Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No "B" setting in 2-litre C-HR

I was in my local dealer today and looked over a new 2.0L C-HR in the showroom.  To my surprise the gear lever did not have the "Brake" option that was on every other hybrid I've driven. (It's very effective on the new Yaris, less so on my Auris.)  I found a salesmen but he didn't know! 

In the car park I was taking to an owner of a 1.8L C-HR but he confessed to only using it in slow-moving traffic.  A more senior sales or service staff member overheard us and revealed that the 2.0L doesn't have the "Brake" option but the 1.8L does .  So how does the 2.0L model maximise energy recovery when braking?

I'm not sure why the 2.0 doesn't have the "Brake" option, but it's probably worth pointing out that the only purpose of B is to give engine braking for example when descending a steep hill where there is a risk of the friction brakes overheating. Far from maximising energy recovery, using B in normal driving actually reduces energy recovery! 

• Like 2

All correct , the 2.0 hybrid doesn’t have B on gear selector however does have steering wheel shifters and when you require to set engine braking you can flip the gear selector to S mode and use - steering wheel shifter to lower gear ratio and add extra regenerative braking, I have never tried myself as I don’t have this car but 2.0 owners can try and share experience, to me sounds more complicated than 1.8 version that works fine. 😂

• Like 2