Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screeching noise when pulling away 2021 Touring Sport

Ickleme79

Hi,

My 2021 corolla touring sport has just started making a terrible screeching noise when pulling away or coming to a stop.

Dealer says this is the noise they have to make by law now but it's so loud my husband came running out of the house to see what was wrong.

It is so loud. Can anyone confirm if this is normal or there corolla makes this noise? 

I have just managed to attach a sound recording

Thanks

Corolla.mp3

Presumably the dealer was referring to the Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS).

Legislation was introduced in 2019 which requires electric and hybrid vehicles with new Type Approval from July 2019 to be fitted with AVAS in order to make pedestrians aware of an approaching vehicle travelling at low speed. From July 2021, all new vehicles sold from this date will require AVAS to be a mandatory fitment.

AVAS is really aimed at protecting blind and visually impaired pedestrians, who may not see/hear vehicles travelling at low speeds whilst in electric mode.

Although the Corolla's Type Approval was prior to July 2019, it has now been fitted to 2021 specs in advance of the July deadline.

Also see:

It sounds a bit raucous but isn't mechanical so I suppose it must be AVAS.

Hi

Has this noise been since you had the car from new? To my ears it doesn't sound right, has the dealer actually heard it? 

31 minutes ago, Revolver said:

Hi

Has this noise been since you had the car from new? To my ears it doesn't sound right, has the dealer actually heard it? 

It was silent when I first bought it. Mother in law even commented on how quiet it was as we pulled away from her.

Sent the dealer the sound clip and they say it is AVAS. They also said maybe it's never come on before today? 

Just sounds a bit too loud to me and doesn't make sense when it was previously so quiet.

Thanks for the reply 

https://youtu.be/80VKMkrJ6CAIf this is the Toyota AVAS working surely it would not be louder than 1.8 / 2.0 petrol engine. I found the above link, again you shouldn't be hearing a loud noise from within the car. I would go to the supplier and ask to hear the AVAS on a demo car. 

Sounds like a piglet being taken from its mother glad mine has not got it😂

AVAS should work at any time the vehicle is travelling in electric mode at speeds up to approx 20kph.

I would suggest just sending the dealer a sound clip isn't the ideal way of determining whether this is the AVAS or something else. Arrange to visit the dealer so they can hear the issue and see what speed it comes in at.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

AVAS should work at any time the vehicle is travelling in electric mode at speeds up to approx 20kph.

I would suggest just sending the dealer a sound clip isn't the ideal way of determining whether this is the AVAS or something else. Arrange to visit the dealer so they can hear the issue and see what speed it comes in at.

It is booked in on Tuesday. I've asked to test drive another to see what noise that makes

36 minutes ago, Revolver said:

https://youtu.be/80VKMkrJ6CAIf this is the Toyota AVAS working surely it would not be louder than 1.8 / 2.0 petrol engine. I found the above link, again you shouldn't be hearing a loud noise from within the car. I would go to the supplier and ask to hear the AVAS on a demo car. 

Thanks for that. I was trying to find a video of what it sounds like. It does sound like it could be that but it is so loud.

Will see what the dealer says on Tuesday. Odd how it has only started today. I pulled away from our parents at the weekend. Window down and nothing. Strange indeed.

18 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Sounds like a piglet being taken from its mother glad mine has not got it😂

I don't blame you. It is an awful noise. Almost sounds like metal on metal and really loud!

The noise clip is definitely the AVAS and as mentioned above it will only operate when the car is moving slower than 20kph and only in electric operation.

See example HERE & HERE

I would have thought that Toyota Hybrids would incorporate the same beep beeping sound effects that all lorrys make when reversing because everyone knows and recognizes that sound. In my humble opinion it’s a better option. That sounds like a banshees wailing.🤣.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I believe this will be on my GR Sport when it arrives in a couple of months, it's a shame they didn't just amplify the cool sound electric motor whine but i guess the more annoying it sounds the more people will turn around and wonder what that noise is while you try and look away not being embarrassed and saying sorry it's just my car 😄 

I will miss the silent, stealthy and deadly approach of my 2019 Corolla 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bewA said:

I believe this will be on my GR Sport when it arrives in a couple of months, it's a shame they didn't just amplify the cool sound electric motor whine but i guess the more annoying it sounds the more people will turn around and wonder what that noise is while you try and look away not being embarrassed and saying sorry it's just my car 😄 

I will miss the silent, stealthy and deadly approach of my 2019 Corolla 😞

BMW small electric car has that super cool noise , exactly amplified noise like Prius I called. On the other hand my girlfriend Hyundai has the worst of all I ever heard, sounds like old Samsung smartphone or washing machine with issues 😂🤭

• Haha 1

My neighbour has a newer RAV4 and I think it sounds okay. It's not a 'screech' sound at all. More like a cross between a whine and a hum. Sounds quite space-age.

• Like 2

My late 2020 TS makes a UFO type noise, not a high pitched squeak, but a hum. . 

• Like 1

My GR Sport TS has the AVAS sound, it’s not intrusive, you can’t hear it inside the car unless the window is down. 

If yours is producing a loud screeching sound then sounds like something else to me. A stone stuck somewhere rubbing on a brake disc? 

• Like 1

The recording provided by the OP is the same AVAS noise my May 21 1.8TS makes. Louder in reverse than forwards. Pedestrians still don't notice!

14 hours ago, Gray86 said:

My late 2020 TS makes a UFO type noise, not a high pitched squeak, but a hum. . 

I think that's how I'd describe the noise from the RAV4. I can imagine a flying saucer drifting across the landscape...

..except I don't believe in flying saucers.

..aliens, yes, definitely. Possibly but unlikely aliens visiting Earth. Even less likely aliens visiting Earth during the time when humans are around. Extremely unlikely aliens visiting current day Earth and allowing themselves to be seen or heard by humans 🙂

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, RabButler said:

The recording provided by the OP is the same AVAS noise my May 21 1.8TS makes. Louder in reverse than forwards. Pedestrians still don't notice!

Hey, those text messages won't read themselves you know!

• Haha 1

The noise is exactly the same on my Corolla and as previously stated it is louder in reverse.  It is not a pleasant sound, would have been much better if it was a simulated petrol engine which is the noise pedestrians are accustomed to.

• Haha 1

The noise isn't aimed at just pedestrians - it is intended to help those who are visually impaired. So perhaps something different to engine sounds and more of a warning sound is what is needed. There has probably been research done (not car manufacturers but someone like Thatcham Research) into the type of sound that works best.

It would be cool if you could select from a range of approved sounds e.g.

• cool spaceship sounding noise
  • Amplified electric motor whine
  • Star Trek Warp Core hum
  • nails on a chalk board
  • grinding brakes
  • crazy frog

The top 3 would be my preferred ones 😄

• Thanks 1

A clothes peg and a bit of card in the wheel spokes worked on my bicycle.

• Haha 4