the cheapest way to keep costs down is to buy a known reliable car nearly new and keep it for the maximum economical time which in the case of a hybrid Toyota would be 10 to 15 years,  there's many nearly 20 year old ones out there. Also look at what the taxi drivers go for.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the engine is twice as thermally efficient than a conventional engine due to the Atkinson cycle. The whole thing is a work of genius! 

• Like 3

On 4/17/2021 at 4:13 PM, TonyHSD said:

price pays itself quickly with less money spent on fuel

It depends on fuel prices, fuel economy, difference in price of a hybrid vs. non hybrid

On 4/25/2021 at 6:31 AM, Tigit said:

It depends on fuel prices, fuel economy, difference in price of a hybrid vs. non hybrid

Hybrid will win every time as its design means that the ICE isn’t used for a percentage of the drive  

Depends what your annual mileage is, how long you're keeping the car and where the break even point is compared to the difference in price paid for the car - especially if bought new.

Same as for petrol vs diesel.

The average annual mileage in the UK is now around 7,000 miles per annum.

For us, as we usually change our main car every 3-4 years, do less than the average annual mileage, and buy new, the hybrid will cost us more overall compared to petrol.

Our next car will probably be a hybrid - whether full or mild - purely because that is the way the market is heading, and new hybrids will be available til 2035.

• Like 1

Sorry for more follow up but I tend to overthink.

Researching cvt I find repeated reference to noise levels.  I know it's subjective but is the hybrid cvt quieter ?  Unfortunately no hills within miles of dealer to test it driving up a hill.

Advice appreciated.  Having made some expensive past mistakes always hesitant.

7 minutes ago, Belucky22 said:

Researching cvt I find repeated reference to noise levels.  I know it's subjective but is the hybrid cvt quieter ?  Unfortunately no hills within miles of dealer to test it driving up a hill.

Depends really. The newer models are quieter than the older ones i think. The newer cvt's are only noisy under harsh acceleration. Driven smoothly they're really quiet.  If you push hard they hold at high revs.

• Thanks 1

No problems with the eCVT of Toyota hybrids. Only in certain situations you may hear a whining like noises but these are usually only when climbing uphill and you hold the revs at certain speeds, to reduce this all you need is to push the accelerator more and the car will overcome that and will pull nicer and quieter. Other time when might notice is when hybrid Battery is low and you are accelerating uphill or faster to join the traffic flow, but these are rare occurrences and it’s not that unpleasant, it’s not like typical cvt. , it sounds more like a turbine on aircraft or turbo spinning on high powered cars., these transmission has e motors that spins at speeds of up to 16000 rpm and more. When driving in town the car mostly feels like full electric vehicle and when cruising on motorways feels like an older type automatic with torque converter.
My recommendation to all future owners of Toyota hybrids:  

There is no better car for every day driving than these ones, they are also fun to drive but they are no sporty by all means, if you after fast acceleration, gear shift shocks, farts, exhaust noise and engine sounds better look elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, both.  Tony your detailed reply is highly valued.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Belucky22 said:

The Auris hybrid can also be a bit noisy under hard acceleration, such as when joining a motorway. Once it's up to speed, it's fine.

It doesn't bother me but a lot of people hate it. Part of that is that they're used to the sound of a manual transmission, where the revs rise and fall as you change up through the gears. In a CVT, the revs rise and stay high until they've pulled you up to the speed you want to get to; they'll then drop off unless you keep your foot down. In my experience, it'll cruise perfectly fine at motorway speeds with no more noise than with a manual transmission.

Some newer CVTs are programmed to simulate the behaviour of a manual transmission. This seems utterly pointless to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links