Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Fuel Consumptions

GBgraham

Just a thought. I have searched with the above topic title with no avail. I may be asking out of ignorance for what is already out there but how about for a bit of fun, is it possible for a moderator or a member to set up a MPG challenge chart ( apologies I don't have enough tech clout) so members with Hybrids can record their best MPH's and drivers score.

An interesting Idea but you would have to define the parameters.  

On 4/10/2021 at 8:06 PM, Roy124 said:

An interesting Idea but you would have to define the parameters.  

Judging by the response, obviously not enough of an interesting idea . . . . C'est La Vie

A couple of issues are that we have separate forums for the individual models (ie Auris, Yaris, Corolla, Camry, Highlander, Prius, C-HR, Rav4, etc), all of which include hybrid versions, and some owners only visit the forum of their particular model. So the results may not show a broad picture.

At one time we used to have a separate forum for Prius/hybrids. This was OK for a while, but when hybrid versions of different models came out, it did lead to some confusion as to where members should post - ie in the Prius/hybrid club or in the specific model club.

I'm interested! Had a 14 mile round town trip today, 79 mpg indicated. If that's any help

Did 155 miles today on a mixture of roads. A38, into Brum, Kings Heath, back to near Burton on Trent. Return to Kings Heath then Kings Norton. Then M42 back to Near Burton On Trent and Eco drive said 64mpg. On M42 Eco went up to 66mpg at one point. Speed around 30-65mph.

Car 1.8 Auris Hybrid Estate. Most of Journey had 3 adult passengers.

James.👍

Did you know Toyota publish this sort of detail on their website?  The Toyota Hybrid experience | Hybrid Technology | Toyota UK You can find your model then browse for your typical journey profile.  It will then show you all the detail in the same detail as the MyToyota app.  

Your speed 30-60 means nothing without a time.  The app gives you an average speed which is better.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Your speed 30-60 means nothing without a time. 

Yes it does. The speed range given (30-65) is in support of the fuel consumption information, not how quickly the journey has been done. 

I disagree.  I use the A1 to visit my daughter I travel at 70 and off the A1 at 30 or 40.  The journey takes 25 minutes.  My mpg is 64 or 62 and average speed is 32. Average speed tells you I was not doing 70 for most of the journey. 

The different consumption is down hill and up hill. 

Where the journey was mostly motorway the consumption might have been better as driving at constant speed or worse at the higher speed.  I believe the best mpg would be at a steady 56 and average speed near 56.

Average speed is different to what you originally said, which was: "Your speed 30-60 means nothing without a time. " 

Auris hybrid from 2010 average mpg currently is 52mpg mostly motorway journeys and long stay in ready mode for heating purposes., summer time goes up to 60mpg. 

Just to give a couple of MPG examples.

On Monday my garage collected and returned my car.  The results were 49 mpg and 39 mph average. On Tuesday on a similar journey we achieved 62 mpg and 32 mph.

At the higher speed we would have covered 117 miles in 3 hours and used about 2.4 gallons.  At the lower speed we would take about 3 hours 40 minutes and used 1.9 gallons.

Given a gallon cost of £5/g we would have saved £2.50 but taken 40 minutes longer.  Conclusion, drive to get there rather than drive for economy for a long journey but no real gain trying to save a minute or two on a short journey.

• Like 1

Agreed, just drive safely and enjoy the journey. No rush or been too slow, gaining from both never worth the effort. Our cars are efficient enough to worry about that. I am happy with my fuel and service savings per year from driving a Toyota hybrid, for me works the best. Diesel can be more economical but I don’t want to drive or maintain a diesel car. 😊

Tony, on a long journey, average in the order of 50 mph my E220D could be coaxed to return 49 mpg.  On a weight/burn ration that is probably better than the Toyota 1.8 Hybrid.  On other than a long high speed journey the Mercedes was nearer 40 mpg and  average speed around 30 mph - no contest.

nobody runs on a measured container,full to empty,so all figures are estimates,imo. pinch of salt.