Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying advice - Sat Nav

DamoSELdn

Hi there,

New to the forum as I'm in the process of buying my first Toyota - hopefully a Yaris Hybrid!

I've been to see a 2014 Toyota Yaris Hybrid Icon+ this week and I'm getting an AA inspection done tomorrow before proceeding. The car seems to be in great condition (to my relatively untrained eye) and has full service history, etc. One thing that I noticed on the test drive is that pressing the 'Nav' button didn't work. Instead a message saying something like "System not installed" came on screen. 

Now the car was listed as having Sat Nav, rear camera, etc. And the images posted in the ad showed a map on the screen. So I'm wondering why this is no longer the case... Is this a case of the dealer lying about the inclusion of the Sat Nav to begin with? Replacing the touch display with a different unit that didn't have Sat Nav installed?

If everything else comes back fine with the inspection, this is just about the only point I'll want to argue. What do you knowledgable folk recommend? I know I can use my phone but I'd really prefer to have the option of the in-built system, especially as it was listed as being included. How much would it cost to solve this myself after the sale (/how much should I try to get knocked off the price if they don't fit it)?

Thanks all!

Depends how knowledgeable the dealer is re the spec of the car, and whether they have used stock photos instead of actual photos, so the dealer may not be lying as such.

This car will either have the Touch or Touch 2 multimedia system and if the sat nav module (the Go module) hasn't been fitted, the sat nav button will show what you've seen, when pressed.

Fitting a new sat nav module will be expensive, though used units may be available from auction sites, breakers, etc.

Before you buy the car,  confirm with the dealer what the car actually has, and it could be a negotiation point.

If it's advertised as having sat-nav, then it should have it. If you want the car then the dealer has no other alternative than to install it as advertised.

I don't think that model came with it as standard and it'll cost the dealer some considerable amount to install it.

I reckon you have the choice to not buy the car, mumble something about trading standards, not being as advertised etc. or going elsewhere where they can be trusted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

If it's advertised as having sat-nav, then it should have it. If you want the car then the dealer has no other alternative than to install it as advertised.

I don't think that model came with it as standard and it'll cost the dealer some considerable amount to install it.

I reckon you have the choice to not buy the car, mumble something about trading standards, not being as advertised etc. or going elsewhere where they can be trusted.

The above advice is good, Frosty also said it might be a stock photo, some sellers do that, but I would hope that any Toyota dealership would not stoop to those tactics to generate interest in their cars, and I assume it’s not a Toyota dealership that is selling the car. Also Damien you should ensure that the car service history is Toyota service history which will have a bearing on the hybrid Battery life guarantee.

Thanks for the advice all - really helpful.

I will try to investigate costs for the installation so I am armed with the right figures for the negotiations.

Bernard, yes I had a good look at the service history when I was there. All from Steven Eagell Toyota in the Midlands.

53 minutes ago, DamoSELdn said:

Thanks for the advice all - really helpful.

I will try to investigate costs for the installation so I am armed with the right figures for the negotiations.

Bernard, yes I had a good look at the service history when I was there. All from Steven Eagell Toyota in the Midlands.

And you always have the alternative of buying a Garmin or Tomtom, at a fraction of the price of having the installation done 🚗

I wouldn’t push that particular Yaris too much, there will be plenty of choice out there.  But regarding having a sat nav retro fitted..... again don’t push too much, find out the cost of map updates, charges can be very high, and the Toyota map update is considered to be old as soon as updated.  As Bernard says above, consider a TomTom or Garmin, you can get a good unit for around £150 and regular updates for the “life of the unit” - that’s as long as the unit hardware can be updated which could be 5-8 years or so.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Catlover said:

I wouldn’t push that particular Yaris too much, there will be plenty of choice out there.  But regarding having a sat nav retro fitted..... again don’t push too much, find out the cost of map updates, charges can be very high, and the Toyota map update is considered to be old as soon as updated.  As Bernard says above, consider a TomTom or Garmin, you can get a good unit for around £150 and regular updates for the “life of the unit” - that’s as long as the unit hardware can be updated which could be 5-8 years or so.

I can  still update my 10 year old Garmin  Nuvi 1240 purchased 2011

• Like 1

Hi. I Michael, that’s good to know. I suppose if you buy when a new model has been just released you going to get max time for updates. I didn’t know how long a unit could be updated for when I wrote that post, was just trying to encourage Damien there are alternatives if he really wants to go down the route of perusing that particular Yaris.

• Like 1

I would suspect an unintended error in the description by the seller. My 2014 Icon+ (non hybrid) possibly has the same head unit. It does, indeed, have a "Nav" button and displays that same message.

I use a TomTom device or Google Maps on my phone. That has to be a cheaper option than either a different head unit or "upgrading" the existing? Even more so if expensive Toyota map updates are necessary.

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

I would suspect an unintended error in the description by the seller. My 2014 Icon+ (non hybrid) possibly has the same head unit. It does, indeed, have a "Nav" button and displays that same message.

