Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris Hybrid

Bernard Foy

Picked up my new Yaris Hybrid today and drove 130 miles home. A vast improvement in the driving experience in comparison with the previous model, but it didn’t seem as quiet on the road as the previous model, otherwise a great wee car 🚘🚘🚗

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

but it didn’t seem as quiet on the road as the previous model

That could simply be down to tyres fitted Bernard?

It will sound different as it's a 3 cylinder rather than a 4 - everything needs to bed in as well

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

That could simply be down to tyres fitted Bernard?

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It will sound different as it's a 3 cylinder rather than a 4 - everything needs to bed in as well

I would think you guys are correct on both observations 👍

I would imagine that you have had plenty of time to know all characteristics of your old Yaris.  It would be very interesting to see how the economy has improved in 'real life'  Even when it's still new.  If you'd be so kind as to post the figures on here from time to time.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:15 PM, Gerg said:

I would imagine that you have had plenty of time to know all characteristics of your old Yaris.  It would be very interesting to see how the economy has improved in 'real life'  Even when it's still new.  If you'd be so kind as to post the figures on here from time to time.

Gerg I most definitely will as I always have kept a meticulous record of mpg on my previous model. On every fill of the tank, I don’t take much notice of what the car computer says. Maybe I’m old school but it’s guaranteed accurate full tank to full tank.👍🚗

• Like 1

By my calculations the trip/onboard fuel information is within <4%

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Good to know that thanks Bob ☘️. Old habits are hard to break or maybe my middle name is Thomas of the doubting variety 😂🤣.

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

Thanks for that!

I had to go to hosptial this morning for some tests, It's a round trip of 14 miles (all urban driving) and the trip computer recorded 79 mpg for the trip, so it's fantastically economically for around town driving.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mikw said:

Thanks for that!

I had to go to hosptial this morning for some tests, It's a round trip of 14 miles (all urban driving) and the trip computer recorded 79 mpg for the trip, so it's fantastically economically for around town driving.

Wow, that’s great mpg even allowing for a small % inaccuracy. Hope you’re tests went well for you. I’m going to hospital on Thursday 340 miles round trip, so the car is on it’s first full tank of petrol it will be interesting to see the mpg driving on mixture of A roads and motorways and city driving.🚘

• Like 1

Hope the tests go well Bernard, and I look forward to hearing the mpg for the journey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Wow, that’s great mpg even allowing for a small % inaccuracy. Hope you’re tests went well for you. I’m going to hospital on Thursday 340 miles round trip, so the car is on it’s first full tank of petrol it will be interesting to see the mpg driving on mixture of A roads and motorways and city driving.🚘

Please do report back! As a prospective future new Yaris hybrid owner who occasionally has to do long motorway journeys I'm always interested to see how people get on with motorway driving and fuel economy.

You'll be surprised at how many cars pass through a PDI with the wrong tyre pressures too.  Have you checked the pressures when cold?

28 minutes ago, catnash said:

You'll be surprised at how many cars pass through a PDI with the wrong tyre pressures too.  Have you checked the pressures when cold?

I concur, my new Launch Edition Hybrid Yaris came with tyre pressures of 45psi all round !!🤪

33 minutes ago, AlfK said:

I concur, my new Launch Edition Hybrid Yaris came with tyre pressures of 45psi all round !!🤪

I wonder that’s almost double of what has to be . 

Yep! should have been 29psi.......which is what I have set them up to be 🤪(was initially rather harsh ride, but now a little softer but still not as good as my previous 2x 2012 & 2017 Yaris 😥 Guess also something to do with the 17" wheels - I hadn't noticed any discernible difference in ride to my previous cars on the 16" Design model I test drove prior to ordering the Launch Edition.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, catnash said:

I haven’t Martyn, but I will check and reset tyre pressures as desired on the door pillar. 16”inch Continental tyres pressure recommended are 33psi front and 32psi rear, which is exactly the same as on the 2019 model. That’s on my to do list tomorrow before setting sail on the long journey. I might try adding a few pictures. Would clicking on the paper clip bottom left allow me to do that ??

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Tests went well thanks, just routine really. Let us know how you get on with your (much longer) drive to the hospital and back.

6 hours ago, AlfK said:

Yep! should have been 29psi.......which is what I have set them up to be 🤪(was initially rather harsh ride, but now a little softer but still not as good as my previous 2x 2012 & 2017 Yaris 😥 Guess also something to do with the 17" wheels - I hadn't noticed any discernible difference in ride to my previous cars on the 16" Design model I test drove prior to ordering the Launch Edition.

According to may reviews cars with the 17 inch wheels also come with a sportier suspension set up.

16 hours ago, Mikw said:

According to may reviews cars with the 17 inch wheels also come with a sportier suspension set up.

Really? That's the first I have heard of that?

(forget that... I've just read the WhatCar review...)

• Like 1

I hadn't realised that factor... No wonder it corners and handles better than my last one! 🤣😂🤣

Hi to all those members following this thread. Before starting out on the hospital journey 323 miles round trip, I checked the tyre pressures and adjusted them to the specified lbs psi, 33 front and 32psi rear. Actually they were almost perfect from the dealership. The journey was mostly on single carriagway roads through towns and villages and city driving, containing plenty of hilly roads, and only about 60 miles of it was on motorways. I didn’t drive particularly with economy in mind, just sticking mostly to the speed limits most of the time, so pretty normal driving. Long story short the car returned 71.777 miles per gallon. So I’m fairly well pleased with that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi to all those members following this thread. Before starting out on the hospital journey 323 miles round trip, I checked the tyre pressures and adjusted them to the specified lbs psi, 33 front and 32psi rear. Actually they were almost perfect from the dealership. The journey was mostly on single carriagway roads through towns and villages and city driving, containing plenty of hilly roads, and only about 60 miles of it was on motorways. I didn’t drive particularly with economy in mind, just sticking mostly to the speed limits most of the time, so pretty normal driving. Long story short the car returned 71.777 miles per gallon. So I’m fairly well pleased with that.

Sorry folks I forgot to add that the weather was fine but cold, with temperatures ranging from 3Cel at the start of the journey climbing to 13Cel which we know that would have a detrimental affect on mpg.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Does it handle okay on the motorway?

10 hours ago, Vinylseats said:

Does it handle okay on the motorway?

Yes I set up the adaptive cruise control at 65mph and it’s a very relaxing drive adapting easily to slower traffic. The car basically drives itself, lane assist keeps you in your lane and I even took my hands off the wheel and after a couple of seconds I got a red hands flashing warning to return my hands on the wheel 😂🤚.

• Like 1