Do Not Sell My Personal Information

run a amp power cable from battery threw fire wall

2009joe

hi there i want to run a amp positive and negative cable from the Battery threw the fire wall on a 2014 toyota avensis but i have found  a big rubber grommet at the glove box side but it seems like a big bunch of wires and i dont want to damage it i was wondering dose anyone know whats one is good to go threw i have tried googling online and i have found a few things but pon my car i dont see another rubber plug beside this main big one .i have looked at this diagram i think its for the older toyotas but i can see the rubber grommet on my car any ideas you guys 

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/33a63f92-4487-4a5b-ad09-543b21d819cf/AVENSIS_WGN_THWH 7pole_PZ417-T556B-00 _AIM_002_180-2.pdf

I haven't need those grommets ever, but maybe this helps: https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/33a63f92-4487-4a5b-ad09-543b21d819cf/AVENSIS_WGN_THWH 7pole_PZ417-T556B-00 _AIM_002_180-2.pdf
Picture no. 29 (page 19 of 21)

You can put ground cable everywhere in ground, no need to attach it to batterys ground. Just need to find good spot and make sure it have connection to ground.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 9:42 PM, flash22 said:

thanks so much i will take a look i can only find one funner the one where most of the thick wire loom goes into the fuse box from behind the glove box and it a thick one .il try look and see if there is another grommet there. are there 2 grommet on the right hand side behind the glove box where the fuze box is i onoy can see one 

Hello I'm trying to find a gromit from my firewall.to the engine bay .problem is I can find one but I think by the looks of it has one directly behind my glove box with loads of wires going into it to the fuze box.i Seen you great guys send me tow hitch wiring diagrams but problem is I can't find any other grommets .on my 2014 Toyota avensis .I was wondering would you guys send me pic where to look I have looked everywhere and no luck.i don't want to put a hole threw the main wiring loom incase problems. Later on. On my car I have a big gromit with loads of wires going in threw it and on the left from that bunch of wires is the heater core pipes.plus if anyone knows a handy ground location also around that area I would really love it please 

Where is the amp going ? Any point on the body can be a ground

Can you take a picture with the glove box removed ?

• Like 1

Here is a video that shows how remove glove box: 

After You remove glove box You should be able to see grommets. We gave You the info where to find those grommets in those other topics where You've been asking.. It is just impossible to give any better advices than You already got. And that grounding issue: I already said in other topic that You can put it under every nut/bolt wich haves clear connection to ground (Battery -). If You strip out almost any panel, You probably find some nut or bolt under it.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 11:23 PM, JiiN said:

Here is a video that shows how remove glove box: 

After You remove glove box You should be able to see grommets. We gave You the info where to find those grommets in those other topics where You've been asking.. It is just impossible to give any better advices than You already got. And that grounding issue: I already said in other topic that You can put it under every nut/bolt wich haves clear connection to ground (battery -). If You strip out almost any panel, You probably find some nut or bolt under it.

thanks you guys so much behind my glove box is a fuse box and one big bunch of wires coming in and thats all i see il send some pics i just dont want to put a hole threw the big main bunch of wires coming in as its tight and i dont want to cut any wires in the loom. im going to take another look tomorrow and see il take a few pics and post them on here show you guys whats my one is like.unless there is another one close thats is covered with firewall material.thanks again you guys 

On 4/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, flash22 said:

its a wee PIONEER GM-D1004  i have gought a few harnesses from eBay put them together to make a plug and play harness so not cutting into factory plugsor the pioneer harness .im hoping to screw it in tight into a place in thr dash around the gloverbox area i hope its not that big only for a bit extra sound tbh the factory avensis Speakers and the headunit volume dont go up that high

On 4/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, flash22 said:

Hi there so all.wired up could not find a handy place to run a amp wire from the Battery into fire wall so this is what I did .

1. I looked around to no joy trust me lol.so I tapped into the big thick constant power wire going into my blower motor it's coming direct from the Battery .so this amp is not big so thought ok. I have a 13amp inline fuse from the wire I joined to positive wire at blower motor. Then I grounded the wire somewhere nice and well grounded. So first time taking off my dash apart and radio out well I found out that the bigger block connector it didn't have any amp + or didn't have antenna + either two pins were missing and on the smaller block connected 2 pins were not use there .so I not sure what to connect the amp up to as it needs to know when to turn on.any ideas with these touch 2 headunits .here is some pics 

DO NOT do that it will start a fire as it is not designed to take the load if you are fitting an amp use the correct gauge wire fused within 6-12" of the Battery

15A wire isn't that thick the gland is just beside the fan housing on the firewall

On 4/17/2021 at 7:07 PM, flash22 said:

DO NOT do that it will start a fire as it is not designed to take the load if you are fitting an amp use the correct gauge wire fused within 6-12" of the battery

15A wire isn't that thick the gland is just beside the fan housing on the firewall

hi there sorry i have used 8 gauge wire and well the amp i have is a small class d amp and its got a 15amp fuse built into it.tbh im having trouble finding a gromit that dont have loads of wires going threw it as i dont want to put a hole in the gromit where there are loads of wires coming threw. on my car a 2014 toyota avensis 2.0 d4d i have a fuse bot behing my glove box and i cant find any handy gromits here is a pic of my car .do you think when  my amp is so small would the thick cable that runs the fan not be good enough to join into for the amp 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

On 4/6/2021 at 9:42 PM, flash22 said:

hi there on my car i have a big fuse box behind my glove bod and just left of the fan motor is a big gromit but its got loads of wires going threw there and i dont want to cut any wires if try to squease another wire in threw 😞 i can only seem to find one gromit in there i cant seem to find any others no matter how hard i look 

Have You check'd drivers side if there is any grommets? I dont know is there differences between LHD and RHD firewalls but i have LHD and there is grommet behind my glove box.

