Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sudden loud creaky noise right hand side hinge of boot and boot not closing

wadi16

Hi all,

Today when I opened the boot I noticed a really really loud and concerning creaking noise from the right hand side of my boot. I cannot tell why this is or what has caused it. The boot looks perfectly fine and nothing has happened to it. 

Also it seems harder to close even though there is no obstruction? Even with greater force it doesn't really close (we did it light in the video because we were scared it would break)

I've only ever put groceries in the boot. 

Any ideas as we are totally baffled!?

Given its age and under warranty, I'd take it to Toyota dealer and let them look at it.

I would say the closing is acceptable, but the opening - something must be causing the noise. Does your ear take you in any direction.?

9 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I would say the closing is acceptable, but the opening - something must be causing the noise. Does your ear take you in any direction.?

It seems to be coming from the right hand side hinge but Im at a loss as to why this has opened overnight. I cannot visually see a difference to the left hinge and nothing is damaged.

We put in 2 bags of mid weight groceries (less than 10 kg in total) the day before. When we unloaded it yesterday there was no noise, same with the closing of it...and overnight it seems to now make this noise consistently when opening and closing. Even a bit of WD40 didn't help much. Very bizarre....off to Toyota again it seems!

If you lift the hatch slower you may be able to locate the exact source easier. If you do, a spot of thin oil will be better then WD40, which is a great releasing fluid but as a lubricant not so good as it dries up quickly, leaving you will a squeak again.

Probably dealer visit the best.

• Thanks 1

I would agree with Catlover (Joe) that the closing is normal. The noise only is noticeable at the end of the tailgate travel. If a small spot of thin lubricating oil on each hinge doesn’t cure the problem, it may be one or both of the lift arms needs replaced. In that case if the car is still under warranty, take it to the dealership.

Possible struts failure, best to try clip off the struts and try opening and closing without them, if no noise these are for change, you may try one by one each side to pinpoint whether both or only one is faulty, perhaps best to leave it to the dealer to deal with since would be warranty job most likely, too new car to fail anything like that. 
Regards 

• Like 2