Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPMS

Auris2010

I broke one of the valve of my tyre in which the TPMS is connected. How much is it to replace and is it straight forward changing? in which  I can just go to a tyre garage and have them fitted or does it need to be programmed by Toyota?

the valve broke as I replaced the rubber cap with metal one in which it got rusted and got stuck. Stupidity pays a price I think. 

• Thanks 1

A tyre fitter damaged the thread on the valve of my Auris TPMS  . It wasn't possible to replace just the valve as it is built into the TPMS unit .

A complete TPMS unit was needed and the programming had to be done by a Toyota dealer as only they have the software .

42 minutes ago, st901 said:

A tyre fitter damaged the thread on the valve of my Auris TPMS  . It wasn't possible to replace just the valve as it is built into the TPMS unit .

A complete TPMS unit was needed and the programming had to be done by a Toyota dealer as only they have the software .

Interesting, who paid for the repairs , you or the Tyre fitters ?  if the latter was it a battle to get them to pay ?

How much was the new TPMS valve and how much do Toyota charge for the re-programming ?

Was quoted by local Toyota dealer it will cost 92£ per TPMs plus labour

17 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Interesting, who paid for the repairs , you or the Tyre fitters ?  if the latter was it a battle to get them to pay ?

How much was the new TPMS valve and how much do Toyota charge for the re-programming ?

The tyre fiters company paid for the repair and reprogramming but failed to tell me the thread had been damaged at the time .

I only noticed a week or so later when trying to screw on my tyre pump hose .

tv2.JPG

tv1.JPG

That  looks terrible for a one year old car, how did they become so corroded ??

Even if the dust cap was missing would not expect it all to look so rusted ... wonder if you have cause for a warranty claim if the other 3 valves are equally corroded ?

Edit - ah,  delete the above, sorry missed that you are showing your Auris valves, not your new Corolla

Im sure the valve can be change for the TPMS but Toyota wants to sell the whole parts for profit

17 minutes ago, Auris2010 said:

Im sure the valve can be change for the TPMS but Toyota wants to sell the whole parts for profit

This is the damaged one from my 2016 Auris , it does look as if the valve and TPMS part are one piece .

Worth noting that the CR2032 Battery is non replaceable so that when these are low on charge the complete unit will need replacing and reprogramming .

At £92 each + whatever your Toyota dealer charges to reprogram will be expensive for a complete set .

Also beware that if you don't have a spare tyre and use the repair can the TPMS unit will require replacement ( see Corrolla owners handbook )

at1.JPG

at2.JPG

I'd not really thought about this before and am alarmed at the cost implications. I knew that tyre "repair" aerosols would write them off but assumed that barring mechanical damage and corrosion they would otherwise last indefinitely, with just the Battery and the inner valve core replaced when the tyre was changed. Why can't you replace the Battery? The shelf life of an unused CR2032 is only 8-10 years. How long does the Battery last in service?

24 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

How long does the battery last in service?

I understand it to be around 5 years.  I have an idea that if there is no wheel movement detected then they may consume less power, so they would last longer with less mileage.

The button cell powering this is potted in an epoxy compound - I have an old one in my garage!  The potting compound is not meant to ever come off.

I have no experience of them, but I believe there are aftermarket ones readily available, for less money.

• Like 1

Thanks for this info. Sounds like I should budget £80 a year just for the TPMS on 4 wheels! Did they really need to seal the button cells? Nice little earner for Toyota! 

Its not just the price of the units, its how to program them in and what Toyota charge ?  Also wonder if third party units were fitted if Toyota would  program them in with them not being genuine Toyota parts ?

Expect someone else will have found a way of programming them in  ....? 

Either way is something we cannot avoid as it a Mot failure if  all 4 do not work correctly !

Wonder what else need programming in after replacing, beginning to sound like a friends BMW were everything is programmed in, Battery, wiper Motor etc etc

The valve and the sensor are separate.  I only need the valve to be replaced the sensor is fine so hoping my replacement valve i found will fit ( £12)  and no programming are needed. 

If it's of any use, there are some slightly bigger pictures in this thread from 4 years back.

5 minutes ago, Auris2010 said:

The valve and the sensor are separate.

I didn't notice an obvious joining of two pieces on mine (taken off  ~ 2015 Auris).  I can't see why the manufacturer would allow them to come apart that way, although it would suit your situation! 

I think just the valve core can come out, and that's it.

I'll check the one in my garage shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Corolla TPMS looks like this. The image above is for an Auris

53B3A52C-084B-4856-9676-4A5E3B6726F2.jpeg