• Like 1

It's the same grommet, its split into 2, find it in the engine bay (its well hidden) use a fish rod or a piece of stiff wire bend the end in a loop and tape it up and push it through

or

drill a new hole and use a grommet, once in fill it with a low modulus sealant - a 6 or 8mm hole is all you need

• Like 2

Topics merged.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:47 AM, flash22 said:

It's the same grommet, its split into 2, find it in the engine bay (its well hidden) use a fish rod or a piece of stiff wire bend the end in a loop and tape it up and push it through

or

drill a new hole and use a grommet, once in fill it with a low modulus sealant - a 6 or 8mm hole is all you need

thanks ever so much for getting back to me  so you are saying that one grommet i can see in the glove box behind my fuse box  in my  RHD car is the one and only grommet there is im just afraid of maybe damaging the engine wires coming in as its a pretty thick bunch coming in threw . tbh in my car its kina difficult even to drill a hole as tbh there is no space really the engine compartment is so tight. plus the way my fuse box is behind the glove box there is not much room there either .do you think its bad me getting my power from the fan positive .my amp im using is a small brick amp a class d one 

7 hours ago, 2009joe said:

thanks ever so much for getting back to me  so you are saying that one grommet i can see in the glove box behind my fuse box  in my  RHD car is the one and only grommet there is im just afraid of maybe damaging the engine wires coming in as its a pretty thick bunch coming in threw . tbh in my car its kina difficult even to drill a hole as tbh there is no space really the engine compartment is so tight. plus the way my fuse box is behind the glove box there is not much room there either .do you think its bad me getting my power from the fan positive .my amp im using is a small brick amp a class d one 

YES IT IS BAD!  Positive cable only to a Battery! Do not even think shortcuts with this issue! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JiiN said:

YES IT IS BAD!  Positive cable only to a battery! Do not even think shortcuts with this issue! 

ok thanks have to try find a gromit somewhere in the firewall.is just so tight and i can only see one where its been used by a thick wiring loom goes into the back of my glove boc into the fuse panel in there also 

Try to check drivers side. I bet there is somewhere a grommet to get + cable through firewall. Like I said earlier, in my LHD T27 has nice grommet on cars right side. Couple wires goes through but there is plenty of space even to a bigger wire.

• Like 1

Joe, You are in unknown territory for me. I cannot advise you anymore than plug and play upgrades, like my Bluetooth/USB adapter. The other members are giving good advice. What I can say is, be careful which you are. 

Good luck with the installation.  

• Like 1

It's a 15A feed, so 16/18 AWG so not majorly thick wire

tapping wires with a large load is a very bad idea, Plus a blower motor will generate noise and may cause voltage spikes hence why its on its own circuit

i will see if i can find a routing diagram for the T27

324980942_T27wireroute.thumb.jpg.eedc3997df414ae4a458dc3a15bd7cf6.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Joe, You are in unknown territory for me. I cannot advise you anymore than plug and play upgrades, like my Bluetooth/USB adapter. The other members are giving good advice. What I can say is, be careful which you are. 

Good luck with the installation.  

tbh with the plug and play upgrades i think the stock wires going into the car headunit are really thin in my opinion that amp i put in is supposed to be plug and play also but tbh for saftenyness i want to run a positive from the Battery and threw a 15amp car fuse the amp has a 15amp fuse also so just want for extra support incase. im going to try again see if can get a 8guage  positive wire threw the firewall with a good ground to the car body.i have been playing the amp today and i notice these amps PIONEER GM-D1004 run a bit hot for my liking.maybe thats the way there supposed to run but dont want it to cause a fire in the car 

9 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's a 15A feed, so 16/18 AWG so not majorly thick wire

tapping wires with a large load is a very bad idea, Plus a blower motor will generate noise and may cause voltage spikes hence why its on its own circuit

i will see if i can find a routing diagram for the T27

324980942_T27wireroute.thumb.jpg.eedc3997df414ae4a458dc3a15bd7cf6.jpg

thanks so much i see your wiring diagram there thanks so much it shows the 2 grommet i can see one in the right and well thats a tight one to get any wire threw .plus to be on the safe side iu went for a 8guage wire for the amp.i see the other grommet on the right hand side the drivers side to me and it seems to be my option but as i see in the diagram the wires come out and bend to the right going to the passengers side i tried to look under the bonnet to see where the wires were coming out im half thinking they might be going into the drivers side wheel arch and maybe through another grommet im not sure but i will try see if can run it threw there. plus i wan playing the amp today and i notice it runs hot maybe thats the way it should but its a bit warm for  my liking im paranoid incase it will catch fire :/  thanks so much for the diagram i will look see if i can see another option. i was half thinking of drilling a small hole threw the fire wall but there is no room to get in a drill