Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris Hybrid

Bernard Foy

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Yes I set up the adaptive cruise control at 65mph and it’s a very relaxing drive adapting easily to slower traffic. The car basically drives itself, lane assist keeps you in your lane and I even took my hands off the wheel and after a couple of seconds I got a red hands flashing warning to return my hands on the wheel 😂🤚.

That reflects my own motorway driving experience also. The handling of the uprated suspension on mine makes for a very relaxing and assured drive. I had a test drive over a year ago in one of the earlier GRMN Yaris sport models and my new one feels the same as that on the road.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vinylseats said:

Does it handle okay on the motorway?

Yes. very well in fact. Just set the cruise control, put your hands on the wheel and that's it really.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What is the cost of new tyres as they are 16 or 17" rims ?

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

What is the cost of new tyres as they are 16 or 17" rims ?

I don’t know Bob, the tyres that came with the car on 16” rims are Continentals, and I have no notion of changing them for three reasons. 1: I only do about 3500 miles per year, 2: As almost all my journeys are short so road noise wouldn’t be a big issue. 3: If I was constantly on the road driving to make a living then it would be a different story.

• Like 1

I wonder what your views are on what defines a New car. I've just bought a
"New" Yaris.
Just after getting it home I had a flat 12v Battery. This was sorted out and now it's fine.
When I looked at the Dashcam videos, it first went into storage at the dealers, just
over two years ago. Which goes some way to explaining the Battery problem
So my 2021 model is actually a late 2018 model Is this the norm I wonder, to keep
delivery times down ?  Or maybe they got as many in as possible to pre-empt any
problems due to Brexit  ?

3 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:
"New" Yaris.
Just after getting it home I had a flat 12v battery. This was sorted out and now it's fine.
When I looked at the dashcam videos, it first went into storage at the dealers, just
over two years ago. Which goes some way to explaining the battery problem
So my 2021 model is actually a late 2018 model Is this the norm I wonder, to keep

Is it the new shape or old shape?

Frosty will probably be able to tell us for sure, but I think it’s the old generation 3 model. I don’t think they were even manufacturing the new generation 4 models in 2018. The new model didn’t come on the market until 2020. I am open to correction if anyone knows otherwise.

"New" Yaris.
Just after getting it home I had a flat 12v battery. This was sorted out and now it's fine.
When I looked at the dashcam videos, it first went into storage at the dealers, just

Hadrian 1, according to my research TMMF (Toyota Motor Manufacturing France) first started production of the new generation 4 Yaris Hybrid on July 6th 2020. If your car is first registered in the year 2021 it should be regarded as a “New Car” but not the latest model. That’s the only answer I’m willing to commit to 🚘🚗😊

I've just had a look on Auto Trader and there are a few previous model Yaris's registered in 2021 - including one old style "new" 21 reg, despite the fact the newest model has been on sale for a year. This always happens with the changeover of models, with the leftover old stock being sold off at cheaper prices, which is what I imagine the example in question is. It may indeed have sat around for a while unregistered, having been built a year or two ago!

22 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:
"New" Yaris.

I doubt it is 2018 it's more than likely the dash cam has defaulted to when it was made not the car or was not setup, PM me the Vin and i should be able to tell you the build date

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:52 PM, Mikw said:

Is it the new shape or old shape?

The new shape

• Like 1

Production didn't start till 07/2020 on the gen4 yaris (MXPH11) they are usually built to order with a lead time of 4-8 weeks (Just in time production)

On 4/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, Hadrian1 said:
"New" Yaris.

I've just had the "EC Certificate of Conformity" through the post, and it confirms that our Yaris was built  on 26th November 2020.

As suggested the dash cam probably wasn't set up.

I have also found out how to set the cruise control, which activates the automatic braking.

Only one thing left to discover.  When I press the eco mode button, I get the message "Eco mode unavailable" as well as

"Speed Range Exceeded" can anyone explain please ?, this is when the hybrid Battery is showing about a 60% charge.

I've just had the "EC Certificate of Conformity" through the post, and it confirms that our Yaris was built  on 26th November 2020.

As suggested the dash cam probably wasn't set up.

I have also found out how to set the cruise control, which activates the automatic braking.

