Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.3 diy towbar and electrics question

thetyrant

Hi apologies if ive missed a previous topic but after searching i cant find info i need so thought a new one is needed and may help others in future.

Ok in process of fitting an Anker branded towbar to my 2009 Rav4 2.2 d4d XTR,  i fitted one of these to my previous mk1 Rav many years ago and found them sturdy and well built for a decent price,  bar is all bolted on with no problems (despite the vague instructions!)  and im just about to start on the wiring, which is a splice in kit same i used previous setup with no issue.

Anyhows on investigating the rear light clusters and it looks like the running lights and brake lights are LED on this truck and not conventional bulbs like the indicators etc,  has anyone fitted a splice kit directly into these ?  or am i going to need to get some relays to use LED feed as trigger etc ?

Thanks in advance

I

I would use one of these.  For £2.50 you can't go wrong - I think someone misplaced the decimal point!

1 hour ago, IanML said:

I would use one of these.  For £2.50 you can't go wrong - I think someone misplaced the decimal point!

Thanks i was wondering about something similar which is what the towbar people supply with kits for some other cars that do need them, when i fitted a towbar to my mates Skoda Yeti it came with a similar box of tricks but they are more to do with the bulb monitoring i believe though, the place that make my bar say its not needed on the Rav4.3 but im cautious about just splicing into the LED light feed,  hoping someone else might of done it with success... or not so at least i know before i start :)

If i did got for a relay box i would prefer to pay a little more as for £2.50 as i wouldnt expect the quality to be very good even for a cheap chinese one, of course like you say it could be listed at wrong price.

Spoke to the supplier again just now they said the bypass relay is not needed on the mk3 and just splice in, will see how it goes and report back!

1 hour ago, thetyrant said:

If i did got for a relay box i would prefer to pay a little more as for £2.50 as i wouldnt expect the quality to be very good even for a cheap chinese one, of course like you say it could be listed at wrong price.

It usually sells for £19-20.  I have one and it's not shoddy at all.

2 minutes ago, IanML said:

It usually sells for £19-20.  I have one and it's not shoddy at all.

Yes i saw others selling for around that so a listing error maybe, good to hear it works well though and are you using it on a Rav ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links