Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Red light on dash

Bernard Foy

Just noticed this morning, after I exit and lock the new Yaris Hybrid I see a flashing red light on the left circular dash, it’s a flashing red icon of a car & padlock. Is this normal ??. If not how can I switch it off, ??. Will it drain the 12V Battery flat??. Also immediately after I press the start button I get a brief message ( check the rear seat ). Both disappear once the car starts. Any thoughts & ideas are welcome and will be responded to, thanks.

Bernard, I would guess it is the alarm On warning to would be thieves. 

Regarding your check rear seat, I get some orange warnings too, seat belt has been one, parking assist is another and there is another.  As they go out that suggests a startup fault and reset.  It is of the warning remains that you might have a problem. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Regarding your check rear seat, I get some orange warnings too, seat belt has been one, parking assist is another and there is another.  As they go out that suggests a startup fault and reset.  It is of the warning remains that you might have a problem. 

Thanks Roy, as I only have the two days I may have missed seeing them before. I was hoping that other new model owners would be able to inform me if it is normal or otherwise.🚘🤞

4 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

check the rear seat

That's an odd message, but on some cars I've noticed that some alerts/lights to do with rear seatbelts get activated if a rear door has been opened and shut, even if no-one got in (eg. chucking a coat in the back).

24 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

That's an odd message, but on some cars I've noticed that some alerts/lights to do with rear seatbelts get activated if a rear door has been opened and shut, even if no-one got in (eg. chucking a coat in the back).

Hi Mike that’s what I thought too, so I’m gonna recheck right now if it’s still showing, I will come back and let you know.

re the flashing red car&padlock icon I think the previous poster (Roy124) is correct. I think it’s a deterrent light showing would be thieves that an alarm or immobilizer is on. 

19 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi Mike that’s what I thought too, so I’m gonna recheck right now if it’s still showing, I will come back and let you know.

re the flashing red car&padlock icon I think the previous poster (Roy124) is correct. I think it’s a deterrent light showing would be thieves that an alarm or immobilizer is on. 

Check rear seat message has gone. I was examining the rear seat belts earlier and this may have triggered a message, sat in the back seat (both sides) anyway it’s not there. Cheers 👍

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

This morning I texted the Toyota salesman who sold me the car. Considering it’s Sunday and no way I was expecting a response until tomorrow he has just replied to tell me all is normal. That guy should get a medal for good customer relations 👏👏.

The theft deterrent was missing from the gen 3 yaris (front of the dash by the screen vents on the passenger side) on Jap models but was an option in other markets

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links