Only one thing left to discover.  When I press the eco mode button, I get the message "Eco mode unavailable" as well as

"Speed Range Exceeded" can anyone explain please ?, this is when the hybrid battery is showing about a 60% charge.

If you have read both my and Frosty’s you would have seen that the 4th generation Yaris Hybrid production started in 6th July 2020. Your middle name is not Thomas of the doubting variety hopefully 😂🤣. Stay safe Alan 🚗

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

If you have read both my and Frosty’s you would have seen that the 4th generation Yaris Hybrid production started in 6th July 2020. Your middle name is not Thomas of the doubting variety hopefully 😂🤣. Stay safe Alan 🚗

Yes I had seen both posts  😁🤪

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am a fit 73 year old lady driver who has finally been persuaded to change to automatic driving and possibly electric or hybrid. I am very interested in the Yaris as all of my journeys are urban.

My neighbours had a previous version  of the Yaris hybrid and they were far from impressed. They expected to save money by having a hybrid but they said they hardly saved anything.

The write-ups for the newer Yaris give a high MPG. Can these figures really be true?

Have any of you owners of the newer models come across any pitfalls I should consider?

Thank you for your time. KInd regards  Denise

Good things: Oh god yes, the car is like powered by magic or something; It's the first car I've owned or even seen that gets better MPG than my old diesel Mk1 Yaris in the real world, and I am not an especially efficient or economical driver (The car likes to give you a 'score' for acceleration, coasting and braking when you turn it off, and my score is often 1/5/1 :laugh: )

When I put a bit more effort in last summer, I managed to get it into the low 80's (tank average) which made me feel very smug.

The car is a massive improvement on the Mk3 - The Mk3 you kinda had to drive it efficiently to get good mpg; This you just drive normally and it just gives good mpg. If you drive efficiently you get stupid mpgs :laugh: 

If you like driving, the car is also a joy to drive which was very unexpected for a Toyota and especially a Yaris :laugh: 

It's so quick and responsive, and very nippy, and has vastly improved handling than the older models. It's nearly as good as a Fiesta, which are typically the benchmark for decent handling in cars normal people can afford. When you get bored the auto-cruise is like having KITT take over driving when you're on a long boring A-road or motorway (Or even when stuck in traffic!).

Bad things: The first is the cost; From an economic point of view it makes no sense as it's so expensive you won't make the money back unless you keep it for ages (Although if fuel keeps going up the way it is, that might be sooner than I thought! :eek: ) - I got an Excel, fully loaded, and it cost more than a mid-spec Corolla! (People think I was crazy, but I just really wanted that head-up display...)

The other thing is the seating - The Mk1 and Mk2 had very high seating positions and were incredibly comfortable and easy to get in and out of - You just sort of stepped into them. The Mk4 is much much lower and you almost fall into the driver's seat now. I know my slightly arthritic mum finds it harder to get in and out of than my previous cars, so you may want to try that aspect out at the dealer before putting any money down.

I also have to use a wadded up towel that I use to support my lower back as I was literally getting out of the car half-crippled after even a medium-length journey. It seems to be a very individual thing tho' as a lot of other members find the seats very comfortable. It probably doesn't help that the Excel has, for some reason, 'Sports Seats' (In a Yaris? A *Hybrid* Yaris?? How does that make any sense Toyota?!)

Another thing is it is a very naggy car - Go too near a line or the edge of the road and it beeps at you, go over what it thinks the speed limit is (Correct ~70% of the time...) and it beeps at you, but thankfully that can be turned off, and if driving in a congested city in narrow streets it often thinks you're going to crash into another car and will also beep at you (If you are actually about to crash into another car it will slam the brakes on tho'! Scary and a bit annoying but has saved me from a couple minor accidents which is why I can't bring myself to turn it off, even tho' it's annoying as heck sometimes!). If you're easily annoyed, it's not a good choice, although all new cars seem to be like this due to new car rules so maybe there's not much choice...

It does have a lot of flaws, another being the awful rear and side visibility (Partly why I wanted all-around sensors too!), but they all come with a reverse camera as standard which helps, but the car really is a joy to be in and just bumble about in traffic or hurl down the motorway with.

I would definitely recommend!

