Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 hybrid alarm randomly goes off at night.

Dave Godney

I have a 2019 hybred Rava4 - no problems but recently the alarm has been randomly going off at nights?

anybody knows what caused this? I go out and turn it off, then it will come back on for 2 or 3 times then it stops?

CHeers Dave

Sometimes the interior sensor is triggered by an insect.  A thorough vacuum cleaning may help.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 7:53 PM, Dave Godney said:

I have a 2019 hybred Rava4 - no problems but recently the alarm has been randomly going off at nights?

anybody knows what caused this? I go out and turn it off, then it will come back on for 2 or 3 times then it stops?

CHeers Dave

Hi Dave did you ever get a resolution to this ? I have cleaned my 2019 RAV4 thoroughly and have vacuumed every crevis for insects but still goes off ? I'm at the point of reporting it to Toyota but it's a real inconvenience getting the car to them. Thanks, Pete

One option (until it's fixed) is to disable the ultrasonic part of the alarm using the button in the roof panel after switching off and before locking the car.  You'd need to do this every time.  That's assuming your car isn't in a high risk area.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this twice now in the night.  Weird it never happens during the day when it's locked.

So I guess I'll be trying the fly spray.

Toyotas must be really sensitive.  There's loads of threads on here for it happening across their entire car range, but I've never had this happen in any other car I've owned in 34 years of driving.

The challenge in diagnosing this sort of problem is that it is not reproducible at will!

The most likely culprit is the intrusion sensor (and the intruding creepy crawly). As Pete said above, you can disable that part of the alarm system each time you set it ...

There is also a dealer customisation setting to reduce the sensitivity of the sensor from Standard to Low which might help.

I did have such a problem many years ago in a different marque which took months to resolve - turned out to be a temperature sensitive fault in the wiring loom ...

• Like 2

I've had it in lots of cars of various makes, nearly always due to insects etc.

The one variation was when I had a Volvo in the 1990s which I parked in a side road near a bus stop close to the M1.  I used to catch a coach into London.  One evening when I returned a resident told me the alarm had been going off lots during the day (he was very nice about it) and helpfully advised that the double decker buses seemed to set it off as the went past.

I knew from when I'd sat next to one in traffic that their engines were quite 'throbby' and made the whole car vibrate slightly, and armed with that intel my dealer helpfully collected the car from home the next evening (after I'd parked that day with the alarm off!), left me with a loan car and fixed the issue at the first attempt.

The car is going back to the dealer next week for the boot repair so I might ask them to do the sensitivity too, cheers for that.

Just to chime in on this.  I had this with my corolla last year and as much as i thought people's suggestions were mad about it being an insect i just bit the bullet and cleaned out the car with a duster and then fly sprayed the crap  out of the interior and shut all the doors and locked up,  came back the following morning to find a fairly large whispy looking insect (not a moth) and since then i've had no problems.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hi l have a 2017 rav 4 hybrid and the alarm has started to go off at nights. Went online and checked and a lot of people said to change fob Battery which l did. It stopped for a while and started again. I checked again online and someone suggested l change the 12v Battery in the boot. I came out to car this morning and it was dead and after trying it a few times it started. I have ordered a new 12v Battery and is getting fitted tomorrow so l will see if it is any better.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links