Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi, anyone else had a Auris recall for an old Auris ?

Mike 2121

I'm so annoyed that im forced to have work done on a nine year old car , that I've had for a year and a half lol, god knows what other potential issues the work might cause.

Before I purchased the car I checked for recalls and there were none. This is something I really Don't need as I've got too much on at the moment. Sorry if anyone is offended by this, but I just feel that some of these recalls are abit of a scam because YES even though recalls are done for free, we all know that work done on used cars can cause stress and influence other issues which 'equals' more work having to be done which 'equals' more money for the car industry 😏😏

Are recalls required by law ??   I can't seem find a straight answer
IMG_20210416_012318355_HDR.thumb.jpg.22fbf1d87f85f026dc55f2a98e2fb62d.jpg

If a recall is announced by DVSA, legally manufacturers have to take action to contact owners re arranging for the specific recall to be undertaken. It isn't a choice for the manufacturer.

As your recall is regarding the airbags, and potential failure of the system, it would be irresponsible not to arrange for the work to be carried out. Essentially it is the safety of you and your passengers which is at risk.

Furthermore if your car was involved in an accident, and it was apparent you were aware of an outstanding recall involving the safety restraint system, but didn't have the recall done, it may adversely affect any insurance claim made.

Just get the recall done.

• Like 2

As FBalls has said above, the DVLA recall are not a scam but a legal requirement.  I get a bit agitated when I know there has been a DVLA recall but work has been delayed.  One particular worthy of mention was the recall by many manufacturers (not just Toyota) of faulty air bag systems. Manufacturers were buying from a certain company, the fault became universally known, upshot was the company went into closing down mode, leaving the motor industry trying to source replacements. Has taken couple years and may not still be complete on a worldwide basis.

You could perhaps try another source of transport - electric bicycles maybe. 😳

Not had a recall on my Auris but I've had recall on my wife's RAV4. They just did what was necessary, I think they might have sent a marketing email about future servicing but that was it. I'd get it booked in.

• Like 2

It never fails to amaze me. A manufacturer finds a safety related fault, customer thinks it's a scam to con money out of you :rolleyes:

We do a visual inspection report on every car that comes in, it's a duty of care for you and your car. Lot's of people never check a thing under the bonnet, let alone tyre tread depths etc. When we report a car needing any work, it's up to you if you take ownership of that. Many people with older cars will leave the garage with faults that should be rectified immediately, it's up to the customer to approve or decline anything that needs doing 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If it's safety related (and it's probably an airbag recall), it's free, then why not? I had an old VW that got recalled for an exploding heater matrix at 12 years old. Ironically it'd started blowing steam out of the dash vents the week before. 🤣

Parts plus labour must have been half the value of the car, but they did it quickly and efficiently...

• Like 1

Glad your going to get it done.

Any Garage has a duty of care and inspecting your car is part of that. At least issues are advised and up to you to either have them done at Toyota or Independent.

I always like watching the video Toyota send you and find it reassuring. They even noticed my passenger wiper was juddering on a service. Phoned me to ask if I would like it replaced. Fitted an Optifit blade fitted and it was £7. Much less than they initially said. Sure it was £14. Seemed no labour charge as have service plan.

Tyres were advisory as 80% worn. Was due MOT a few months later and asked if I should replace before MOT. Told no, get more use out of them. So not out to make money.

Recently had a new 12volt Battery fitted. Quoted £145 fitted. Fitted it and only £125 charged. To be totally honest I cant fault my Local Inchcape Toyota Dealer.

James.👍

• Like 2

I had done all the recalls, actually it’s the only time so far when my car went to a garage and once a year for an mot. Done previously recall on old Mitsubishi that was worth probably half the price of the recall itself but dealer were pleased to work on, since they get paid in full by the manufacturer, they also said that these old cars looked so well most of the owners went for it. And yes they did recommended a brake pads change which I had done myself shortly after. No need to agree for any further work if they recommend but it’s always good to double check yourself what they offer. 

Done the recall last December on my Auris as they notified me for it. it was about passenger, driver and knee airbags which reportedly didn't ''open'' in accidents due to some fault. Toyota was super helpful and replaced 3 airbags in just couple of hours, I don't really see the problem here. its something that's regarding your security and safety and it should be done no matter what. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Auris James said:

Tyres were advisory as 80% worn. Was due MOT a few months later and asked if I should replace before MOT. Told no, get more use out of them. So not out to make money.

Tyres can be a difficult decision that depend on a few considerations... if you intend keeping the car for a long time then yes, it makes sense to get the most from them, on the other hand if you might be selling it in a year or two then it makes more sense for you to be the one to benefit from new rubber now and not a prospective buyer/trade in further down the line. Worst scenario of all is finding you need new tyres just before you need to sell it or give it its final MOT.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Tyres can be a difficult decision that depend on a few considerations... if you intend keeping the car for a long time then yes, it makes sense to get the most from them, on the other hand if you might be selling it in a year or two then it makes more sense for you to be the one to benefit from new rubber now and not a prospective buyer/trade in further down the line. Worst scenario of all is finding you need new tyres just before you need to sell it or give it its final MOT.

Plan to keep for several years or more, so at least I'll benefit from new tyres. Would be mad to change financially to a Corolla as my Auris has only 33,000miles, in good nick and extended warranty and service plan for another 2 years. Would have to pay an extra 12-14k for a Corolla Hybrid. A Corolla TS would be my next car.

James.

• Like 1

Just a Hi,finding my way around,newbi. have the 2015 auris hybrid excel sport.

took the front tyres off for vibration through steering caused by the originals being hard rubber in winter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links