I use a TomTom device or Google Maps on my phone. That has to be a cheaper option than either a different head unit or "upgrading" the existing? Even more so if expensive Toyota map updates are necessary.

I wouldn`t assume it was unintentional Peter. I would ask for the fitment and if refused I would walk away.

As Joe (Catlover) has said above there are plenty Yaris Hybrids around.

Just me being me.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, john p williams said:

I wouldn`t assume it was unintentional Peter.

I know John, but even Toyota dealers (not all!) list inaccurate specifications for their used car stock. Possibly just lazy copy and paste, as the dealer in question here could have done. There might even be an E & OE in the advert?

I agree though, ask nicely citing the advertised spec., if refused, walk. That might change their minds depending on how business has been over the past year.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the info, everyone. It's really appreciated.

In the interests of full transparency, I went back and double-checked things and actually I had mixed up details of two ads I had saved for nearly identical cars. The other model did advertise Sat Nav and displayed the photo with it on screen. This one didn't promise it and didn't include the photo (it showed reverse camera, etc). So not wanting to cast any aspersions on the unnamed dealer - it was my fault getting mixed up!

Based on the advice here and some further research online, it does seem that a separate unit from Garmin/TomTom would be much more affordable than getting the Touch & Go unit installed and updated.

I've had the AA inspection report back now and they've said it's in very condition but there's a few things to look into. Need to get new rear tyres and a spare tyre, possibly replace the rear wiper blade.

The strange one is that the rear centre seat belt is missing a buckle. So, the belt is present (coming down from roof) and there's a buckle on the passenger's left side, but there isn't one on their right side where you would bring the belt across their lap to click it in. The AA thought it might just be down inside/under the seats but couldn't be sure. I'm not likely to have three passengers in the back any time soon so I don't see it as an urgent problem. I can look for it inside or else take it to a Toyota garage to see about a replacement if necessary.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 12.25.05.png

Edited by DamoSELdn
Adding image
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrpj said:

I know John, but even Toyota dealers (not all!) list inaccurate specifications for their used car stock. Possibly just lazy copy and paste, as the dealer in question here could have done. There might even be an E & OE in the advert?

I agree though, ask nicely citing the advertised spec., if refused, walk. That might change their minds depending on how business has been over the past year.

Thanks Peter. I am a mistrusting person borne out of 50 years of Commercial experience.

Just ensure that any deal you make is confirmed in writing before you commit. Assume nothing and forget hearsay.

I wish you well.

1 hour ago, DamoSELdn said:

Thanks again for all the info, everyone. It's really appreciated.

In the interests of full transparency, I went back and double-checked things and actually I had mixed up details of two ads I had saved for nearly identical cars. The other model did advertise Sat Nav and displayed the photo with it on screen. This one didn't promise it and didn't include the photo (it showed reverse camera, etc). So not wanting to cast any aspersions on the unnamed dealer - it was my fault getting mixed up!

Based on the advice here and some further research online, it does seem that a separate unit from Garmin/TomTom would be much more affordable than getting the Touch & Go unit installed and updated.

I've had the AA inspection report back now and they've said it's in very condition but there's a few things to look into. Need to get new rear tyres and a spare tyre, possibly replace the rear wiper blade.

The strange one is that the rear centre seat belt is missing a buckle. So, the belt is present (coming down from roof) and there's a buckle on the passenger's left side, but there isn't one on their right side where you would bring the belt across their lap to click it in. The AA thought it might just be down inside/under the seats but couldn't be sure. I'm not likely to have three passengers in the back any time soon so I don't see it as an urgent problem. I can look for it inside or else take it to a Toyota garage to see about a replacement if necessary.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 12.25.05.png

Take care Damien as a missing Buckle might lead to an M.O.T. failure.

• Like 1

Damien, with the AA report in your hand you have good bargaining power. Find the cost of the 2 tyres, fitted etc, to match the others and a spare (though check there is space for a spare or is it a gunge car), and the rear wiper blade. If you really want the car, negotiate for them to sorting, or discount to cover.

• Like 1

Hi, the missing buckle may just been under the seat, happens often when the seat been removed for some reasons like a battery check or replacement. Sat navs and info screens in cars are absolutely not necessary as long as you have a smartphone, there are apps that works well or even better than any dedicated sat nav or factory fitted sat nav. 
Regards 👍

• Like 2

As above the buckle is under the back seat, mine is only ever used come MOT time, otherwise the belt clips into the holder on the head lining, The belt annoys the heck out of me as its right in the middle when not in use or not clip in it holder

Just a word of warning if a dealer puts tyres on it, they will be cheap Chinese rubbish, i would get them done elsewhere unless you can agree on a decent tyre being fitted

A good mid range tyre is £50-70 fitted depending on size, as it's a 2014 hybrid its £0 road tax too

• Like 1