Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris D4D Cold starting problem?

jazzyman

I am having trouble when starting my Auris D4D 2 Litre when it's cold engine fires for a few second and then stops and gives out a puff of white smoke through the exhaust. After researching this problem it appears that the svc valve is the most likely culprit.  What I have noticed is that the dashboard glow plug light only comes on for about half a second, is this normal?

The upgraded svc valve together with the software update is very expensive and I am not sure if this is worth the outlay because the car is so old. I have been offered a new svc valve although it is the old type the same type that is currently fitted. If I go ahead with replacing the valve with the older version svc valve is it just a straight swap?

• Like 1

That glowplug light does look to be not staying on long enough. With a warm/hot engine that would be normal. With a cold engine and cold ambient temp. I would expect the glowplugs to remain active longer?

Glow plug/s may need replacing ?? 

Summer time..glow plug light will still pop up on the dash for 2 seconds or so..not half a second

Thanks. What component controls the glow plug timing?

Small relay switch..small black plastic plug/box...you can see these on eBay ? (auris glow plug timer)

• Like 1

The glow plugs never really needed long before the engine would crank regardless of weather - it just doesn't get cold enough in the UK. 

I had keyless start in my car, and I definitely did not have to declutch, press start, wait two seconds with clutch still held down before the engine begins to crank in the summer. Watching your video, the glow plugs seem fine and pretty regular to me. 

Even in the coldest of winters (minus 5) - the wait time between pressing start and the engine cranking was not long. If it was - it would be very noticeable for me as I have to keep the clutch pedal pressed as i had keyless entry

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 7:45 PM, jazzyman said:

I am having trouble when starting my Auris D4D 2 Litre when it's cold engine fires for a few second and then stops and gives out a puff of white smoke through the exhaust. After researching this problem it appears that the svc valve is the most likely culprit.  What I have noticed is that the dashboard glow plug light only comes on for about half a second, is this normal?

The upgraded svc valve together with the software update is very expensive and I am not sure if this is worth the outlay because the car is so old. I have been offered a new svc valve although it is the old type the same type that is currently fitted. If I go ahead with replacing the valve with the older version svc valve is it just a straight swap?

Did you get the problem sorted? I’ve got the same issue, today I took the scv out and put it back in and it didn’t cut out again, the revs were more stable in idle even when I had the heating on full. I’m going to see if the pressure control valve is working tomorrow if I can get the damn thing off. Hopefully a better start from cold tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Also the glow plugs led on the dash doesn’t even stay on as long as yours did. Any further advice on that would be great! 

Starting doesn't seem so much of a problem lately maybe it's due to the warmer weather?  What I did do was I used some diesel additive "Diesel Rhino", since then things have improved, so not sure if it is the additive or the warmer weather.  I was told that modern diesel has a lot less lubrication because of the reduction in sulphur and this can cause problems with these svc valves.

The short glow light period seems a common complaint on the D4D and more than likely is to do with ambient temperature.

• Thanks 1

Just taking the scv off and letting out the contents massively changed the running