Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris Hybrid

Bernard Foy

Can any owners of the latest Hybrid model advise of motorway mpg cruising at a steady 70mph? 

If it's flat and on your own, I reckon 75-odd mpg or somewhere thereabouts. I can't say for sure as my one is set to show tank average and there doesn't seem to be a quick way to show current while driving, but I left on 70 after carting friends around, and it was up to 73 by the time I got back after using the auto-cruise set for 70mph.

External factors like inclines, wind, rim size, tyre width, tyre pressures etc. start to make bigger and bigger differences as the mpg climbs tho' so YMMV as they say!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Denise H said:

Thank you for your valuable input, Cyker and 1.33.

I think all cars have issues but most dont bother me as I only poodle about town to the supermarkets and swimming pool and other leisure activities. Long journeys are taken in hubby's SUV.

However I do have slight mobility problems so there might be an issue with the seats and floor height. I have a VW Up at the moment and sometimes I struggle with getting in and out of the car.

I will certainly pop to the dealer to look at seat heights etc and book a test drive.

My family (who know it all!) insist I go for a lease option. Have any of you gone down that route?

KInd regards, Denise

Give it a test drive. I - like you - used to have a VW Up and can't say i've noticed much difference in seat height between the two.

I've had mine since Decenber 2020 and it's been great so far.

Really economonical, even better than the VW Up - and the cruise control makes it a breeze.

If you're only going to use it for around town jouneys the economy will be excellent. It's really good at speed for economy, almost unbelievable around town.

• Like 2

My average mpg has gone up from 60ish to 75ish since change to this zero ethanol Esso high grade.  It’s also significantly reduced engine noise.  One thing I have noticed is no it can advance the timing without risk of knocking, the braking effect in B mode isn’t as pronounced.  

• Like 3

And check your true mph.  As you know the display can over read by up to 10%.

When time on a long journey is of the essence you might want to go a little faster. 

Just think though, on a three hour journey your maximum time saving is 15 minutes 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

And check your true mph.  As you know the display can over read by up to 10%.

When time on a long journey is of the essence you might want to go a little faster. 

Just think though, on a three hour journey your maximum time saving is 15 minutes 😁

Yes, I zero’d the trip mileage for that very reason having just filled the second tank.  👍

• Like 1

Hmm I wonder if I had a back wind or slight decline last time; Was cruising back at 70mph again today and the tank average seemed to drop more, guesstimate the instantaneous was 68-70mpg??

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Hmm I wonder if I had a back wind or slight decline last time; Was cruising back at 70mph again today and the tank average seemed to drop more, guesstimate the instantaneous was 68-70mpg??

It’s cumulative from the last reset so unless you zero’d it on both occasions it would be very unlikely to show the same results.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Not that strange.  I make regular short journeys to the north and back and south and back, the mpg varies between each out and back as there is a definite up and down. 

A similar journey yesterday was 73 out and 68 back.  Clearly the car was warmer on the return journey.  It was 15 miles each way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well gentlemen, time for an update in my quest for a hybrid Yaris new model.

I live in Tunbridge Wells but took the time to drive up to St Albans to test drive the new model with hubby......and were we pleased!!!!!!

I love my VW UP and thought I could not love another car but I am hopelessly in love already. The test drive was superb and I knew within minutes that the car would be making its way to Kent.

I had gone for an Icon but as I was colour specific (red or blue) I had the chance to try a Design with only 6000 on the clock. The price was more than I want to pay but a bit of female haggling brought the price down to an acceptable level.

So after 10am on Saturday....should you be driving round the roads of Kent and see a lady in a new model blue Yaris sporting a huge grin....that will be me!

Happy driving and thanks to all

Kind regards

Denise

• Like 4

Yeah they're fantastic cars to drive :biggrin: 

And a blue one too! That's been one of the most elusive colours to get from the stories I've been hearing from other posts! :laugh: 

(I wanted a blue one but you can't have a blue one and a HUD... and I wanted the HUD more... :cry:)

May you have many happy miles! :thumbsup: 

My blue Yaris hybrid drove home brilliantly to Kent and we got 69mpg even though we were caught in a traffic jam and crawled for three miles.

The grandkids love the sporty spoiler and I think I have gone up in their estimation. Grandma is now super cool

• Like 2

Sorry one last question. My phone and hubby's phone linked via bluetooth. There is no inbuilt satnav. How do we get google maps to link from iPhone to screen.

Probably need to connect your phone via cable to access Carplay

1 hour ago, Denise H said:

My blue Yaris hybrid drove home brilliantly to Kent and we got 69mpg even though we were caught in a traffic jam and crawled for three miles.

The grandkids love the sporty spoiler and I think I have gone up in their estimation. Grandma is now super cool

Nice! :thumbsup:  :laugh: 

• Like 1

I think my Launch Edition is now starting to show signs of being "run-in" as I am now starting to see 65mpg regularly; even on short runs! As many will be aware on here, I don't drive in "grandad mode" either! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Denise, your initial post mentioned poor mpg that your friends stated.  My 2020 Corolla 1.8 is currently averaging 67.  I recently drove with another Corolla with a similar 2021 model.  She is getting less than 60. 

She lives in town; I live 8 miles out. Her driving profile may be quite different from mine.  Her driving style may vary too. 

Let us know what you get. 

• Like 1

Filled up on Thursday morning and have now done 172 miles, averaging 64.3 mpg in a 2.0 C-HR. Of this, 140 miles was done on the motorway. 

milage_consumption.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big_D said:

Filled up on Thursday morning and have now done 172 miles, averaging 64.3 mpg in a 2.0 C-HR. Of this, 140 miles was done on the motorway. 

milage_consumption.jpg

Excellent Bob, what speed do you do on motorway?

I was doing between 70 and 75. Drove from Reading to Bristol and back, so a nice mix of uphill and downhill to recharge the Battery

• Thanks 1

I am taking my Yaris along the M25 and M4 on Monday so it will be interesting to see what mph I get when I am out of Grandma Urban Mode and zooming along at speed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, Denise H said:

I am taking my Yaris along the M25 and M4 on Monday so it will be interesting to see what mph I get when I am out of Grandma Urban Mode and zooming along at speed

You may just get a nice surprise! 😉 

• Like 2

I did get a nice surprise. I average just over 75mpg and this was not taking the dashboard reading.

I converted the litres to gallons and then calculated the mpg. It seems to be driving on air.

We drove at about 75mph on the motorways and the usual speed limit within urban areas.

Hubby is so impressed he is thinking about changing his car.

Might as well...there are no pockets in shrouds!

• Like 5

It's mad isn't it! You don't even have to drive it efficiently to get such mpgs! I'd have to be very well behaved in my old Mk1 diesel to get into the 70's, but with this it's almost effortless! :biggrin: 

And the car isn't slow either! :naughty: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links