Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No "B" setting in 2-litre C-HR

BigRedSwitch

I was in my local dealer today and looked over a new 2.0L C-HR in the showroom.  To my surprise the gear lever did not have the "Brake" option that was on every other hybrid I've driven. (It's very effective on the new Yaris, less so on my Auris.)  I found a salesmen but he didn't know! 

In the car park I was taking to an owner of a 1.8L C-HR but he confessed to only using it in slow-moving traffic.  A more senior sales or service staff member overheard us and revealed that the 2.0L doesn't have the "Brake" option but the 1.8L does .  So how does the 2.0L model maximise energy recovery when braking?

I'm not sure why the 2.0 doesn't have the "Brake" option, but it's probably worth pointing out that the only purpose of B is to give engine braking for example when descending a steep hill where there is a risk of the friction brakes overheating. Far from maximising energy recovery, using B in normal driving actually reduces energy recovery! 

• Like 2

All correct , the 2.0 hybrid doesn’t have B on gear selector however does have steering wheel shifters and when you require to set engine braking you can flip the gear selector to S mode and use - steering wheel shifter to lower gear ratio and add extra regenerative braking, I have never tried myself as I don’t have this car but 2.0 owners can try and share experience, to me sounds more complicated than 1.8 version that works fine. 😂

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 9:01 AM, TonyHSD said:

All correct , the 2.0 hybrid doesn’t have B on gear selector however does have steering wheel shifters and when you require to set engine braking you can flip the gear selector to S mode and use - steering wheel shifter to lower gear ratio and add extra regenerative braking, I have never tried myself as I don’t have this car but 2.0 owners can try and share experience, to me sounds more complicated than 1.8 version that works fine. 😂

Just bought a 2021 2.0 C-HR  which should arrive in a couple of weeks and having had a couple of test dives couldn’t find any gear selectors/paddles behind the wheel AFAIK it doesn’t have them. You can manually select any  of 6 gears using the gear leaver in “S” but I’m assuming these are artificial ratios controlled electronically as the CVT doesn’t have 6 gears in the way a traditional auto box does. 

My wife has just got a Lexus UX 2.0 Hybrid and that has not got B mode or any paddles on the steering wheel and i think the UX is the same car as CHR 

47 minutes ago, Mark B59 said:

My wife has just got a Lexus UX 2.0 Hybrid and that has not got B mode or any paddles on the steering wheel and i think the UX is the same car as CHR 

I looked at the UX , I think you only get paddles on the Sport versions 

5 hours ago, AndyRC said:

Just bought a 2021 2.0 C-HR  which should arrive in a couple of weeks and having had a couple of test dives couldn’t find any gear selectors/paddles behind the wheel AFAIK it doesn’t have them. You can manually select any  of 6 gears using the gear leaver in “S” but I’m assuming these are artificial ratios controlled electronically as the CVT doesn’t have 6 gears in the way a traditional auto box does. 

Hi, I was thinking about Corolla at the time was writing my post, pardon me for the mistake if the chr doesn’t have any wheel mounted gear shifters. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, I was thinking about Corolla at the time was writing my post, pardon me for the mistake if the chr doesn’t have any wheel mounted gear shifters. 

Wheel mounted paddles would have been “nice to have” but not essential. Hopefully we will have our car within the next two weeks. 

• Like 1