The Jazz Hybrid is the only other vehicle that comes close to this in terms of economy - It's also worth a look; Doesn't drive as nice, and I really didn't like the dash in that, but the interior utility is muuch better (More close-able storage and I love the trick seats in the back of the Jazz; Wish the Yaris Mk4 had them, esp. as my old Mk1 and Mk2 had similar!), and I think the seats are more comfortable.

Also, if you are really only going to use it for urban use, and you have a garage/driveway, an EV might be worth looking at too. They tend to be too big with not enough range for my use case, but if you can charge one at home, for short-range use you cannot beat them (And it's really nice being able to wake up with a 'full tank' every day!). The up-front cost does tend to be a bit eye-watering tho'., even more so than the Yaris!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The other thing is the seating - The Mk1 and Mk2 had very high seating positions and were incredibly comfortable and easy to get in and out of - You just sort of stepped into them. The Mk4 is much much lower and you almost fall into the driver's seat now. I know my slightly arthritic mum finds it harder to get in and out of than my previous cars, so you may want to try that aspect out.

I even have a wadded up towel that I use to support my lower back as I was literally getting out of the car half-crippled after even a medium-length journey. It seems to be a very individual thing tho' as a lot of other members find the seats very comfortable. It probably doesn't help that the Excel has, for some reason, 'Sports Seats'

I've noticed the same with the seats in the Mk4 also. Found them much lower and uncomfortable compared to the Mk2/3.

• Like 2

Thank you for your valuable input, Cyker and 1.33.

I think all cars have issues but most dont bother me as I only poodle about town to the supermarkets and swimming pool and other leisure activities. Long journeys are taken in hubby's SUV.

However I do have slight mobility problems so there might be an issue with the seats and floor height. I have a VW Up at the moment and sometimes I struggle with getting in and out of the car.

I will certainly pop to the dealer to look at seat heights etc and book a test drive.

My family (who know it all!) insist I go for a lease option. Have any of you gone down that route?

KInd regards, Denise

Yeah, I think that may be a big nail in the coffin for the Mk4 for you as the entry/exit is far more awkward than the Mk1 and Mk2, which were really easy to just slide in to and out of. Even I sometimes have to kinda turn and half-fall out of the car to get out rather than just step out.

I was thinking it might be worth you looking at the Yaris Cross - As much as I hate SUVs and Crossovers. It's very similar to the Yaris, but the seat is higher and more akin to the old models of Yaris. It's only a bit more expensive, really not much difference if you go down a lease/PCP route.

I've always disliked leases as I feel you're paying all that money but get nothing in the end, but I know a lot of people have started doing them as the day to day cost can actually be cheaper. If you intend to keep changing the car after 3 years, or whatever the term is, then it can be worth it, esp. if your lease includes servicing, insurance etc., as it actually works out cheaper, but past that the longer you keep it the less value for money it becomes.

• Like 2

Sorry one more question....does the Yaris Cross have the same set up as the new hybrid and similar MPG

On 4/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, Bernard Foy said:

The car basically drives itself, lane assist keeps you in your lane and I even took my hands off the wheel and after a couple of seconds I got a red hands flashing warning to return my hands on the wheel 😂🤚.

Very true.  I timed the hands off a 14 seconds. 

Problem I find with ACC at 65 indicated, probably 60 true, is truck following on a motorway.  If the truck drops to 59.5 and another truck is following at 59. 8 it thinks it is free to overtake and slot in between you and the car in front. 

We were almost swiped off the road the other day.  Idiot overtook me and cut in behind the van in front. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Denise H said:

Sorry one more question....does the Yaris Cross have the same set up as the new hybrid and similar MPG

What do you mean by set up? 

The Cross has a different dash layout and according to the figures a slightly worse mpg but still in the mid 60s. 

We are switching from  a Corolla with its low seating position to the Yaris Cross with its higher seating for we both have bad backs. 

• Like 1

I have found my answers. Thank you so much for your help and advice. I am off to the Toyota dealer tomorrow☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denise H said:

I have found my answers. Thank you so much for your help and advice. I am off to the Toyota dealer tomorrow☺️

Good luck Denise, be sure to have a test drive in both the Yaris and the Yaris Cross, and ensure that you raise the drivers seat is at it’s highest setting. They’re basically the same car, with the Cross having more boot space and a bit higher off the ground, and little less MPG. Keep us updated on your choice.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links