Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trackers

frankie406

Do vehicle trackers (the self fit type) into the obd2 port and you self track via the app reduce your insurance?

I just bought one from trutrak on Amazon and very cheap for device then you top up like a mobile phone. It's very accurate and up to date with the tracking information and maps. So just wondering if they do help reduce insurance because its tracked by yourself and not an actual tracking company, although the company do have a service and device that do this and is connected to the police.

Had a play around with mine and its a great device customer service were fast to help with the set up. I had a few of these types of trackers before (Vodafone) which was just 1 of the many useless ones. (I'm not involved with this company) just thought I'd say on here that its a cheap way of tracking your own car.

My Garmin SatNav has a dynamic tracker function but to function as a security device it would have to be live all the time and concealed so that it could not be immediately discovered.  It would also need a backup power supply so that it operated after the car Battery was disconnected.

Your proposal would not appear to allow transmission after the Battery was isolated and would presumably be easy toe detect.  Best hope is it would show where it was disconnected.

My Corolla has a poor man's tracker.  It does not work dynamically but does give a position when the car is stopped.  I don't know how it works and presumably will stop once the Battery is disconnected.  I know I can see where my car is when the garage takes it for servicing and I can see where they have driven.

Any "insurance approved" device needs to be Thatcham certified and fitted by Thatcham approved installer, iirc the device needs to be hard wired and have a backup Battery

While not a security device, dash cam and the built in tracker, can reveal the 'secret life of your car' when you use a meet and greet car park service or it goes goes for a service.  There was a case, many years ago before such devices were common, where a mechanic took a high performance car for a spin and clocked over 100 mph before he was summarily dismissed.

There is a thatcham device they also sell thats hardwired to car. The obd2 device i have I believe has something about the vehicle being towed too. I would need to check it again but I know for sure the one that is hardwired definitely has this function and backup Battery too. Of which I'm going to get for my mazda.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links